• Online Today: 55
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: multipe siblings more than two chances  (Read 6402 times)

Offline paul.t.hinchliffe

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Re: multipe siblings more than two chances
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Is there any research pArticularly for 3 in a famimy? And i totally understand trial net i have read a bunch. We have had a child with diabetes for ten year's now.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • By no means, did I mean that you did not know this.  Just wanted to make reiterate for other readers (especially those new to this walk) that trialnet isn't a predictor.

Is this the journal study you've found? http://www.springerlink.com/content/h853613213815268/

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • No i have not seen that thank you. And i took no offense to anything that was said.

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • I know it was already mentioned, but Meri's blog would probably be a great outlook for you and/or your wife. I would suggest reaching out to her, but I do believe her husband just passed so it may take more time for her to get back to you.
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • I did go on as soon as it was mentioned but like yiu said i havent gotten a response yet. Trying to figure out how many of us there are out there.

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 02:57:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sorry you have to be here Paul, but glad you are......
    Its not as uncommon as one would think- there are several multiples(myself included) even 1 w/3 although she hasnt been here since January.

My attitude was I didnt care to do Trialnet- My wife was pregnant w/my daughter when my son was diagnosed. Sure we thought about it but really if it was gonna happen, it was gonna happen regardless. Knowing for sure or even testing positive was just why live your  life worrying? Im pretty sure one of our members had a child that tested positive 10 years ago(correct me if Im wrong Shan) and still hasnt but T1D is all around her extended family. My daughter didnt test until well after she was Dxd- Deep down, I knew, but again, what could I do about it? I just enjoyed the freedom and when it came, it came- we dont let this stop either one of them. It sucks, Id rather it not have happened to them but it did.

Chris
    -Daddy to Emily (9) dx 6/24/08 and Christopher (14) dx 7/25/04 and Ava

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 03:04:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • Do you know if they partucipate in any trials or may have data?

They don't and in fact when the oldest (18) was diagnosed, they told them it would be like winning the lotto twice to have another kid with it.
    Thats the worst fucking lottery to win once let alone twice
    Chris
    -Daddy to Emily (9) dx 6/24/08 and Christopher (14) dx 7/25/04 and Ava

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 07:26:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Chris, i agree about tge lottery, cause i sure could use the money! You said having 3 tyo1 is not uncommon, how many would you say their are. Or do you know odds or stats? Thanks alot

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »
  • Publish
  • At the Joslin site:

Type 1 Diabetes Odds

Just who is at risk for developing type 1 diabetes? Here's a sampling of what Dr. Warram, a Lecturer in Epidemiology at Harvard School of Public Health, said is known:

■If an immediate relative (parent, brother, sister, son or daughter) has type 1 diabetes, one's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is 10 to 20 times the risk of the general population; your risk can go from 1 in 100 to roughly 1 in 10 or possibly higher, depending on which family member has the diabetes and when they developed it.
    ■If one child in a family has type 1 diabetes, their siblings have about a 1 in 10 risk of developing it by age 50.
    ■The risk for a child of a parent with type 1 diabetes is lower if it is the mother rather than the father who has diabetes. "If the father has it, the risk is about 1 in 10 (10 percent) that his child will develop type 1 diabetes the same as the risk to a sibling of an affected child," Dr. Warram says. On the other hand, if the mother has type 1 diabetes and is age 25 or younger when the child is born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4 percent) and if the mother is over age 25, the risk drops to 1 in 100 virtually the same as the average American.
    ■If one of the parents developed type 1 diabetes before age 11, their child's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is somewhat higher than these figures and lower if the parent was diagnosed after their 11th birthday.
    ■About 1 in 7 people with type 1 has a condition known as type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. In addition to type 1 diabetes, these people have thyroid disease, malfunctioning adrenal glands and sometimes other immune disorders. For those with this syndrome, the child's risk of having the syndrome, including type 1 diabetes, is 1 in 2, according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA).

Caucasians (whites) have a higher risk of type 1 diabetes than any other race. Whether this is due to differences in environment or genes is unclear. Even among whites, most people who are susceptible do not develop diabetes. Therefore, scientists are studying what environmental factors may be at work. Genes influencing the function of the immune system are the most closely linked to type 1 diabetes susceptibility, regardless of race. One of those genes is HLA-DR. Most Caucasians with diabetes carry alleles (gene variants) 3 and/or 4 of the HLA-DR gene. The HLA-DR7 allele plays a role in diabetes in blacks, while HLA-DR9 allele is important in diabetes among Japanese.

http://www.joslin.org/info/genetics_and_diabetes.html

ETA: at the end of the page

"To be told a child has a 4 percent or 10 percent risk of diabetes sounds very absolute and scientific," he says. "But a myriad other things can go wrong with a child medically and socially and these risks cannot be measured precisely. Also, there are a myriad other things that can go right for a child. Even if a child does develop diabetes, it needn't prevent him or her from finding success and happiness in life. "Raising children whether they are your own or adopted is an experience involving risks of great rewards and risks of great costs that can't really be known in advance. If a number can be attached to one of those risks, should it weigh more than the others?"
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:42:01 AM by andrea »

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 07:48:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hey andrea,

I have seen this but i thought it was refering to a sibgle sibling odds.
    I have been looking for odds of having 3 and how many there are out there.
    Also support geoups, forums, or anyway to connect wuth them.

I cannot find any straightforward answers when it foes past 2 children.

Thank tou for the post

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 08:12:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm reading it as any sibling has a 1:10 chance. 

You might be able to either research Dr. Warram's journals or maybe even contact him.  But I'm showing that he's on falcuty of the Harvard School of Public Health, but he might be with Joslin under the umbrella of HSPH

My blog

Offline house216

• Level 4
    • I HATE DIABETES!!
    « Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • I don't know much about the chances, but i have to agree with the two other posters about Meri, at OUR DIABETIC LIFE.  She may be able to offer some info.  Like LEximom said, her husband just passed away, but she is still blogging, i've been reading. Her last name is Schumacher.  She really is inspirtational and you may find some comfort in her blogs. 
    Lucas, 8 yrs. old, DX, 5/10/07, Nicholas, 6 yrs. old, non-d
    South Florida

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have been looking for another blog I read where the parents had multiples but I cannot find it... I think it was posted on T1P at one point. Maybe someone can help me out... They blogged about going to Disneyland and one of the sons is in school for acting? Ring a bell?
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have been looking for another blog I read where the parents had multiples but I cannot find it... I think it was posted on T1P at one point. Maybe someone can help me out... They blogged about going to Disneyland and one of the sons is in school for acting? Ring a bell?

Oh yeah, Bennet
    http://www.ydmv.net/

My blog

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • It does not seem common. Not alot of people even know of 3 at all. I just dont know how uncommon. Neither me or my wife have it and it is not on either side of our families.  Just wkukd lije to know is it 5,25,50,100,1000 OR more in the U.S.  im assuming someone will know.

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.