• Online Today: 60
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: How many of you work?  (Read 9508 times)

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
Re: How many of you work?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • Kellie, I had a thought last night that might be worth looking into.  When a new Walgreens opened down the road, they had both part-time and full-time openings.  I noticed that some of the hours were roughly school hours.  I'm not sure if you might find something similar in your area, but a pharmacy discount could never hurt, right?  ::)
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 10:27:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • I worked part time prior to diagnosis -- and did leave partly because I was not comfortable being so far from school and home anymore.  With all the sports cole is in it was a worry to not be close enough to know that things were going ok.  Cole is older and handles most things ...but occasionally get the call that he forgot his kit or that he was not feeling well etc.  Honestly what I was making just wasn't worth it.  Now I care for a friends autistic daughter for a couple hours in the afternoon - very flexible schedule and I can be home and I can take her with for after school events or quick trips to the school if need be.  I do feel blessed that this has worked out for us.   

Offline Kellie

• Admin
    « Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • Kellie, I had a thought last night that might be worth looking into.  When a new Walgreens opened down the road, they had both part-time and full-time openings.  I noticed that some of the hours were roughly school hours.  I'm not sure if you might find something similar in your area, but a pharmacy discount could never hurt, right?  ::)
    See now, something like that would be perfect.  I do have to wait until next year, but I have been looking. 

This brings up another question I have, what do you all do with the kids in the summer?
    Kellie ~ Mom to Christopher 10~ dx July 2004 and Emily 6~ dx June 2008 (Southern NJ)

Offline zookpr

• Level 4
      • I'm The Pancreas
    « Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • I was working and I need to work but, all the calls from the school nurse, the need to pick kids up, change sites, sick days, dr visits and so on, keep me from keeping a job and now, even finding a job.

Mom to Chris (17), Lydia (15),
    Prisca (14), and Trevor (10)
    Lexington, SC

Offline house216

• Level 4
    • I HATE DIABETES!!
    « Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • I work full time in DT.  My husband  has been unemployed and working part time for the same company here and there when work comes up.  He is the one who attends the kids m-f, takes them picks them up, makes dinner the whole nine yards, I call him Mr. Mom, we are rough financially and he hates being home, but in all honesty I don't know if we could do it if  we both were working full time.  The days he has to work or is out of town I have to leave early to get the boys.

Now the nurse, she calls me for everything, my job doesn't say anything to me they  know Lucas has D, I don't know if they like it or hate it, I know there have been comments about me and the  phone, but I don't really care.  I have NOT gotten in trouble and the work gets done. I also work in a very flexible enviroment, where FAMILY FIRST motto is practiced. I have no complaints.

Lucas, 8 yrs. old, DX, 5/10/07, Nicholas, 6 yrs. old, non-d
    South Florida

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • [This brings up another question I have, what do you all do with the kids in the summer?

Between diabetes camp, VBS and spending time with family, Rylee didn't have that much spare time and what she did, she stayed with a high school girl down the street but Rylee is much older than Em so that's hard to say because during the summer you would need to make it worth your while to pay for daycare if needed.

How about substitute teaching?  Is that an option?
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • I do work and I have the flexibility of leaving if I need, taking the nurse calls (this new one text me), etc. This was the only request I did when I came back to work when Adrian was dx.
    Of course, nothing is perfect, and bc of that, they not always like what I do. But, it's $$ and I need it. I don't care about their faces.

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline Jana

• Level 4
    « Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • I worked taking care of special needs kids for four years, but had to give it up when Eric went back to school. Sometimes I miss my paycheck, but I do love having the flexibility to be able to drop everything and take care of the kids. The ability to take afternoon naps is nice too  ;D. I had intended to go back to work when Eric graduated. However...I think the whole family is enjoying Stay at Home Mom, so maybe I'll just stay on as a "kept woman"  <roflmao>.
    Gabriel (9) Dxd 06/24/05
    Emma (7)

Offline Ems Mom

• Level 3
    « Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • I worked full time when Em was first dx (hard to believe that was 4 yrs ago) my boss was great and let me come and go as needed and I could work from home.  For the first 4 months after dx my husband or I stayed home so we could go to the school and help with shots.  Then I lost my job and had a year off and just loved being home but unemployment was not paying the bills and I needed to get health insurance so I finally found something.  I will be honest I dread going to work everyday.  I want to be home and close to Em if she needs anything.  However like you Kellie money is just so tight even with me working that I will be working the rest of my life.
    Karyn from Saginaw mom to Emily age 16 dx 2/22/06 was pumping with MM since 12/8/06, now pumping with the Omni POD, Brandon non d age 15 and Kara non d age 19

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • www.source4teachers.com is hiring and they are the subs in a school district near you. I saw the list today. Do you have 60 credits?
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline usbornetheresa

• T1P Twitter admin
    • Staff
      • Usborne Books & More
    « Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • I am self employed and work from home.  Dean is also self employed so neither of us has a boss to get into trouble with for attendance, but we do have commitments to our clients.  We both take calls from school.  We are usually able to juggle if there is a sick day or something.  My appointments are usually more firm than Dean's so he will adjust his schedule accordingly if he needs to.  He took Tori to the Dr. for a sinus infection last week because I had a book fair with firm times.
    Theresa
    Mom to Tori (14yo) dx 3/2006
    Pumping with Animas Ping 8/2010
    Dex G4 10/2013
    Michigan
    [/URL]

Offline sarahconnormom

• Level 4
    « Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have worked full-time since before I got married.  I am a teacher so my hours are the same as the kids school day.

Connor is at the elementary where I work so he just comes to me during the day if he needs anything.  This is not an issue since I have a full-time instructional aide in my room that can take over for a few minutes if I need to take care of something.  I see him maybe once every week or two during the school day for a diabetes related issue.  I love the fact that I work the same hours the kids are at school and have all the same holidays including being off with them in the summer.

I am limited on my days I can take off but it has never been a big issue.  Dale works for the state and has built up tons of sick time.  Plus he works 12 hour shifts on a 4 days on/4 days off schedule so he is off exactly 50% of the time.  If one of the kids gets sick there is a 50% chance he will be off and if he isn't he has plenty of days he can burn.  He does hate doing doctor's appts though so our agreement is that I take off to do doctors and he stays home with sick kids. 

My house is definitely not as clean as I would like it to be since we are always busy with after school activities but there is no way we can pay our bills with only one paycheck.  We are barely getting by with 2 paychecks.
    Neither of us makes a ton of money but we have job security, decent insurance and we both have good retirement plans.
    Melinda (from Texas)- Mom to:

Sarah (7-24-96)- US Army soldier currently stationed at Fort Sam Houston

Connor (6-4-01)- Diagnosed Type 1 Dec. 2007  MM 4/2008-6/2015, T-Slim 6/2015

[ IMG ][/img ]

Offline Bernadette

• Staff
    « Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't know if this helps but Lauren worked at Target over the summer - she told them the hours she could work (evenings and weekends only) and they gave her exactly what she asked for. She loved working there too. They have all kinds of benefits too. When she was leaving to go back to school they told her to put in a leave of absence and they will schedule her to work whenever she is home.

Anthony (age 21) dx age 9   2/24/2004

Offline JoesMom

• Friend
    • Need coffee
    « Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • I know this isn't really relevant because Joe was already 14 when diagnosed so I don't have day care issues anymore, which are HUGE without D, so I can only imagine.  But I work full-time as a litigation paralegal (which is about 50+ hours per week) and I do legal transcription from my home in the evenings.  I put in roughly 14 hour days.

I take lots of vitamins.

Julie - Mom to Michael (28), Joe (21 - dx 1/24/07 - Omnipod), Sam (19), and Sarah (17) - and Sadie/Deeya (my Soi Dogs)
    'Colorful' Colorado

Offline kafroche

• Level 4
    « Reply #29 on: September 25, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was working 2 part times jobs before dx. We couldn't afford daycare for Liam and after care for Katie so the way we planned our schedules one of us was always home. I was a pharmacy tech at CVS and watched 2 kids plus my son. The money was good :( Then after dx I got a 3rd job at a doctor's office during the evenings.

I was laid off from 2 of them and had to quit the 3rd because of my husband's schedule. I don't miss it.....but I really miss the paychecks. We are getting to the point that I need to go out and find something. It is so hard. Like you, Liam is in 1/2 day kindergarten and finding something for 2 hours a day is near impossible. I don't know what I am going to do when he starts 1st grade and I can work all day.
    Karen...Liam 8 DX 3/2008 & Katie,11 non-d

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.