• Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: How many of you work?  (Read 8784 times)

Offline Kellie

• Admin
How many of you work?
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just curious.  How do you do it?  Does your company get annoyed if the school nurse calls?  Is someone home for your kids when they get home?

I'm wondering bc next yr Em will be full day in school and didn't know if I would be able to swing it.  I know I wouldn't be able to be a manicurist bc I cannot just get up and leave nor can I grab the phone.  But Idk, maybe something...

I am babysitting, but lost one little girl to school.  It's no where near enough money and to be honest, I am getting tired of it.  I shouldn't but I am kinda gettin fed up with the whole terrible 2 crap.  I don't feel like hearing the whining or potty training....

Sighhhhhhhh
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: How many of you work?
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • used to... but was being pulled to many directions and the stress was too much for me... something had to give and it was my career... didn't help I had a big giant B for a boss

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Nyssas_mom

• Level 3
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • For the first 4 years or so after diagnosis, I worked part-time. The hours were varied and spread out over many days, including Saturday. I made really good money for the first 3 years. Then, my company made some changes and I lost some of my hours...the good money making ones. I continued to work for the company, but the money sucked. I was stressed and unhappy. I decided to leave for good in December of last year. I was happy, but the finances were not. I looked for a job over the internet (that's about the only way that one can apply these days.) You can't explain why you want the hours that you want on the computerized forms, so no one called. My husband happened to overhear someone at the college, where he works part-time, say that they needed help in the theatre box office. I love theatre...that's where my husband and I met. The manager remembered me from when I attended college and worked backstage 15 years ago. I applied and he hired me. The hours are perfect! Nyssa gets on the bus at 8:50 and I go in at 10:00 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I work until 2:00 and school gets out at 3:40. I work evenings when we have events and my husband or my mother watches Nyssa. The pay rate is unheard of for a part-time job. I really lucked out.
    Parth, mom to 2 daughters, Valkyrie (non-d) age 17 and Nyssa (age 11) dx 11/22/05...pumping w/ Animas 2020 since January 14, 2008. Upgraded to Animas Ping, October 25, 2010.  Started Dexcom G4 on September 6, 2014. Married to {He has a name}  Kenneth since 1995. Vineland, New Jersey

Offline momoftaylor

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • I work, but it D doesn't interfere.  I work 7pm-7am 3 nights a week.  Although, even when I worked days, the only time I missed for D a day and a half when Taylor was diagnosed.  It just worked out that I had several days in a row off after that and since he wasn't hospitalized it worked out well.  Chris works within walking distance of the school and can easily leave or take off if needed.  We are very blessed.  Of course, I think Taylor being older helps, too.  He isn't so dependent.  I hope you figure something out.  I can't imagine the added stress.
    • linda.s.hodges
    Linda- mom to Taylor 19 Dx 1/29/08, Ryan 15 and Katie 14. Wife to Chris-misdiagnosed T2 08/06, diagnosed T1 3/14

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • I shouldn't but I am kinda gettin fed up with the whole terrible 2 crap.  I don't feel like hearing the whining or potty training....

I've been home full-time since Elizabeth was born, but honestly, I don't know how I could have continued working after Luke's dx anyway.  Now with another 2 year old with D - yeah, I'll be home full-time at least until Isaiah's in 1st grade, and maybe beyond.  Even if we could have found someone willing to take a toddler with D (impossible, at least in this area), my entire salary would have gone to childcare.  And there aren't any decent part-time jobs here, at least right now.

As for being tired & not wanting to do potty-training and the terrible 2s, I don't blame you AT ALL.  I don't even want to deal with it with my own kid, never mind someone else's child.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline Julie

• Level 3
    « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • I work full time early morning. I'm done by 1:30pm.  I have to work being a divorced mom with 3 teenage kids. My boss is very good about letting me take phone calls and even leaving if i need to. I test ashley and michael before i leave for work and give them insulin if needed. When they get up for school, they test again, eat and get themselves ready for the day. They have had to learn to do many of the responsibilities that come with diabetes. If there is any problem at all or questions, they call me at my job anytime or i can leave with no problem.
    Julie
    Mom to Mike dx'd 10/98
               Ashley dx'd 09/06

Offline LMK113

• T1P Facebook admin
    • Friend
    « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:26:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have always had part-time jobs since by kids were born.  I currently have 2 part time jobs.  I work at my local high school  and I work in the local supermarket.  My school job is during the day and they have never minded me having to leave for my kids.  I have 2 of my sons in the high school with me now.  The supermarket has been very good to me with hours.  Michael was DX while I worked there and they gave me my time off and allowed me to work only weekend days to keep my job.  I am now back to 2 nights a week and Sunday's.  So though I will have to work more hours.  My husband has dropped a bombshell on me and total me he wants a separation.  The funny thing is he told me a while ago I did not need this second part time job to quit.  But the truth is I really liked it so I kept it.  Now it might be our meal ticket.  Funny how things work out????
    • Lynne Monteith

Lynne & Michael
    Washington Twp., South Jersey
    Mom to 3 boys: Dennis 21 yrs. old, Shawn 18 yrs. old,
    Michael 15 yrs old Type 1 DX on March 6, 2009.

