• Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Update - My job sucks and they are so not understanding!!!  (Read 4310 times)

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
Had my annual evaluation today. 

I quote from the evaluation "Melanie's frequent absences (all permissible) have contributed to additional administrative work on my behalf.  Therefore, I hope that she will find ways to minimize the impact of permitted absences...  We would like for you to consider working flextime/hours so you will miss less work time for doctor's appointments and illness." 

My response to her so far:

This past annual performance year has been an extremely difficult year for me personally between my daughter's ongoing chronic disease, my mother had a major surgery, my husband had lip cancer and I had to have knee surgery.  This has taking away from some of my initiative to go above and beyond my job duties in this past year but I have always met all of my job duties.  These events have also required me to be out of the office; however, I have never exceeded the allowed days provided to me as my employee benefit from SMU.  On most occasions while I've been out with my daughter, I have offered to remote in from home and work but each time I was told no.  I offered to remote in on the recommendation of Rhonda Adams from HR per my meeting with her regarding FMLA.  It was recommended that if I were able to even work a few hours from home, that I would still be able to perform some of my job duties.  I can never control my absences when it comes to my daughter's health.  Type 1 diabetes is a very unpredictable and extremely dangerous disease and when she is ill or having problems with her insulin pump, etc., it requires immediate action by myself or my husband.  This is why I have FMLA papers on file with HR.

As far as your request for me to work flextime/hours, I believe that to be in direct violation of my employee rights and my FMLA.  I will be setting up a meeting with HR to advise me of my rights as I have never exceeded my allotted time off.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:56:25 PM by RyleesMom »
Melanie
Dallas, Texas
Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline andrea

• Admin
    • My Blog
Re: My job sucks and they are so not understanding!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • consult HR immediately... do not send anything until you speak with them

I do not believe that it is legal for them to reference your FMLA covered abscenses in your eval

Spoiler for Hiden:
    fucking bastards

:cowa: :cowa: :cowa: :cowa:

<hug> <hug> <hug> <hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:21:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jerk!  I agree with Andrea - talk to HR as soon as you can.  They can's reprimand you for taking PERMISSIBLE time off, especially if they wouldn't let you work from home. :cowa:
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • I agree with Andrea and Patty.  Talk to HR.  You are entitled to your time off, you get your work done, they shouldn't word it as a reprimand (at least that's what it sounds like to me)
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • Agree with everyone else. They can penalize you for days you are ALLOWED off. Bullshit! Too bad she had to pick up the slack, I can believe it's her job!!!
    Contact HR!
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline Susan H

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • What is flextime/hours? 
    Susan, Mom to Nathan, dx 7/12/07 and Sarah, non-D, from Oklahoma

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • I would talk to your HR department but also see if you can get some free consultation time with a lawyer - even 15 minutes to ask some quick questions.
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline Double L

• Level 4
    • In the "hood" just outside the "Lou"
    « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • If you are represented by a Union, contact your representative immediately. If not, contact the NLRB. FMLA is intended to protect you from employer bullying.

Spoiler for Hiden:
    A little something for the assholes you work for:    :cowa: :cowa: :cowa:
    Larry, baby daddy to 20 year old Jeremy . Dx 8-03-06, pumping with MM "pimp" since 5-07. Illinois

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Let us know what HR says Mel.
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline JoesMom

• Friend
    • Need coffee
    « Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • I definitely would not submit your response until you are clear on what the rules are on mentioning your absences (and yes it seemed like a reprimand to me too and I would have bristled over it) in your evaluation when under FMLA protection and gone on FMLA excused absenses.  If they have overstepped then let HR submit the response on your behalf and insist they redo your evaluation.  Those go in personnel files.

