• Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Poll

Who will get your vote?

McCain
26 (46.4%)
Obama
27 (48.2%)
Kellie
1 (1.8%)
Not voting
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: The next president part II  (Read 13957 times)

Offline andrea

• Admin
    • My Blog
Re: The next president part II
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm still walking the fence on this one... sigh

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline shannon

• Level 4
    « Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • I never saw that ad.  This is a weird voting year.  I am 90% sure I am voting for McCain but personally I find him creepy.  He reminds me of the dead cult leader in poltergiest 2.......ewwwwwww

shan
    Shannon, mom to Ben 16, Sam 14 and Jamie 4 years old. Sam dx with diabetes @12mo old, pumping with t slim

Offline Tara

• Level 4
    « Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 01:10:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oh my I love these threads!!  

If I can't vote for Kellie, it will be Obama!!  Most know me by now - I am gay and pro-choice so it's an easy pick for me.  It is such a clear cut thing for me, I find it so interesting to hear from people who are undecided or unsure.  
    Tara
    Mom to Finn, 4 years old, dx 8/29/05 and Niamh, 3 years old

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • I never saw that ad.  This is a weird voting year.  I am 90% sure I am voting for McCain but personally I find him creepy.  He reminds me of the dead cult leader in poltergiest 2.......ewwwwwww

shan

Ewwww, he does look like that guy!
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • this article just came in my google alerts

http://www.lifenews.com/bio2584.html

Barack Obama Stem Cell Research Ad Ignores Best Diabetes Hope: Adult Cells

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Barack Obama is running a misleading radio ad on the issue of stem cell research -- falsely accusing presidential candidate John McCain of voting against it. The ad, which features a mother of a child with juvenile diabetes, also ignores how adult stem cell research provides the most hope for patients.

The Obama ad features a woman named Jody Montgomery. In the commercial, she says "my daughter Maddy was diagnosed with Type I Juvenile Diabetes at age 3."

"Six times a day, I take her blood. Six times a day, I pray for a cure. Researchers are working hard to do just that. Our best hope is stem cell research, and thatís why we support Barack Obama," she continues.

Actually, the best hope for children who have Type I Juvenile Diabetes is adult stem cell research -- which John McCain strongly supports and has repeatedly voted for as a member of the Senate.

Last year, Dr. Richard Burt of Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Obama's hometown, worked with scientists from Brazil. Their research showed adult stem cell treatments can help patients with diabetes to be insulin free.

The scientists published their findings in the April 2007 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association and found that 14 of 15 patients became insulin free after the adult stem cell treatments.

"It's the first time in the history of Type 1 diabetes where people have gone with no treatment whatsoever ... no medications at all, with normal blood sugars," Dr. Burt said in the groundbreaking study.

That would seem like a real miracle for the millions of Americans who suffer from diabetes.

Ironically, while the adult stem cells were successful and embryonic stem cells have never been used on human patients because of several major problems in animal studies, the Obama ad criticizes McCain.

"John McCain has stood in the way ... he's opposed stem cell research. Picked a running mate who's against it," the Obama ad falsely claims.

In another irony, leading diabetes groups in the U.S., which heavily funded lobbying efforts to get the Senate to approve a bill to force taxpayers to fund embryonic stem cell research, wouldn't put money behind the study.

The JAMA article featuring Burt's research lists the sources of funding for the study and the researchers involved had to get funds from a private corporation and the Brazilian Ministry of Health.

That's because the American Diabetes Association and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation did not put any money behind it and, instead, have spent countless funds lobbying Congress to fund embryonic stem cell research, which has yet to help any patients.

Emails to both organizations from LifeNews.com asking why they did not get involved with the Brazil diabetes study went unanswered.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline shannon

• Level 4
    « Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »
  • Publish

shan

Ewwww, he does look like that guy!

I know, It's really creepy. Just imagine him saying "hey little girl".....OMG I just freaked my self out! I will still vote for him, just not watch him on TV alot.  I rank him right up there with muppets.

shan
    Shannon, mom to Ben 16, Sam 14 and Jamie 4 years old. Sam dx with diabetes @12mo old, pumping with t slim

Offline Tara

• Level 4
    « Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • That is the big divide between the right and the left.  The right makes the case for adult stem cells only, the left makes the case for also using embryonic stem cells.  It's an extention of the abortion debate, with all the same passion.
    Tara
    Mom to Finn, 4 years old, dx 8/29/05 and Niamh, 3 years old

Offline ~Tonya~

• Level 4
      • Martin Motorsports
    « Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 01:23:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • That article is very interesting... I might have to reconsider....
    Tonya, age 32, mother to Josh, 13 years old, diagnosed 09/28/2006. Pumping with MM since 10/07. Northern California.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • it seems that the article is from a prolife media, and of course that sets the tones...

but it does reaffirm why I don't depend on commercials to make my choice

My blog

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 01:26:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • it seems that the article is from a prolife media, and of course that sets the tones...

but it does reaffirm why I don't depend on commercials to make my choice

Commercials mean absolutely nothing to me at all!!  They are just bashing each other and only give snippets of info.  If there is something I am really concerned about, I do my own research!
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 01:28:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • I completely agree...

although I have to chuckle at cnn today... obama/biden have been blasting Palin for the bridge to nowhere and 'changing her mind' in the end... and it was released that they both voted for funding the 'road to nowhere' and against diverting the funds to katrina relief... makes them look a little silly

My blog

Offline Betty

• Level 4
    « Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 01:28:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oh my I love these threads!!  

