• Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Poll

Who will get your vote?

McCain
26 (46.4%)
Obama
27 (48.2%)
Kellie
1 (1.8%)
Not voting
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: The next president part II  (Read 14232 times)

Offline ~Tonya~

• Level 4
    • Martin Motorsports
Re: The next president part II
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Honestly... I have never voted, because they all lie, bash each other, and how do you know what to believe? All the bills are written, and used by "their" interpretation... not yours....

They do, but ya can't bitch and complain if you never casted a vote!!  That is why we also can vote for issues, not just the person per say.

I don't bitch... I have just been trying to learn more since diagnosis, because there are issues now that affect me and are important to me.
    Tonya, age 32, mother to Josh, 13 years old, diagnosed 09/28/2006. Pumping with MM since 10/07. Northern California.

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 01:45:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yolanda, I'm with you!  All info out there on stem cell research says that it is much more accurate and promising than adult stem cells.  Also, they destroy the cells anyway!  Why not use them to help out our kids?
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Honestly... I have never voted, because they all lie, bash each other, and how do you know what to believe? All the bills are written, and used by "their" interpretation... not yours....

They do, but ya can't bitch and complain if you never casted a vote!!  That is why we also can vote for issues, not just the person per say.

I don't bitch... I have just been trying to learn more since diagnosis, because there are issues now that affect me and are important to me.

I didn't mean that you bitch personally.  I was just saying that if ya don't vote, you have only yourself to blame for the outcome.  I guess that sounds bad too.  I'm just sticking my foot in my mouth today!  No offense intended!
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline ~Tonya~

• Level 4
      • Martin Motorsports
    « Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
  • Publish

I didn't mean that you bitch personally.  I was just saying that if ya don't vote, you have only yourself to blame for the outcome.  I guess that sounds bad too.  I'm just sticking my foot in my mouth today!  No offense intended!

No offense taken! I am learning all about this.
    Tonya, age 32, mother to Josh, 13 years old, diagnosed 09/28/2006. Pumping with MM since 10/07. Northern California.

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
  • Publish

No offense taken! I am learning all about this.

Ok, I just didn't want my opinions to piss anyone off.

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Okay, I gotta tell ya, President DelVecchio might just make me want to move out of the country!  <roflmao>
    Heck as good as "First Dude" would be, I'd be right behind ya going to the Great White North if Kellie was elected!
    Chris
    -Daddy to Emily (9) dx 6/24/08 and Christopher (14) dx 7/25/04 and Ava

Offline mandi_smom

• Level 4
    « Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • and the reason why these embryonic stem cells have yet to help anyone is b/c in the 70's they made a law that prohibits creating embryonic stem cell lines and makes it a felony to do so.  

scientists are only able to use what the govt allows...Bush approved that 21 cell lines be used for research(these could not be used b/c they were contaminated)...so scientists have to go outside the US to find them and thats very expensive.
    Yolanda (Mom to Amanda 21 dx 3/27/06, pumping w/MM since 10/06 and Alec 17) South Florida=

Offline Nikki

• Friend
    « Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Okay, I gotta tell ya, President DelVecchio might just make me want to move out of the country!  <roflmao>
    Heck as good as "First Dude" would be, I'd be right behind ya going to the Great White North if Kellie was elected!

I'll have a Molson on ice waiting for your arrival.  <roflmao>
    ~Nikki
    Mom to Morgan (16, dx 7-13-04, pumpin' w/minimed since 1/30/06) Jessica (22) Tyler (21) and Rodney (13) Step Mom to Mickele (28)
    Grandma to Hannah (8) Layla (5) Addison (4) Joey (2) and Zoie (2 months)
    Rotterdam New York

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • As a woman who has had 2 rounds of invitro fertilization, I feel it should be up to the family if they want to donate their "left over" embryos.  When we got pregnant with Rylee, we had 19 eggs which fertilized and divided therefore making 19 embryos - they implanted 3 embryos into me and only one took.  The remaining 16 embryos were "destroyed."  On our second attempt 5 years ago, we had 20 eggs which fertilized and divided therefore making 20 embryos and they implanted 2 embryos into me which none of them took  :'(  The remaining 18 embryos were "destroyed."  In some cases, rare cases, they can feeze the embryos to be used in a later attempt at invitro but really good infertility doctors don't do this very often because it is expensive and a lot of the time, unfreezing them and implanting is unsuccessful.

So I personally have had 24 embryos destroyed.  Well technically those embryos were mine and Dennis' children and we should have the right to donate them to science if we wanted but we don't have the right.

Do the math on how many women have had invitro and their "left over" embryos were destroyed.
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • more on the so-called McCain against Embryonic Stem Cells
    Statement By Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) On Misleading Obama Attack Ad On Stem Cell Research

ARLINGTON, VA -- U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) today issued the following statement on Barack Obama's misleading new radio ad on stem cell research, which is airing in the Philadelphia suburbs:

"The fact is John McCain has been a champion for stem cell research, which holds the promise of curing devastating diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart disease. John McCain bucked the majority of our party in standing strong with me in urging the Bush Administration to lift restrictions on stem cell research, and last year voted to overturn the Bush policy.

"Delaware Valley voters deserve the truth: On stem cell research and so many other issues, John McCain is a maverick who always puts his country first. As president, he'll advance the cause of potentially lifesaving medical research that can free families from the fear and devastation of illness."

FACT CHECK: OBAMA RADIO AD FALSELY ALLEGES THAT MCCAIN DOES NOT SUPPORT STEM CELL RESEARCH, WHEN HE CLEARLY DOES

Misleading Obama Radio Ad Alleges That John McCain Does Not Support Stem Cell Research

Read Script Of Radio Ad

John McCain Has Strongly Supported Stem Cell Research, Voting Against Majority Of His Own Party

McCain: "Mr. President, stem cell research has the potential to give us a better understanding of deadly diseases and spinal cord injuries affecting millions of Americans." (Office Of Sen. John McCain, Statement By John McCain On Stem Cell Research, 4/11/07)

McCain: "I believe that we need to fund this. This is a tough issue for those of us in the pro-life community. I would remind you that these stem cells are either going to be discarded or perpetually frozen. We need to do what we can to relieve human suffering. It's a tough issue. I support federal funding." (John McCain, Democratic Debate, Simi Valley, CA, 5/3/07)

John McCain Twice Voted To Expand Federal Funding For Stem Cell Research. (S. 5, Senate Vote #127: Passed 63-34: R 17-32; D 44-2, 4/11/07, McCain Voted Yea; H.R. 810, Senate Vote #206: Passed 63-37: R: 19-36; D 42-1, 7/18/06, McCain Voted Yea)

In April 2007, John McCain Voted "To Reject Restrictions President Bush Has Placed On" Stem Cell Research. (S. 5, Senate Vote #127: Passed 63-34: R 17-32; D 44-2, 4/11/07; Nicole Gaouette, "Senate Strongly Rejects Bush's Curbs On Stem-Cell Research," Los Angeles Times, 4/12/07)

In 2004, McCain Signed Letter With 58 Other Senators To President Bush Urging Him To Ease Restrictions On Embryonic Stem Cell Research. "We write to urge you to expand the current federal policy concerning embryonic stem cell research. As you know, embryonic stem cells have the potential to be used to treat and better understand deadly and disabling diseases and conditions that affect more than 100 million Americans, such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, and many others. ... Mr. President, we know that you have been a strong supporter of medical research and share our commitment to curing disease and alleviating human suffering. We would very much like to work with you to modify the current embryonic stem cell policy so that it provides this area of research the greatest opportunity to lead to the treatments and cures for which we are all hoping." (Letter From 58 Senators To President Bush To Ease Restrictions On Embryonic Stem Cell Research, 6/4/08)

Thats not heresay or double talk- thats fact!
    Chris

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • I thought it's always been known that McCain is for embryonic stem cells!  I think he has always made his position on this topic very clear.
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • I think the confusion is based on the fact that hes trying to keep the real rightwing prolifers in check and not pissing them off.
    Hes clearly for using already created embryos but clearly against making new ones just for the science.

Both candidates do it- actually all politicians do it. People need someone willing to reach out because no one party line is 100% righ on ANY OF THE ISSUES. I'm just more comfortable that John McCain will provide that for us.
    Chris

Offline Bernadette

• Staff
    « Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Obama scares the hell out of me and his wife is the meanest angry black woman I have ever seen. I keep on thinking that this must be an skit from SNL it just cannot be real LOL

Anthony (age 21) dx age 9   2/24/2004

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • From the Pew Forum:

McCain opposes embryonic stem cell research that uses cloned human embryos. In 2006 he supported a trio of U.S. Senate bills designed to increase federal funding for adult stem cell research, ban the creation of embryos for research and offer federal support for research using embryos slated for destruction by fertility clinics. In 2007, in what he described as "a very agonizing and tough decision," he voted to allow research using human embryos left over from fertility treatments.

From McCain's own site, clearly he is avoiding talking about embryos that have been created already!

Stem cell research offers tremendous hope for those suffering from a variety of deadly diseases - hope for both cures and life-extending treatments. However, the compassion to relieve suffering and to cure deadly disease cannot erode moral and ethical principles.

For this reason, John McCain opposes the intentional creation of human embryos for research purposes. To that end, Senator McCain voted to ban the practice of "fetal farming," making it a federal crime for researchers to use cells or fetal tissue from an embryo created for research purposes. Furthermore, he voted to ban attempts to use or obtain human cells gestated in animals. Finally, John McCain strongly opposes human cloning and voted to ban the practice, and any related experimentation, under federal law.

As president, John McCain will strongly support funding for promising research programs, including amniotic fluid and adult stem cell research and other types of scientific study that do not involve the use of human embryos.

Where federal funds are used for stem cell research, Senator McCain believes clear lines should be drawn that reflect a refusal to sacrifice moral values and ethical principles for the sake of scientific progress, and that any such research should be subject to strict federal guidelines.

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 02:58:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have tried to become more educated regarding stem cell research since Rylee's dx but I need to really become more educated about it.
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas

[/UR

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything