• Online Today: 93
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Poll

Is your child the only Type 1 at his/her school?

Yes
14 (31.1%)
No
30 (66.7%)
Don't know
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Type 1 at school  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Sara

• Level 4
Re: Type 1 at school
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • There are three at Isaac's school this year because there is a full time nurse on staff...both are older than Isaac, have had it for 5 years, neither is using a pump.  He'll be returning to his neighborhood school next year and will be the only one.

Strangely, when Isaac was born, I was working at a high school in a very small community, only 200 kids in the school but 3 had T1...really makes me wonder about environmental triggers.
    Sara
    mom to Kyra (11) and Isaac (6, dx 9/19/08, pumping with MiniMed 2/10/09)
    Seattle

Offline meke1997

• Level 4
    « Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 10:46:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • It does make you wonder.  I thought I had read that it  around 1 in 300 children had type 1. 
    Mary Jo Mom to Abby 16 (dxed 9-2-2008, pumping 3-1-2009, Dexcom 11-2012)

Offline Livismom

• Level 4
    « Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 11:01:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Out of 400 students K5-8th grade....Livi is the only one with T1.  There was a boy there last year but he left.  He had a pump but had a really difficult time.

I am probably going to take Livi with me next year so she will be in the 7th grade at a new school.  As of now she will still be the only one with T1 and the numbers will go up to about 900 kids on campus.
    Toni  mom to Livi  11 yrs old dx'd on 2/4/07 and Blake 14 non-d

Offline momoftaylor

• Level 4
    « Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • There are at least 3 in Taylor's high school.  About a month ago he said a kid saw his pump and told him he had D, too.  The other is a girl we go to church with.  She was dx 2 weeks before of 4th birthday, she's 15 now.  Her dad was dx in his early 20s and her brother was dx a few years ago.  He was the 1st person I called when I got Taylor's lab results, even before my husband, oops!  I hate that any of them have it, but it sure has been a blessing having them around.  I think it has eased her mom's mind some, too knowing that Katy isn't the only one of the youth trips.  In fact, not long ago on a trip they couldn't get Katy to wake up, so they got Taylor and he checked her BS and helped treat her low.  I have to admit, I was proud of him.
    • linda.s.hodges
    Linda- mom to Taylor 19 Dx 1/29/08, Ryan 15 and Katie 14. Wife to Chris-misdiagnosed T2 08/06, diagnosed T1 3/14

Offline SuchawittyCheryl

• Level 3
    « Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • There are 2 (besides Gunnar) in his school (K-5). Both the other kids are older though, one is in 4th grade and one is in 3rd grade.
    Cheryl
    Gunnar (9-6-03, dx'd 1-29-07, minimed pumping since 4-23-07)
    Cassiddy (9-17-98, non-D)
    Cayleigh (9-17-98 to 4-8-99, my beloved twin angel)
    Southern California

Offline laura

• Level 4
    « Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 07:40:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • In elementary there was a girl w/T1 in the pre-school section. Middle school there were 5 and now high school abt 6 that we know of. The nurse says she is amazed at the # of kids she gets info on that have T1 but the parents have never contacted her abt it. And the most amazing D coincidence is that our neighbor has been T1 since he was 17, now in his 40's. We moved to this new house just 2 yrs ago and in some random conversation it came out. I abt fell over! I hate that he has it but it sure was nice to finally take our 1st alone vacation, my niece stayed w/Carter, and know experienced help was right next door if they needed it. Who else but another T1 would give you their phone # and tell you to call 24/7 and mean it  <bclap>
    mom to Carter, 19, dx July 2002 lantus & log

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 08:18:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • There are at least 3 in Taylor's high school.  About a month ago he said a kid saw his pump and told him he had D, too.  The other is a girl we go to church with.  She was dx 2 weeks before of 4th birthday, she's 15 now.  Her dad was dx in his early 20s and her brother was dx a few years ago.  He was the 1st person I called when I got Taylor's lab results, even before my husband, oops!  I hate that any of them have it, but it sure has been a blessing having them around.  I think it has eased her mom's mind some, too knowing that Katy isn't the only one of the youth trips.  In fact, not long ago on a trip they couldn't get Katy to wake up, so they got Taylor and he checked her BS and helped treat her low.  I have to admit, I was proud of him.

Good for Taylor. <bclap>  I hope the teachers fell all over themselves thanking him.  They're lucky he was there.
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline momoftaylor

• Level 4
    « Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 08:47:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • Who else but another T1 would give you their phone # and tell you to call 24/7 and mean it  <bclap>

That's true.  The day Taylor was dx the peditrician called the endo to set up an appt.  He was told to give Taylor some Lantus and made an appt. for the next day.  That night around 10:00 I checked his BS and he was over 500.  I panicked and called our friend Wayne(He is T1 w/ 2 T1 kids).  He immediately came to our house.  On the way, he called a dr. who said to given Taylor some Novolog.  Wayne brought one of their pens over and gave Taylor some insulin.  He stayed and talked to us for a little bit about have D before going home.  He told me to recheck him later to make sure he was coming down.  After he got home, he called to check on him.  He also called a few times the next day to check on him and see how the endo appt. went.  He has been there for us ever since.  The best thing is that he is a pumper with a MM, just like Taylor.  He has even bailed us out of a jam with some extra sites.
    • linda.s.hodges
    Linda- mom to Taylor 19 Dx 1/29/08, Ryan 15 and Katie 14. Wife to Chris-misdiagnosed T2 08/06, diagnosed T1 3/14

Offline mathcat

• Level 2
    « Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • When Jacob registered for kindergarten, he was going to be the only one with diabetes.  About a week before the first day another child was diagnosed.  Jacob is now in second grade.  The other child has moved on to middle school but there is now one other child in his school.  His school probably has about 600 students.
    Lori
    Jacob (age 8)(dx 8-30-04)(pump 3-29-05)

Offline Duzey

• Level 3
      • My Flybc Gallery
    « Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sean is solo at his school and personally I think that is/was a huge part of the troubles we had. That and the CEA that he got in Sept was just plain nasty :)

“To him, all good things — trout as well as eternal salvation– come by grace  and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”- Norman Macean

Offline jennifer1129

• Level 2
    « Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 03:30:01 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm not sure. Our school nurse however has an older son that is type1. I was happy to have someone with a personal perspective at the school.

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything