• Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: How many of you work?  (Read 9260 times)

Offline Laurel

• Level 3
    • Sporadically blogging about life
Re: How many of you work?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have to work to pay the bills and I am a single mom.  I was laid off when Hannah was diagnosed and that was convenient.

I just started a new job, systems engineer for an IT consulting firm. A LOT of phone time and remote access support. They understand Hannah has diabetes and what's really cool is the owner of the company is a practicing ER doc. He REALLY understands...to the point my insurance is free, kids aren't but mine is 100% free. How many levels of awesome is that??? (health, dental AND vision)

I can work anywhere, have laptop will travel kind of thing so when she's sick, I can just log in from home. School emergencies are pretty rare, I've not gone into this in detail yet since it kinda sounds like I'm exaggerating but I just moved the kids to a charter school close to work. All grades under one roof and while Hannah pretty much self manages during the day, she is no longer the only diabetic kid in the school, she's the 9th. 1200 kids total, and her brother is the first line of defense in an emergency. (Sophomore, just down the hall) The upper elementary admin assistant is a couple of doors from Hannah's classroom. Her son is a senior and is diabetic. In her previous life, she was a nurse and has been an amazing advocate in how a school works with D kids. They test, treat and medicate where and when they feel comfortable. Number one priority is their safety and staying in their comfort zone. One of the ladies in the high school office was the prior director for Camp Midicha, our D camp here in Michigan.

Seriously? Can I feel more relaxed during the day? Hannah's teacher has my son's schedule, his side of the school has cleared him to carry his cell phone and to be pulled from class if there is an emergency and her teacher has been amazing, he even reads my blog! Hah...

So yeah, I work because I have to but I love my job and have a real sense of peace this year with the kids at their new school.

<clap> <clap>

IMG_3890-300x225 by Two kids and a Jeep, on Flickr
    Laurel - Mom to Tom, 16 and Hannah, 13. Dx 01-12-2009

Offline momoftaylor

• Level 4
    « Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • Laurel,
    That is awesome on so many levels.  I'm so glad you found a great job and a great school for the kids.
    • linda.s.hodges
    Linda- mom to Taylor 19 Dx 1/29/08, Ryan 15 and Katie 14. Wife to Chris-misdiagnosed T2 08/06, diagnosed T1 3/14

Offline Laurel

• Level 3
    « Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Laurel,
    That is awesome on so many levels.  I'm so glad you found a great job and a great school for the kids.

Thanks!

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 10:01:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Laurel,

Ditto! <bclap>

I finally got my substitute teaching license, and I go in for orientation on Thursday.  We are beginning to need more income with Lauri in college and recently putting WAY too much money into the van for repairs.  :PO:

The only glitch is, Matthew is still suffering bad migraines and hasn't spent a full day in school in the last couple weeks. :'(  He has another appointment with the neurologist on Monday.
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline JoesMom

• Friend
    • Need coffee
    « Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
  • Publish

• The only glitch is, Matthew is still suffering bad migraines and hasn't spent a full day in school in the last couple weeks. :'(  He has another appointment with the neurologist on Monday.

keep us posted on this Patty!

Julie - Mom to Michael (28), Joe (21 - dx 1/24/07 - Omnipod), Sam (19), and Sarah (17) - and Sadie/Deeya (my Soi Dogs)
    'Colorful' Colorado

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
  • Publish

• The only glitch is, Matthew is still suffering bad migraines and hasn't spent a full day in school in the last couple weeks. :'(  He has another appointment with the neurologist on Monday.

Definitely keep us posted. 

I can completely relate to this with what we went through last year.  Campbell ended up on a modified schedule where he only attended his core classes (first 3 & last 1 of the day) and came home to rest in between.  It was the only way he could manage to function.  Not good, but we made it work. 

I hope the neurologist comes up with a plan (or meds) that work for Matthew.  I know it's miserable for him (and for you). <hug>
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 01:01:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • I hate when our kids have something else like this to deal with... as if d wasn't enough
     <hug> to Matthew

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Laurel

• Level 3
    « Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 07:53:32 PM »
  • Publish

Agreed, we are going to need updates!

