• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 145
  • (April 21, 2011, 01:45:18 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 26
Total: 28

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Animas ping - occlusion detected  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
Animas ping - occlusion detected
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • First time getting the occlusion detected with the pump.  I disconnected te first part of te pump (not the site itself) and primed it until insulin came out.  Only a few units which was good. I reconnected the pump.  Do I need to be concerned about anything?  Any extra insulin being delivered now tht the occlusion has been pushed out?  Or can I safely bolus?   Didn't get any training on this and want to ale sure I shouldn't just change the site.  He's not due yet, so would hate todo it if I don't have to.   Any xperience you can share would be greatly appreciated. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    Re: Animas ping - occlusion detected
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:52:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • What is his blood sugar?  If it is higher than you think it should be, than I might consider changing the site.  If it is fine, I would wait until you either get a second occlusion or you see the bg rise.

Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 11) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 9) non-D, and Joseph (age 3)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ugh, total disaster.   No second occlusion, but at bed time sugar was 595.  Had to do a site change, and was so scattered, used the old tubing.  Fixed that, then put in the site without priming, so had to take it out, prime and reinsert site.  Stressful and left with a very unhappy boy.   It's an hour after bed and BG is just under 500, so new site seems to be working, despite all the problems to get it in.   Any ideas on what causes occlusions? Thinking next time I'll just change the site right away instead of risking the high BG....
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • We've only had the occlusion alarm twice I think, and as I recall, both times it was a kinked site. I think I'd probably go ahead & change the site next time, too.

For what it is worth, we have changed sites and used the old tubing on occasion. I just keep the spare tubing in a baggie for the next time we change the insulin without changing a site.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 11, Luke - 9, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 6, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with Animas Pings

Offline Lukesmama

• Level 4
    • Hangin' in
    « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:56:51 AM »
  • Publish
  • How is baby boy this morning?  Did the night go ok?  <hug> For the rough time.
    Amy***Mom to Alex-21, Kayla-21, Austin-19, Luke-18 MDI (DX 09-13-09) & Kelsea-16

"Let go or be dragged."

[img]http://www.type1parents.org/SimpleTickers/img.php?pa=6

Online andrea

• Staff
      • My Blog
    « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hope he's much better now <hug>

Occlusion alarm on animas sounds like a no delivery on minimed... we would pull the site too.

Mom to Annelies, 3 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 16 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • I agree.  An occlusion is  most like a problem with the site.  We always test more often when these happen because we never know just how much insulin actually got in with a failed bolus (usually not much).  This allows us to be more proactive than reactive.

FWIW, on our MM pump, his basal rate is too low to trigger an occlusion/delivery failure alarm.  In other words, there isn't enough resistence to delivery to trigger the alarm because the insulin delivery rate is low.  Whenever we get a delivery failure, it's always been with a bolus.  However, that doesn't mean the the basal is getting in.  It probably isn't, but it's not enough pressure to trigger the alarm.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 21, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 15

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • FWIW, on our MM pump, his basal rate is too low to trigger an occlusion/delivery failure alarm.  In other words, there isn't enough resistence to delivery to trigger the alarm because the insulin delivery rate is low.  Whenever we get a delivery failure, it's always been with a bolus.  However, that doesn't mean the the basal is getting in.  It probably isn't, but it's not enough pressure to trigger the alarm.

I meant to post this about my boys last night. Even on the most sensitive setting, any basals you would have for your little guy would be too small to be detected. (This came from an Animas CDE.) We use the "when in doubt, pull it out" train of thought.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 11, Luke - 9, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 6, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with Animas Pings

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ugh, total disaster.   No second occlusion, but at bed time sugar was 595.  Had to do a site change, and was so scattered, used the old tubing.  Fixed that, then put in the site without priming, so had to take it out, prime and reinsert site.  Stressful and left with a very unhappy boy.   It's an hour after bed and BG is just under 500, so new site seems to be working, despite all the problems to get it in.   Any ideas on what causes occlusions? Thinking next time I'll just change the site right away instead of risking the high BG....

If I accidently put in a site without priming, I disconnect the site, prime it, connect it back, fill cannulla. You don't  have to insert a new site.
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • He was doin much better today.  I checked him several times thought the night and he was coming down nicely.  By 6am he was 172 with no additional overnight corrections and decent numbers all day.  My gut told me to change te sitewhenthe alarm went off, buti didn't want te battle since he really dislikes them and my husband wasn't home yet.  Next time....I'll go with my gut!   Thanks for all the advice!
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline Tiffany***

• Level 4
    « Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:36:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • I know this thread is resolved but I'm going to throw in my .02 anyway.

I had issues with occlusion and Vivs ping.  She pumps with apidra and steel sites so kinking isn't our issue.  When I called about the occlusion they told me it's the insulin. 
    Tiffany mom to 4.  T. 9-00 non-d  V. 12-02 dx 12-08  H. 3-07  E. 9-10

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • I know this thread is resolved but I'm going to throw in my .02 anyway.

I had issues with occlusion and Vivs ping.  She pumps with apidra and steel sites so kinking isn't our issue.  When I called about the occlusion they told me it's the insulin.

Interesting.  We're still using te same bottle on insulin from when this occurred and umbels seem ok, it definitely something worth looking out for!
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.