• Online Today: 74
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: The Diabetes Education Network (UK)  (Read 9989 times)

Offline Stuboy

• Level 2
The Diabetes Education Network (UK)
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi!

This is specific for the UK people on the forums... But would also be interested in what happens on this subject in the US (or anywhere you might be!). But if you are in the US, please make that clear in your post!

I've been invited to attend a conference with the DEN by my pump nurse on the 23rd June, to represent people with Type 1 diabetes. There is another person there also with diabetes representing people with Type 2.

Some info for you...

The Diabetes Education Network (DEN) was set up in 2003 (as the Type 1 Education Network) to support local diabetes teams in developing and delivering structured education for people with diabetes. The Network now represents over 400 individuals and 60 centres delivering type 1 programmes, and an increasing number involved in type 2 education.
    The aim of the meeting is to explore from the clinical, educational and policy perspective how we can develop more appropriate services to support self management of those who live with diabetes. The outcome will be a report with some recommendations which will be published on the DEN website, and possibly as an article in a peer-reviewed journal.

So basically it looks like they are looking for idea's and ways to improve the standard of diabetes education in the UK!

So i'd like to know if anyone here has any thoughts, ideas or would like to share their experiences of their own diabetes education that I could pass on at the meeting.

This is hopfully a great opportunity to have an involvment with the development of Diabetes education in the UK!

I'd be greatful if this thread could be stickied for a week or so so that it doesn't get lost, i beleive this subject is very important for the future of us british diabetics!

Cheers
    Stuart
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:42:26 PM by Stuboy »

Type 1 Since - 24/07/06
    Friday 13th, Oct 06 HbA1c - 7.2% (on Mixtard30)
    Friday 15th, Dec 06 HbA1c - 6.0% (on Lantus & NovoRapid) :)
    Friday 29th, Jun 07 HbA1c - 7.1% :(
    Last HbA1c - 7.8% :(
    Insulin - Lantus and NovoRapid | Meter - Accu-Chek Compact Plus
    Pasta is a gift that just keeps giving...

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    Re: The Diabetes Education Network (UK)
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sounds very interesting!  I stickied ya! :)
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • sounds like a great experience to be a part of that...

I know we have a few UK members... now to rustle them out of hiding :)

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline biomedstudent

• Level 3
      • Inverness Diabetes UK Group
    « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:53:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • Good on you Stuart!  :)That's excellent!!! Goodness knows there's a huge disparity in diabetes care and education amongst different NHS trusts!

Do you know how this feeds into the Scottish Government's Action plans for better diabetes care? There's been a big push to improve diabetes care and research in Scotland and our local Diabetes UK group has been heavily involved and I just wonder if they link together. 

Best of luck, that's excellent!
    Volunteer, fundraiser and researcher.

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything