• Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 12
Total: 12

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: multipe siblings more than two chances  (Read 6629 times)

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
  • I love T1P
Re: multipe siblings more than two chances
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Paul, due to HIPPA laws, I do not think you will get a secure answer. Out of curiosity, is there anyone in your or your wife's family with any endocrine or auto immune disorders? Thyroid, RA, celiac, psoriasis? From all of the research I've done, it is not Type 1 that is genetic, but autoimmune diseases. Therefore lets say your mother had a thyroid issue, your children are at risk for ANY autoimmune disease.
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • . Out of curiosity, is there anyone in your or your wife's family with any endocrine or auto immune disorders? Thyroid, RA, celiac, psoriasis? From all of the research I've done, it is not Type 1 that is genetic, but autoimmune diseases. Therefore lets say your mother had a thyroid issue, your children are at risk for ANY autoimmune disease.

That's exactly my understanding as well!  I didn't realize that we had a "family history" until Tyler was diagnosed. Now I understand the hives, and a few other conditions on my family's side represent the genetic factor.
    • Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Tyler, 16yrs, T1dx 4/21/12
    Dexcom G4 11/1/12; Omnipod 2/1/13
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • . Out of curiosity, is there anyone in your or your wife's family with any endocrine or auto immune disorders? Thyroid, RA, celiac, psoriasis? From all of the research I've done, it is not Type 1 that is genetic, but autoimmune diseases. Therefore lets say your mother had a thyroid issue, your children are at risk for ANY autoimmune disease.

That's exactly my understanding as well!  I didn't realize that we had a "family history" until Tyler was diagnosed. Now I understand the hives, and a few other conditions on my family's side represent the genetic factor.

If this is the case, then I really won't be surprised if my other children are ever dx.  My family: type 1 and hypothyroid.  Ryan's family: hypothyroid and a possible case of celiac. (I say this because the source isn't trustworthy).  And those are just the autoimmune conditions that I know about.
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Other bloggers of multiples

Tom Karla: http://diabetesdad.org/
    Kelly Kunik: http://diabetesaliciousness.blogspot.com/

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Paul, due to HIPPA laws, I do not think you will get a secure answer. Out of curiosity, is there anyone in your or your wife's family with any endocrine or auto immune disorders? Thyroid, RA, celiac, psoriasis? From all of the research I've done, it is not Type 1 that is genetic, but autoimmune diseases. Therefore lets say your mother had a thyroid issue, your children are at risk for ANY autoimmune disease.

Yeah we hit the autoimmune jackpot here too...diabetes on both sides, lupus, thyroid,  celiac .....
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Paul, I contacted Tom about your post but he's having technical difficulty responding here.  If you go to his about me page at his blog, there is contact information.  He's a man I have never met but trust inexplicably in Diabetesland.  http://diabetesdad.org/

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline paul.t.hinchliffe

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 04:54:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Neither me of my wife havs type 1 od any othef autoimmunes. We know on both sides oc ouf families as far back as we know also did not have type1 or any othef auto immunes.

I guess that is partially why i am perplexed.

I am a numbers kind of guy and really just want to know how rare it is to have 3.

Also.......yes i will be playing the lottery for now on!

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • I also contacted diabetes das. Thankyou for that

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just wanted to say hi and  <hug> and I am glad you found us.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline Juliew3

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Paul, I too have 3 t1 children. All 3 were dx at different times. First was Bodie. He was 16 mo. He's 9 now. Next was Andy. He was 20. He's 23 now. Next was Carson. He was 9 and is 11 now. If you want to private message me or find me on FB I'm Julie Jenks. Yeah, it TOTALLY SUCKS and its very emotional. I get it. We JUST "went live" with our omnipods today for the 2 younger boys. I totally sympathize with you. E mail me or contact me WHENEVER you want or need to. There's more to our story that I choose not to put out there in public, but feel if someone wants to know bad enough, they'll ask. You have permission to ask. LOL! Hang in there. EVERYTHING you are feeling is normal. I get it...I'm here...I may not have all the answers but I might be able to help in some small way. Take care...
    Julie

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • If this is the case, then I really won't be surprised if my other children are ever dx.  My family: type 1 and hypothyroid.  Ryan's family: hypothyroid and a possible case of celiac. (I say this because the source isn't trustworthy).  And those are just the autoimmune conditions that I know about.

But remember, T1 is not a genetic disease.  It is an autoimmune, and as such, has a possible genetic component.  If it were a slam-dunk, there would be a lot more cases like Paul's. That genetic tendency still has to be triggered in such a was to start the attack in the pancreas. It may very well never be triggered. Or maybe the immune system could be triggered and decide to attack something else in your body and you end up with a different autoimmune issue. Anyway, that's just how I understand it and I hope you don't have any more DX!
    • Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Tyler, 16yrs, T1dx 4/21/12
    Dexcom G4 11/1/12; Omnipod 2/1/13
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hello, its nice to hear from you. Unfortunately i dont know how to pm on here  >:(

Can someone tell me how?

Thanks a  lot

You have all been very helpful and i also am glad i found this

We are getting discharged and we will be at home for the first time with all 3 type1s and my other two daughters.

Now it gets real. Ready or not....   

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • There's 2 ways to send a pm... you can click the little bubble under the person's username (looks like it's from a cartoon) or you can click the username and then over on the left under the username there's a link to send a pm.

No idea how it feels in your shoes right now, but take baby steps into yet another unfair new normal.  Breathe when you can and allow yourself to be angry and grieve when necessary. <hug>

My blog

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.