• Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Poll

Did you notify your child's bus driver that your child has T1?

Yes, right away!
8 (80%)
No, why would I?
0 (0%)
No, but I should/plan to.
0 (0%)
My child doesn't ride the bus.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Bus Driver Informed?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
Bus Driver Informed?
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just occurred to me that our bus driver hasn't been told, unless the school told him (which I would find astounding.)
    Love to hear your thoughts on this.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline shannon

• Level 4
    Re: Bus Driver Informed?
    « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yes, our bus drivers know and they are all trained. At first the district balked at this but michigan diabetic law is clear on diabetes care in the school and transportation is part of the school.  The drivers are now all trained.  Sam's 504 is worded like this in regards to transportation:

It is agreed that Trenton Public Schools will have a regular bus driver transporting Sam to and from school and s/he will be trained to deal with a diabetic emergency. In the event that the regular driver is absent, two replacement drivers will be trained and all other drivers will be informed of problematic symptoms to watch for (for example, irritable or unresponsive).  In the event of a medical emergency, the bus driver will bring the bus to a complete stop, call the director of transportation, who will call 911 to respond to the location of the stopped bus.
    Shannon, mom to Ben 16, Sam 14 and Jamie 4 years old. Sam dx with diabetes @12mo old, pumping with t slim

Offline momoftaylor

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our bus driver sent home a paper to fill out with emergency info.  I put on it that Taylor is Type 1 and wears a pump.  I have no idea if she actually looked at it or not.  Taylor's brother and sister are on the bus and several friends who know about his D, so I haven't really thought much about it.  He is only on the bus for about 5 min.  He gets off at the first stop which is probably not but about a mile from the school.  Of course, now that soccer is getting started he won't be on the bus very much.
    • linda.s.hodges
    Linda- mom to Taylor 19 Dx 1/29/08, Ryan 15 and Katie 14. Wife to Chris-misdiagnosed T2 08/06, diagnosed T1 3/14

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yep, our bus driver knows.  I called the bus company when they started school mid-year last year, and they said they had to be notified by the school.  So I made sure the nurse sent them a copy of the one page "cheat sheet" I made up for all the teachers.  It has his photo and the basics and contact details for me, my husband and his endo.
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • I make a packet of info about Giovanni and Type 1 for everyone that will ever meet him (about 20 in all) and the driver gets one before Giovanni gets on the bus in Sept. There is no training in NJ right now for drivers, so Giovanni and the driver are both instructed that if he feels low he is to eat what is in his bag for lows. They are also told to call me asap. It's about a 5 minute ride.
    Next year when NJ allows us to train other personnel other than the nurse on glucagon,  I will push that the driver be trained as well.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline Nikki

• Friend
    « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yupper. Our bus driver is actually diabetic.
    ~Nikki
    Mom to Morgan (16, dx 7-13-04, pumpin' w/minimed since 1/30/06) Jessica (22) Tyler (21) and Rodney (13) Step Mom to Mickele (28)
    Grandma to Hannah (8) Layla (5) Addison (4) Joey (2) and Zoie (2 months)
    Rotterdam New York

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yupper. Our bus driver is actually diabetic.

Annelies' driver's sister is T1

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Tiffany***

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:26:16 AM »
  • Publish
  • All 3 drivers for the school know.  All 3 buses have a bag marked Vivian's supplies. 

The school nurse trained them all in emergency situations with Vivian.  They were all basically told that she is allowed to eat on the bus if she feels the need.  If for some reason she becomes agitated and her behavior is erratic that they are to treat her as low and call 911 if needed. 

They haven't had to, but I think they all could/would if needed. 

Tiffany mom to 4.  T. 9-00 non-d  V. 12-02 dx 12-08  H. 3-07  E. 9-10

Offline jennifer1129

• Level 2
    « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 03:28:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yes. It was one of the first things I did after notifying the school

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything