• Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Updated: I think...  (Read 6555 times)

Offline andrea

• Admin
    • My Blog
Updated: I think...
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • ...that I am going to put in my notice at work...

I have not been to work since last Tuesday... first I was sick... then Annelies got a tummy bug... now Katy is down with Strep throat...

I am tired of feeling like I am doing something wrong when I call out, especially this long... it should be a no brainer, my kids are first...

because Katy is susceptible for strep and getting it several times a year, we have an appt with our family doc tomorrow and he's going to refer us to an ENT, they're talking about taking out her tonsils and adenoids... so that will be more time off of work with leave that I do not have...

there is just too much stress and the only one I can control is whether I work or not...

I've been weighing the pros and cons of it all... and the only pro I can come up with is the additional income...

it's a hard decision... I hope I make the right one... :'(
    « Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:00:46 AM by andrea »

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline amysmom

• Level 4
    Re: I think...
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • Good luck, I hope that it works out for you.  And for now you are right it sounds like yo need to just be home you have a lot going on.

WYOMING  
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain...
    Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly & Leave the rest to God    
    I Love YOU!. . .

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Can you ask for a medical leave? You wont received $$ but at least they can keep your position for a minimum of 3 months? Ck your state law about this.

I know it's really hard. I have been missing work a lot between dr. appointments, Adrian school, etc, but I can't just leave. I do prefer they kick me out. Otherwise I wont collect unemployment.

Hope you can catch a break.  <hug>

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »
  • Publish
  • It's a tough decision Andrea.  Can you ask for FMLA leave?  That way you could have the time off and see how it goes without the extra income.

FWIW, we had the same issue with Campbell when he was younger with multiple throat & ear infections every year.  We finally got his tonsils & adenoids out & grommets put in his ears, and it really made a big difference.

Hang in there  <hug>
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • It is a tough decision Andrea.  The FMLA suggestion sounds good - at least you could "test drive" it for a while.  If you can make it without the income, you won't regret the decision.

I quit to stay home when Matthew was almost 1 year old.  It was the best decision we made - even Paul will agree with that! 
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:03:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • You have already made up your mind. I think you already know it is the right decision. Salaries can be compensated other ways. Good for you on your new venture.
    Leslie
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:18:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • thanks all... I thought about FMLA but it's tricky to use in the world of "what ifs"... so far all my leave with a few small exceptions have been family leave...they're projecting a harsh winter (I can't imagine it being worse than last winter)...school delays mean more leave... add in the flu/h1n1 projections, I'm just feeling overwhelmed... add in that I started back to school on top of things...

I think I am going to increase my school load next semester, I'm taking it online so that will be "flexible" for any of these what ifs...

So tomorrow I think I'll tell them that next Friday (the 25th) is my last day... hate to stop at 10 years federal service.. but on the good side, I am reinstatable and I do have the additional spouse preference to easily return at our next station... and how to do this with my boss on medical leave not due to return back until mid-october... 

It's time, I think...

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • It will all work out. It will be fine. I wish you the best.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline courtneysmom

• Level 3
    « Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:35:36 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sounds like you have your mind made up and I feel the same way as I am sure we all do-the kids come first. You will be fine. :)
    Lisa-Mom to Courtney (dx 2/5/07) using MM722 since 2/5/08.

Offline Jana

• Level 4
    « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • Oh Andrea. I hope everything works out for you. I know it's a tough decision!
    Gabriel (9) Dxd 06/24/05
    Emma (7)

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • It will all work out. It will be fine. I wish you the best.

What Leslie said  ;D
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sounds like that is probably the right decision for you.  Good luck!
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 10:07:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Good luck Andrea!!!  To me, people can tell you what is best for you to do but no one lives in your home and you and your husband knows what is best for your family!  If I could stay home I would but that is not possible for us.

The girls are gonna love you being home!!!
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 10:07:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • thanks for the reassurance... I really needed to hear it... even if it's do what I think is best...

getting ready to type my resignation letter so I can turn it in tomorrow when I return

My blog

Offline meke1997

• Level 4
    « Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug>.  I don't think you will regret your decision. 

My middle child had his tonsils out due to strep.  He hasn't had a case since.  Our doctor wants Abby's out, but I  am so chicken to have it done.  One of our CDE told me about a kid that went into DKA after it.  I am going to see how the winter goes.   
    Mary Jo Mom to Abby 16 (dxed 9-2-2008, pumping 3-1-2009, Dexcom 11-2012)

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.