Julie - Mom to Michael (28), Joe (21 - dx 1/24/07 - Omnipod), Sam (19), and Sarah (17) - and Sadie/Deeya (my Soi Dogs)
    'Colorful' Colorado

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • As a former HR person...please be carefull when speaking to HR as well.  Yes they are there to assist you and insure that your supervisors do not step out of their legal obligations - BUT they are paid by the company.  If I were you in your response I would limit the amount of personal information and stick to the fact that you have not exceeded allowed time off.  ( IT doesnt matter to a company WHY you took off just that you had an allowed absence)  Unfortunatly when they management sees longterm health issues flags go up and biasis occur- is it fair NO, is it right NO -- does it happen YES. In this economy companys are typically looking for any way to cut payroll so stress your positives and that you have not in fact exceeded the limits.  Remember that ANY comments are documented and take notes yourself about meetings with everyone you speak to.   Mentioning that you did offer to work from home per the suggestion of HR is good as this puts it back on them that they did not accept that offer.   Just my two cents....Good Luck and sorry to hear that your boss is making things difficult. 

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • As a former HR person...please be carefull when speaking to HR as well.  Yes they are there to assist you and insure that your supervisors do not step out of their legal obligations - BUT they are paid by the company.  If I were you in your response I would limit the amount of personal information and stick to the fact that you have not exceeded allowed time off.  ( IT doesnt matter to a company WHY you took off just that you had an allowed absence)  Unfortunatly when they management sees longterm health issues flags go up and biasis occur- is it fair NO, is it right NO -- does it happen YES. In this economy companys are typically looking for any way to cut payroll so stress your positives and that you have not in fact exceeded the limits.  Remember that ANY comments are documented and take notes yourself about meetings with everyone you speak to.   Mentioning that you did offer to work from home per the suggestion of HR is good as this puts it back on them that they did not accept that offer.   Just my two cents....Good Luck and sorry to hear that your boss is making things difficult.

That's a great point. I was going to say the same thing. Two sentences should suffice: I did not take any time off other than what I am allowed. 2. I did offer to work from home to help alleviate any workload from the office.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have no advice, but I do have  <hug> <hug>.
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks everyone!!  I should be able to meet with HR next week!  Funny thing is I work in the Office of Legal Affairs at SMU so you would think they know better.  I am meeting with one person over in HR who was told by one of the VP's here at SMU (also a friend) to help me on this and to get it fixed so I feel they will be totally honest with me.

I for sure took it as a reprimand as well.  The rest of my review was good and I did get the university wide raise plus a little more but still it just pisses me off and that is why I have the FMLA.

SusanH - this is our flextime policy:

Flextime, Flexplace/Telecommuting, and Jobsharing
    •Flextime is working the same amount of time within a non-traditional work schedule.
    •Flexplace is working the same schedule within a non-traditional work place at least part of the time.
    •Jobsharing is when two employees share one full time position. Each employee is considered regular part time and works 20 or more hours per week.
    Alternative Work Schedule Agreement Instructions
    An employee and manager must fill out a Voluntary Alternative Work Schedule Agreement form. A copy of the win-win documentation must be attached to the Alternative Work Schedule Agreement form. An employee and manager should each retain a copy of their agreement form and win-win documentation. Completed form must be submitted to the Department of Human Resources at Box 0232.

With final signature from the Department of Human Resources, the Voluntary Alternative Work Schedule Agreement will be filed in the employee’s personnel file. With the final signature, Human Resources will contact the manager. Upon contact, the manager should begin a search for the additional employee who will share the existing full time position with the existing employee; the search process should be conducted through standard procedures of Human Resources. Implementation of Job Sharing is dependent on filling the additional position with a qualified candidate.

Contact Human Resources for Quality of Life consultation and/or facilitation support at employeerelations@smu.edu or 8-3311.

Note: Any voluntary alternative work schedule is valid as long as it is approved by the employee’s manager/supervisor and a representative from Human Resources. A Flextime agreement may be terminated at any time by the manager or employee (appropriate paperwork must accompany agreement termination).

Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline RaymiesMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sorry you're dealing with this crap.  <hug>
    April, NJ: Mom to Raymie age 20, Dx. 11/11/03 and Tracy, age 23.
    [imghttp://[/img]

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.