If I can't vote for Kellie, it will be Obama!!  Most know me by now - I am gay and pro-choice so it's an easy pick for me.  It is such a clear cut thing for me, I find it so interesting to hear from people who are undecided or unsure.  

<roflmao> Tara i'm stunned I thought you'd be out on the trail stumping for mc mc cain! ha ha Just kidding....

i actually am very conflicted right now I dislike mc cain as a person and don't believe him when he talks smack. (i'm a very conservative person) but both canidates do their best to wiggle to the center and appeal to the widest base. I might vote for obama even though i am to the far right on most issues.

IMO.
    1. I don't like or trust mc cain.(I really really dislike him)  Palin has too little experience and while i am sure she is a nice enough person, i wouldn't want her to be "the leader of the free world"
    2. obama talks smack too, but i think he'd try to appoint people to help him make good rational decisions and he seems to try to think things through before he makes big decisions, Biden and obama both have issues and i diagree with many policies and viewpoints ect..... but if I can't have kellie........

so I don't know what i will do, can i vote for me even though i am 29? ;) ;)

COMMON SENSE _ : it is so freaking rare, it is a SUPER POWER

Betty is the mom of Michael 9 (dx 07) (Omnipod and Dexcom)Matt 6, Daniel 4 ,Stephen 2, and Jacob 1 week old UTAH

Offline ~Tonya~

• Level 4
      • Martin Motorsports
    « Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 01:35:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Honestly... I have never voted, because they all lie, bash each other, and how do you know what to believe? All the bills are written, and used by "their" interpretation... not yours....
    Tonya, age 32, mother to Josh, 13 years old, diagnosed 09/28/2006. Pumping with MM since 10/07. Northern California.

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Honestly... I have never voted, because they all lie, bash each other, and how do you know what to believe? All the bills are written, and used by "their" interpretation... not yours....

They do, but ya can't bitch and complain if you never casted a vote!!  That is why we also can vote for issues, not just the person per say.

Offline mandi_smom

• Level 4
    « Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • this article just came in my google alerts

http://www.lifenews.com/bio2584.html

Barack Obama Stem Cell Research Ad Ignores Best Diabetes Hope: Adult Cells

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Barack Obama is running a misleading radio ad on the issue of stem cell research -- falsely accusing presidential candidate John McCain of voting against it. The ad, which features a mother of a child with juvenile diabetes, also ignores how adult stem cell research provides the most hope for patients.

The Obama ad features a woman named Jody Montgomery. In the commercial, she says "my daughter Maddy was diagnosed with Type I Juvenile Diabetes at age 3."

"Six times a day, I take her blood. Six times a day, I pray for a cure. Researchers are working hard to do just that. Our best hope is stem cell research, and thatís why we support Barack Obama," she continues.

Actually, the best hope for children who have Type I Juvenile Diabetes is adult stem cell research -- which John McCain strongly supports and has repeatedly voted for as a member of the Senate.

Last year, Dr. Richard Burt of Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Obama's hometown, worked with scientists from Brazil. Their research showed adult stem cell treatments can help patients with diabetes to be insulin free.

The scientists published their findings in the April 2007 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association and found that 14 of 15 patients became insulin free after the adult stem cell treatments.

"It's the first time in the history of Type 1 diabetes where people have gone with no treatment whatsoever ... no medications at all, with normal blood sugars," Dr. Burt said in the groundbreaking study.

That would seem like a real miracle for the millions of Americans who suffer from diabetes.

Ironically, while the adult stem cells were successful and embryonic stem cells have never been used on human patients because of several major problems in animal studies, the Obama ad criticizes McCain.

"John McCain has stood in the way ... he's opposed stem cell research. Picked a running mate who's against it," the Obama ad falsely claims.

In another irony, leading diabetes groups in the U.S., which heavily funded lobbying efforts to get the Senate to approve a bill to force taxpayers to fund embryonic stem cell research, wouldn't put money behind the study.

The JAMA article featuring Burt's research lists the sources of funding for the study and the researchers involved had to get funds from a private corporation and the Brazilian Ministry of Health.

That's because the American Diabetes Association and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation did not put any money behind it and, instead, have spent countless funds lobbying Congress to fund embryonic stem cell research, which has yet to help any patients.

Emails to both organizations from LifeNews.com asking why they did not get involved with the Brazil diabetes study went unanswered.

This is what they keep arguing with. But no one has been able to explain to me how discarding (throwing in the garbage) embryonic stem cells is a better idea than using them to hopefully find cures for many diseases.  I do not get it.  I know they say this will lead to cloning but I don't see how if you regulate it and make sure things are done as they should(that's why laws are put in place).  From what I have read, embryonic stem cells have more promise because they are able to replicate or reproduce indefinitely.

Yolanda (Mom to Amanda 21 dx 3/27/06, pumping w/MM since 10/06 and Alec 17) South Florida=

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything