• Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 79
Total: 79

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Poll

Will you be getting this for your child?

Yes
9 (37.5%)
No
6 (25%)
Undecided
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: H1N1 Vaccine  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Joy

• Level 4
Re: H1N1 Vaccine
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yes, he will get it.  Our endo who is the head of the pediatric division of the Barbara Davis Center sent a letter to all the Barbara Davis Center pediatric parents advising us to get it for our kids.  We always get the flu shot.  When Jon just gets a "minor" cold that is going around he gets REALLY sick - I don't even want to imagine what could happen if he got swine flu.
    Mom to Jon 26
    dx 1/22/06 at age 15

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • ok ya'll don't hate on me but I voted no, the only person in our family who gets the flu shot is Joe because the Army requires him to and hes the one in the house every year to get the flu to the point where he can't even get out of bed SOOO I'm kinda against the flu shot PLEASE don't send me hate mail...lol

for me personally it's one of those things where I take all the information and formulate a decision... just like anything else in this world...what may be the right decision for us may not be for the rest...

I just read a dod press release not too long ago that the h1n1 vaccine will be mandatory for active duty too...

ok, just found it
    http://www.defenselink.mil//news/newsarticle.aspx?id=55698

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • I just don't know.  One of the girls at work has been reading about it and said that it has twice the amount of an ingredient that can cause Guillain Barre syndrome than the regular flu vaccine.  That scares me, but most of the doctors I work with say get it.  We had a patient last week with it.  After she delivered her baby we sent her to the ICU.  She is still there and on a vent.  The doctors are afraid she won't survive.  That really scares me!  We go to the endo Oct. 16th.  I'll probably do whatever they suggest.

That's my fear too the GB syndrome.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • I just don't know.  One of the girls at work has been reading about it and said that it has twice the amount of an ingredient that can cause Guillain Barre syndrome than the regular flu vaccine.  That scares me, but most of the doctors I work with say get it.  We had a patient last week with it.  After she delivered her baby we sent her to the ICU.  She is still there and on a vent.  The doctors are afraid she won't survive.  That really scares me!  We go to the endo Oct. 16th.  I'll probably do whatever they suggest.

That's my fear too the GB syndrome.

I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure I read it that the risk of Guillain Barre Syndrome from the vaccine is like 1 person out of 1 million vaccinated.

My mother doesn't want me to get Rylee vaccinated because of the association but Rylee's pedi assured me that just because I had GBS, it does not put Rylee at any higher risk of getting it from a vaccination.  I told my mom we have decided to have her vaccinated anyway  :-\
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline Linds

• Level 4
    • Loving life! Has it really been almost 5 years?
    « Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 03:34:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • what did the cde say?
    She basically said that they are recommending it bc even though our kids are "healthy" they have a much higher risk of complications from the flu.  As far as they know at this time, all of the kids who contracted it were very healthy, no diseases, allergies, etc.  And they have had major complications.  So if our children were to contract it, they are very fearful of what those complications would be.  One of the major problems is dehydration with this strain and she said their is much higher risk for DKA with this than any other flu or illness.

Idk, she is getting it and so is her son who has T1.  She told me it is totally up to me and she understands why I am kind of against it.  But she feels that the pros outweigh the cons for our kids.

See, that is not what I've heard.  Andie (Twinklet) and one of her children had it already.  Said it was just like healing from the regular flu, but easier...not as big of a deal as the regular flu.
    Linds-dx. 12/23/2006
    Pumping with MM 722 since 12/6/07
    Dexcom 7+ CGMS Since 5/19/11
    DiaBuddies Finance Chair
    DiaBuddies Mentor
    San Diego Chapter JDRF-Outreach Chair
    UCSD Free Diabetes Clinic Volunteer

Offline Linds

• Level 4
    « Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Okay, I'm undecided still.  I NEVER get sick.  Seriously.  Even since dx, haven't been sick once in almost 3 years.  Maybe a light scratchy throat or generally not great for a day or so, but I always nip it in the bud and haven't been full blown sick yet.  So, I just don't know.  Perhaps if I were in an environment where I was exposed to more germs, such as a workplace (if I could find a job...lol), then I might consider it more heavily.

I don't agree with the military making the vaccines mandatory no matter what.  I think active duty personnel should have a choice, but alas, Seth is getting both kinds.
    Linds-dx. 12/23/2006
    DiaBuddies Finance Chair
    DiaBuddies Mentor

Offline Linds

• Level 4
    « Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • ok ya'll don't hate on me but I voted no, the only person in our family who gets the flu shot is Joe because the Army requires him to and hes the one in the house every year to get the flu to the point where he can't even get out of bed SOOO I'm kinda against the flu shot PLEASE don't send me hate mail...lol

Hate mail?  Are you serious?!  It's your choice, and nobody else's!
    Linds-dx. 12/23/2006
    DiaBuddies Finance Chair
    DiaBuddies Mentor

Offline Keri

• Soju Queen
    • Level 4
    « Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 05:18:04 PM »
  • Publish

LOL Linds I was joking I can't say I have ever gotten hate mail I was trying to be silly
    Wife to Joe, mom to Izzac 10 (dx Nov 03), Isabella (Izzy) 5, Kaydence (babydoll) 4 and Baby Joey 10 months living in Southern Arizona

All 4 pic taken March 14th

Offline JoesMom

• Friend
    • Need coffee
    « Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Pediatrician said yes.

We meet with endocrinology and urology in 2 weeks, majority wins.  I'm not in favor personally.

Julie - Mom to Michael (28), Joe (21 - dx 1/24/07 - Omnipod), Sam (19), and Sarah (17) - and Sadie/Deeya (my Soi Dogs)
    'Colorful' Colorado

Offline Linds

• Level 4
    « Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »
  • Publish

LOL Linds I was joking I can't say I have ever gotten hate mail I was trying to be silly

Oh, I was like, Geez, WTF?!
    Linds-dx. 12/23/2006
    DiaBuddies Finance Chair
    DiaBuddies Mentor

Offline Joy

• Level 4
    « Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Pediatrician said yes.

We meet with endocrinology and urology in 2 weeks, majority wins.  I'm not in favor personally.

Julie,

Did you get the letter from the BDC encouraging us to get it for our kids?
    Mom to Jon 26
    dx 1/22/06 at age 15

Offline Duzey

• Level 3
      • My Flybc Gallery
    « Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yes, with Seans mom working in the germ factory otherwise known as emerg, we will be getting it. Even my own Docs son got it and it was rough and he is a healthy teenage, no way do I want Seando getting this.

“To him, all good things — trout as well as eternal salvation– come by grace  and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”- Norman Macean

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything