• Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Email from VP  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Swoopie

• Level 4
Email from VP
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:24:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • So with all of the craziness yesterday.. I just want some opinions on this...

Our school uses a computerized program for subs.  Teachers don't call anyone to say they are going to be out, they log onto this program and say they will be out and then that program notifies subs.  No one double checks it so often times I get pulled from my job to sub for a teacher if there is no sub.  No big deal, comes with the territory... I am flexible.  It makes planning for the next week that much easier...lol  one less day. 

I got up yesterday around 6:30 and quickly got dressed.  By the time I had packed a lunch and everything, it was 7-7:15.  That is too late for my to log into the computer program to make an absense.  Besides, I didn't have any sub plans ready (just in case.. they often don't get subs for me because I am not a classroom teacher.. not a necessity). 

So I went in regular time and decided that I couldnt stay..(good thing!).  So I went to the office and told the secretary that I needed to go.  I had some backup sub plans there so I pulled those out and left. 

We have had some crazy flu things going on...  we had about 100 students out yesterday and more went home.  Some classes of 25 only had 9 by the end of the day due to absences and kids who went home. 

Our assistant principal sent out the following email about 9:30am yesterday...

"Good morning everyone. I just wanted to remind you all that if you are not feeling well, please schedule a sub on AESOP as early as possible. It is very difficult to find subs if you come in the school and need to leave right away. Also, we would like you to stay home and get better!! Thanks!! Conni"

I was the only teacher who left yesterday at the beginning of school... and it wasnt for flu reasons...  it was a bad pump site and had I stayed, even a half day (till 11:30am), I would have been much worse off. 

Do I say something to her?  Either email or in face to face?  She is pretty approachable but her office isnt very private..  I just feel the need to explain that it wasnt flu for me, and I couldnt have put in for a sub the night before and what should I do if htis happens again.  But I want to remain professional. 

Thoughts? 
    Robin, 34, PA
    Dx Type 1 6-6-05
    Pumpin' 2-6-06 Minimed Revel 723
    CGM 5-9-10
    Claire Elizabeth born 3-25-12
    Ian James born 12-19-14

Offline alissasmom

• Level 4
    Re: Email from VP
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think I  would talk to her and just tell her you wanted to make sure she knew that you didnt leave from the flu or anything that you  could have know was going to happen, you didnt just go in sick and decide to go home later.just tell her you wanted to make sure she was clear on why you left. JMHO
    Jamie, mom to Alissa 8(dx12-1-06@14months old)pumping with a pink animas 2020  (5-13-08 ) now a green ping , and Caden 7 yrs

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • How unthoughtful of you not to schedule a medical emergency around the schools convenience.  Give me a break, did they think you left to go out to lunch?  I'd say the email was petty and unprofessional.  I'd be temped to send an email back explaining that whenever possible, you do schedule your subs that way, but sickness is just not within your powers to control.  However, she isn't my boss. ;D
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • since it's not a very private office, I think I would send an email and just state something along the lines of due to an unforeseen d comlication that had to be handled immediately and unfortunately you did not have the capability of being given any warning before hand.  I would probably ask for "guidance" as to how she would like you to handle this in the future.

hope you're feeling better today

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline taximom2

• Staff
    « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • It looks to me like a very general reminder to everyone, and she wasn't picking on you.  If you want to remain professional about it, I would encourage you to approach her in person and just give a gentle reminder about your health so it won't affect you if there's a problem. 

Offline Swoopie

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • I had typed out this email and had a coworker review it but didnt get around to sending it before I happened to pass her in the hallway and I briefly told her what happened after she asked how i was feeling...  When I asked what I should do next time, she said just to stay home and call at 7:30 to the office or to call her at home. 

So all is well.  :)

Whether it was directed at me, who knows?  But it was very odd that it was sent on the day that I happened to do that. 
    Robin, 34, PA
    Dx Type 1 6-6-05
    Pumpin' 2-6-06 Minimed Revel 723
    CGM 5-9-10
    Claire Elizabeth born 3-25-12
    Ian James born 12-19-14

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:57:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • sounds like a good result :)

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline rudi

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 02:09:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think her initial letter was likely due to you and your lack of professionalism...er, d complication ;)  But it also sounds like she's an understanding and reasonable woman so YAY for you!  Glad you got to talk to her about it.
    Mum to Jasper, 14 and D-free, Zephyr, 12 and diagnosed Jan 29 2009, and Willow, 10 and diagnosed Jan 12, 2008. Wife and pest to Kevin since 2000.

Offline Linds

• Level 4
    • Loving life! Has it really been almost 5 years?
    « Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 05:32:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm glad it was handled well, and that she is at the very least approachable, my last boss was not and that was awful.  And if she did send it because of your leaving that day, then now she clearly learned a lesson too, that she should perhaps find out the circumstances of a situation before making assumptions...which she should do in her role anyway.
    Linds-dx. 12/23/2006
    Pumping with MM 722 since 12/6/07
    Dexcom 7+ CGMS Since 5/19/11
    DiaBuddies Finance Chair
    DiaBuddies Mentor
    San Diego Chapter JDRF-Outreach Chair
    UCSD Free Diabetes Clinic Volunteer

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.