• Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Poll

Who will get your vote?

McCain
26 (46.4%)
Obama
27 (48.2%)
Kellie
1 (1.8%)
Not voting
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: The next president part II  (Read 14314 times)

Offline andrea

• Admin
    • My Blog
Re: The next president part II
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ummm...Bush Doctrine anyone?  Come on!!!!!!!!!

personally I think that was a really loaded and open ended question... I've been closely following this administration, and if I were to have been asked this question, I would have had to ask... 'which one'... talk about a flip-flopper... but she couldn't do that, party politics and all *shrug*

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Bernadette

• Staff
    « Reply #61 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Really Linds? I thought that she handled the interview beautifully.

Anthony (age 21) dx age 9   2/24/2004

Offline stillinshock

• Level 4
    « Reply #62 on: September 27, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • My dad has been a democrat for his whole life up until last election. I have as well. the difference between him and I? I am staying that way..
    Kristi, mom to Kaleb 17 ( dx 12-15-07 ) pumping with a blue ping (11-17-08)  and
    Riley 11 (non-D) IOWA

One by one the penguins steal my sanity..

Offline Kristen

• Level 4
    • Parents o Caleb dx Dec. 7,2006 & Abby non diabetic
      • Caleb
    « Reply #63 on: September 28, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • October 25, 2006
    The Unconscionable Claims of Michael J. Fox
    By Mary L. Davenport, MD
    The popular and appealing actor Michael J. Fox has taken to the airwaves in Senate battleground states Missouri, Maryland, and New Jersey with a highly misleading ad urging defeat of Republican Senatorial candidates opposing the use of taxpayer dollars to fund new embryonic stem cell line research. He states,

"Stem cell research offers hope to millions of Americans with diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.... But George Bush and Michael Steele would put limits on the most promising stem cell research."

Mr. Fox and his ads' sponsors are guilty of conflating embryonic stem cell research, which the GOP candidates and many Americans oppose for destroying a human life in the name of curing other people's diseases, with stem cell research in general, which includes adult stem cell research and umbilical cord blood stem cell research.

The only limits in question are on federal funding of new embryonic stem cell lines, requiring the sacrifice of new embryos. Private and state—funded research (California voters are spending six billion dollars borrowing money to fund this) is ongoing. The implicit claim that research based on new embryos is 'the most promising' is absurd, completely unsupported by the scientific literature, and an insult to voters, based as it is on the assumption that they are incapable of understanding the issue. Too stupid to tell the difference, is the elitist assumption underlying this campaign.

Flim—flam is a charitable description. Why would federally—funded research be more promising than state— and privately—funded research? And on what possible basis can the claim be made that embryonic stem cell research is more promising than adult stem cell research?

The plain fact is that embryonic stem cell research is proving to be a bust. There are currently 72 therapies showing human benefits using adult stem cells and zero using embryonic stem cells.  Scientifically—minded readers can review this medical journal article on the status of adult stem cell research. Adult stem cell therapies are already being advertised and promoted while no such treatments are even remotely in prospect for embryonic stem cell research.

The fact is that adult stem cells have already produced remarkable cures, whereas embryonic stem cells have failed. This should come as no great surprise to anyone with a background in high school biology. When an embryo is created by the union of the sperm and egg, the cells begin to divide, creating embryonic stem cells from which all future tissues and organs are derived. Within days, the embryonic cells differentiate into three cell layers — ectoderm, mesoderm and endoderm. Cells in these layers continue to differentiate into tissues and organs. As the embryo matures into a fetus, child, and adult, some undifferentiated cells of the three types remain in various tissues such as bone marrow, fat, skin and olfactory tissue.

These adult stem cells are multipotent: they have the ability to turn into a variety of types of tissues. Successful stem cell therapies cause the DNA in the adult stem cells to further differentiate into more specific types of cells. There is no point in getting the adult stem cell to turn into a less differentiated type of cell, or using the more primitive embryonic stem cells. This would be going backward, in the opposite direction of providing a clinically useful therapy.
    Difficulties abound with proposed embryonic stem cell therapies. The growth of the more primitive embryonic stem cells is more difficult to control and leads to tumor formation. Recent research suggests brain tumors may result. Additionally, the use of embryonic tissue foreign to the patient can potentially lead to problems with immune rejection of tissue, a problem not encountered in using a patient's own adult stem cells.

America is the most formidable medical research center in the world, but it is far from alone in pursuing the potential of adult stem cells. The worldwide effort is impressive and growing. For non—adult stem cell research, a morally unquestionable alternative source exists: stem cells drawn from umbilical cord blood. Already a bank exists in Dubai collecting cord blood stem cells.

In short, the claims made in the Michael J. Fox political ads are false and reprehensible, an insult to the voters of Maryland, Missouri and New Jersey, and to all Americans.

Mary L. Davenport, MD is an obstetrician and gynecologist, and a Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Comments
    Canadian Health&Care Mall started as a multistore based in Toronto and Ottawa in early 90s. Health&Care chain store system has been growing from year to year and finally has resulted in the current online project, as a result of operating not just as a family pharmacy but also as a store of so-called "useful things" . We tried to obtain the benefit from our previous experience and to create a really competing online resource for absolutely any customer. Though the idea is standard you may be absolutely sure that the filling is unique and has no analogues all over the Internet. We would like to admit that our online store is operating independently from the offline store system.

http://www.qweymurlu.com

Posted by: Health&Care Mall | September 13, 2008 10:19 PM

California
    Parents of Caleb, 5 (diagnosed 12/07/2006 at 21 months)Pumping with Animas since July 23 2007 , Abby 3 (non D), Lilly 12 months, and Cormac (due Jan)

Offline mandi_smom

• Level 4
    « Reply #64 on: September 28, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Once again, the only reason that embryonic stem cells have not worked, is because it is illegal to use them and any usage IS VERY limited by the current administration. 
    Michael J Fox is working hard to ensure that we have an administration that believes in funding that will allow for use of lines of embryonic stem cells that are to otherwise be discarded.  This is not SACRIFICING new embryos.  These embryos will be destroyed.  I know of couples who have wanted to donate their unused ones and have been refused and b/c of this law, these embryos have had to be destroyed (isn't this destroying human life too??)
    I'm sorry but I don't think his ad is misleading.  I think there is hope with using these cells and there is NO good reason for not using them. 
    I am no researcher or dr. but I understand that no one has made a good enough argument to me to not use them in the hopes of preventing diseases and the current administration HAS put limits on it.  That's a fact and its not misleading anyone.

Yolanda (Mom to Amanda 21 dx 3/27/06, pumping w/MM since 10/06 and Alec 17) South Florida=

Offline jefsbetterhalf

• Friend
    • Momma said there'd be days like this...
    « Reply #65 on: September 28, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Once again, the only reason that embryonic stem cells have not worked, is because it is illegal to use them and any usage IS VERY limited by the current administration. 
    Michael J Fox is working hard to ensure that we have an administration that believes in funding that will allow for use of lines of embryonic stem cells that are to otherwise be discarded.  This is not SACRIFICING new embryos.  These embryos will be destroyed.  I know of couples who have wanted to donate their unused ones and have been refused and b/c of this law, these embryos have had to be destroyed (isn't this destroying human life too??)
    I'm sorry but I don't think his ad is misleading.  I think there is hope with using these cells and there is NO good reason for not using them. 
    I am no researcher or dr. but I understand that no one has made a good enough argument to me to not use them in the hopes of preventing diseases and the current administration HAS put limits on it.  That's a fact and its not misleading anyone.

Nicely said!
    Kerry 
    mom to Emily 19yrs old--dx 11/10/06--pumping w/MM 722 since 2/16/07!   :)
    Illinois

Offline Kristen

• Level 4
      • Caleb
    « Reply #66 on: September 28, 2008, 09:14:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • From what I understand, Bush said that existing embryos that were due to be destroyed could be used. My argument is that if adult stem cell research looks even more promising, then why use the embryos. As far as the over abundance of unwanted embryos, that's a whole other topic which I think should be better regultaed. BTW, there is an adoption agency for unwanted embryos. Why not give those lives a chance? I really don't want to debate with anyone today, too tired so I know you guys are going to jump all over this but I'll just read and not respond, just too tired right now lol.
    California
    Parents of Caleb, 5 (diagnosed 12/07/2006 at 21 months)Pumping with Animas since July 23 2007 , Abby 3 (non D), Lilly 12 months, and Cormac (due Jan)

Offline Patty K

• Friend
    « Reply #67 on: September 28, 2008, 09:28:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • Obama for me..never voted for a democrat before..stem cell research the #1 reason!!
    Patty, Mom to 4 boys: Matt 22, Stephen 20, Jake 13dx 7/22/06 tslim and Dexcom and Luke 11 dx 11/15/10 Omnipod and Dexcom  " Merry Maryland "

Offline mandi_smom

• Level 4
    « Reply #68 on: September 28, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • sorry Kristen but you can't post that and not think that others will not post their opinions.

As this is a very important issue for you, it is a VERY important issue for me too.  We just do not agree and that's ok. 

Yolanda (Mom to Amanda 21 dx 3/27/06, pumping w/MM since 10/06 and Alec 17) South Florida=

Offline Kristen

• Level 4
      • Caleb
    « Reply #69 on: September 28, 2008, 10:15:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • I never said not to post your opinions, oh my gosh. I said I will read your opinions but I'm not going to be debating and posting back just too tired for a debate tonigh. Never said that.
    California

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #70 on: September 29, 2008, 12:13:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • Obama for me..never voted for a democrat before..stem cell research the #1 reason!!
    Patty, If Stem Cell research is your switch- then I really think you should look at their policies specifically Embyonic Stem Cell Research.
    Both support it (using embryos already created) and BOTH are against (Fetal Farming and human cloning)
    The policies are almost cutnpasted.
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.stemcell.html

That is again - if thats the only reason.

Its odd they are airing it in NJ. NJ defeated a Stem Cell bill that shopuldve passed in the Blue.........oops Garden State.
    The problem here wasnt whether people were for or against- but rather footing the bill and NJ is in such bad shape no one wanted a tax increase.
    Thats the big thing- and wheres the government going to get the money to fund it?
    Chris
    -Daddy to Emily (9) dx 6/24/08 and Christopher (14) dx 7/25/04 and Ava

Offline Patty K

• Friend
    « Reply #71 on: September 29, 2008, 08:00:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • that is my switch...I want Obama to have that veto switch and not McCain...McCain has wayyy less problem with it that w did but has to get the support of those ultra right wing conservatives
    Patty, Mom to 4 boys: Matt 22, Stephen 20, Jake 13dx 7/22/06 tslim and Dexcom and Luke 11 dx 11/15/10 Omnipod and Dexcom  " Merry Maryland "

Offline MicheleQ

• Level 2
      • The Family-Centered Life
    « Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 01:06:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • Quote from: mandi_smom
    Quote from: house216

Quote from: janette2005
    McCain will have my vote.

Mines too, the only thing is that I saw a campaign ad were a mom was talking about her TYPE 1 D, that is 3 yrs old and all the times they have to check her BG, and that OBAMA will support stem cell research for a cure.....  so yeah, that got me wondering, did anyone else see that???

Yes OBAMA supports stem cell research and that is one of the reasons he is definitely getting my vote.  McCain wants to stop funding all together for it...and I definitely don't want another Bush.

I just want to clarify this for the sake of accuracy and fairness; McCain is not opposed to stem cell research, he is only opposed to embryonic stem cell research (as am I).  It's an important distinction because stem cell research is indeed promising.

OK I see you've already been talking about that.  :)  It's a hot topic here at home lately too.

Peace
    « Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:09:40 AM by MicheleQ »
    Michele Q.
    --wife to my beloved for 23 years & grateful mom to 10 precious gifts from God. - dd 8 d'xd 5/08  - ds 4 d'xd 9/08

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 02:14:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • No hes not even opposed to that as he states here
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/01/26/sot.mccain.stem.cell.cnn
    He is just against creating the embryos for medical purposes - but the ones already created for whatever reason other than that......the ones that wouldve ended up being discarded- as is Obama
    Chris
    -Daddy to Emily (9) dx 6/24/08 and Christopher (14) dx 7/25/04 and Ava

Offline mandi_smom

• Level 4
    « Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 07:20:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • But it is important to note that Sarah Palin, who could be our next President at some point, if McCain is elected, IS opposed to it.

According to an October 2006 profile in the Anchorage Daily News, Palin opposes stem cell research, physician-assisted suicide, and state health benefits for same-sex partners.
    Source: Boston Globe, "A valentine to evangelical base", p. A12 Aug 30, 2008

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.