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »
  • Publish

Agreed, we are going to need updates!

I started a new topic on this:
    http://www.type1parents.org/index.php/topic,23666.0.html

:)
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline SuchawittyCheryl

• Level 3
    « Reply #39 on: September 29, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • I work full time. I'm very fortunate in that my job allows me to work from home, so I have a home office. But on the same note, my job does require a lot of travel. So I am gone sometimes for a week at a time. When that happens, my Mom and Dad come out and take care of the kids. But Gunnar is getting to the age (7 years old), were he can come home from school and him and Cassiddy (12 years old), can hang out for about an hour and a half before Danny (my husband) gets home. This only happens on the days I have to go in to the office.
    Cheryl
    Gunnar (9-6-03, dx'd 1-29-07, minimed pumping since 4-23-07)
    Cassiddy (9-17-98, non-D)
    Cayleigh (9-17-98 to 4-8-99, my beloved twin angel)
    Southern California

Offline LORRI

• Friend
    « Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys.  I am just curious tho, how many of you started working after the dx?  I have applied for a number of jobs (they're really isn't anything around here atm.) And like Parth said, the only way to apply for anything in NJ iws online.  So I can't explain why I need to work the hours I do.  Right now, I am very limited bc Chris is working weird hours.  As of right now, that is only until Dec.  But until then, I will still keep on applying just to see if I get any bites.

I don't know that the hours are the only deterent.  I also wonder if employers see that I have worked in a salon for 17 yrs and wonder if I am a moron!  I chose that career bc I liked it, not bc it was all I could do.  Salon people have this rep for being airheaded which kinda shocks me bc I know how hard it is to get liscensed. 

Angela, you crack me up!  I guess terrible 2's aren't fun no matter what!!

Good luck Leslie!  That would be awesome!  :)
    Kellie can you get a job in the kids school??

Lorri mom to Alyssa 20, Justin 13 dx 1/03, Robin 10 dx 9/03
    Massachusetts

Offline BigThrash

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 02:33:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • I work full time as a lab tech mon to fri 8:30 till 5:30, my husband works full time shift work as well. The thing with Type 1 diabeties is that the child has to take on responsibility for it as well as the parent. My son does all his own monitoring, injecting, etc. We work his endo apps around my husbands shifts as well as the dietician educational sessions. I could not imagine not working.
    • Lisa Thrasher-Penrose
    Lisa- Mom to Heather(22), Brandon (17), Christoper (16, dx Sept 29 2009) Brooke (12) and Hunter (12)

Offline Lukesmama

• Level 4
    • Hangin' in
    « Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was a SAHM for 10 years until Kelsea went to preschool.  I WAS READY TO HAVE ADULT CONVERSATION!  LOL  Really I went to work for the kids school as an aide and it was nice.  I had made a career move to logistics at our local GM plant and was settled in nicely right before Luke was dx.  I am a contract employee and not a GM employee, so I didn't have near the benefits they do, however I did qualify for FMLA  and that saved my job in the that first year after dx as I missed SOOO much work.  My company was bought out in Feb and you have to be employed for a full year from a company to get FMLA so this year has been a hardship on my entire family trying to take care of Luke, including sibs, grandparents, and friends trying to help so I don't lose my job.  We need to double insure Luke because Tony's insurance is not the greatest.  Unfortunately, we built our life around a 2 job income and had debt and bills we would have drowned in if I had quit suddenly.  I work 5-1:30, so we have made it work with Tony either going in late and my mom coming over to watch Luke and me running right home from work.  I don't sleep much, my career is stagnate, but I have to keep the hamster on the wheel to keep the whole show moving along.  I am also blessed that Luke was 14 when dx and not 4--that would have changed the whole world of ours.  I'm sure I would have stayed at home much longer.
    Amy***Mom to Alex-21, Kayla-21, Austin-19, Luke-18 MDI (DX 09-13-09) & Kelsea-16

"Let go or be dragged."

[img]http://www.type1parents.org/SimpleTickers/img.php?pa=6

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.