Offline Susan H

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:53:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • I work full-time.  I have to, because my husband's job does not offer health insurance and, as you all well know, we kinda need that.

I have a decent benefits package and a wonderful boss.  If the school nurse calls, I drop whatever I am doing and talk to her.  If I need to go to the school to get Nate, or take off for his appointments, etc. they are great about it.  I work five minutes away from home, seven minutes from both kids' schools.  I just got lucky on finding a place that is laid back about missing work, and they know that my kids come first.  When Nate had appendicitis, I just dropped everything in the middle of the day and ran.  My boss called, to check on Nate, and never said a word about me missing time.  He and several other co-workers offered to give me sick days from their own pool if I ran low while he was recovering.  They're just good about all that stuff. 

The flip side is, I don't make a lot of money.  By the time I pay insurance premiums for the kids, half of my pay is gone and the rest of it goes for D supplies every month.  I think I could probably get a bigger paycheck somewhere else, but that would involve more stress, more difficulty taking off, and a longer commute.  I'm staying where I am for now, because it is best for Nathan.

Susan, Mom to Nathan, dx 7/12/07 and Sarah, non-D, from Oklahoma

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have an interview tomorrow as a matter of fact LOL to sub in local schools. I have to guarantee them 4 days a month which should be fine. If it works out I would like to do this at least until Ava is in 3rd grade and then I have to go back full time as per hubby.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline RaymiesMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 01:18:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • I work full time, 3-11:30p. I'm home until 2:30p, then Ray comes home between 5-6p.
    April, NJ: Mom to Raymie age 20, Dx. 11/11/03 and Tracy, age 23.
    [imghttp://[/img]

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • I've been SAHM since my oldest was born, but I wouldn't exactly say I don't work. ;)  I honestly don't know how all the moms who have a paying job do it all.  Sure some of the things I do during the day are just for me, (like I'm going to a mom's D support group this morning) but not that much.  Between three kids school and sports schedules I'm constantly busy.  Shoot with 2 very active teen boys and a pre-teen, I'm at the grocery store all the time cuz I can't keep food in the house!  I do know that my kids are very spoiled with all that I do for them.  I know some parents have the kids doing laundry, making meals, and other things that I'm usually doing for my kids.   It does get easier as they get older.  Jordan has his own car, so I'm no longer shuttling him here and there, but its a long time getting there.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys.  I am just curious tho, how many of you started working after the dx?  I have applied for a number of jobs (they're really isn't anything around here atm.) And like Parth said, the only way to apply for anything in NJ iws online.  So I can't explain why I need to work the hours I do.  Right now, I am very limited bc Chris is working weird hours.  As of right now, that is only until Dec.  But until then, I will still keep on applying just to see if I get any bites.

I don't know that the hours are the only deterent.  I also wonder if employers see that I have worked in a salon for 17 yrs and wonder if I am a moron!  I chose that career bc I liked it, not bc it was all I could do.  Salon people have this rep for being airheaded which kinda shocks me bc I know how hard it is to get liscensed. 

Angela, you crack me up!  I guess terrible 2's aren't fun no matter what!!

Good luck Leslie!  That would be awesome!  :)
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline Susan H

• Level 4
    « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »
  • Publish
  • I was working part-time when Nate was diagnosed, but I went full-time after about a year because of the insurance situation.  We are still paying debt from medical bills from that first year, when our insurance coverage was so bad. 
    Susan, Mom to Nathan, dx 7/12/07 and Sarah, non-D, from Oklahoma

Offline courtneysmom

• Level 3
    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • I worked full time before dx and still do. Courtney is older than your kids but we do get home the same time as the kids do.
    I do have fmla for her so if I miss any work pertaining to Courtney and her diabetes, they cannot say anything about it. My
    bosses are pretty understanding about it anyways.

Really, I wouldnt worry about the salon thing...in my eyes, its a plus...you worked the same job for 17 years. Solid work
    history is big with employers.

Good luck with getting the job and the hours you want. I hope it comes quick for ya.
    Lisa-Mom to Courtney (dx 2/5/07) using MM722 since 2/5/08.

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Prior to dx, I worked as a full-time litigation paralegal but left that job because it was too demanding with D.  I now work full time and while I love the university I work for, I work for a B of a woman!!  I have FMLA to protect me at work due to anything D related.  Though I have caught hell lately for taking the time off, that should be different now that they met with my supervisor.  I provide insurance for our family because Dennis' insurance is horrible.  We really would like for me to be able to stay home once the baby is born but we could never afford life with Dennis' health insurance.  I hate that I only work for insurance!  Of course I make money too and have a 403b plan so that helps but with the cost of daycare once the baby is born, I will be working for next to nothing after I pay daycare.

Good luck Kellie on whatever you decide!

Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.