• Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: new to pumping need some advice  (Read 1860 times)

cece

new to pumping need some advice
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our son (8) was diagnosed about 7 months ago.  We started on our medtronic pump 2 weeks ago, and are having a really hard time getting him stable. He is going from high to low and back and forth. I'm calling our endo almost every other day. They readjust but don't seem too worried about it. yesterday his high was 319 and his low was 41. I am just ready to go back to shots. We never had this problem with shots. The highest he ever saw on a shot was around 240. I'm just so frustrated. Everyone said you will love the pump, you have to have the pump ,pump,pump,pump. Any advice?

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: new to pumping need some advice
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • The only thing I can recommend is to keep looking for patterns with your endo in the logging... the only consistency with diabetes is that change is constant, so while we love pumping, it is work and takes a bit to get the initial settings adjusted to the individual needs.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 01:21:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • You're in a tough situation. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. I think I'd be ready to pitch the pump out the window, too! :)

That said, everyone's adjustment period takes a different amount of time. And because you were doing so well on shots, I'm sure it's extra difficult to want to stick with it. Honestly, if the highest number we'd ever seen on shots had been 240, I don't think you could have talked us INTO a pump, so I think you're very brave.

Have you done any basal testing? It sounds like they are still trying to get the settings dialed in, and perhaps giving them some good data to adjust from would get it moving along a lot faster. I sense your (rightful!) impatience with the endo's office being okay with this dragging on for 2 weeks, and I, too, would not be okay with just waiting for things to settle out eventually. Basal testing would make sure that the basals are set properly, then they could just tweak the carb ratios for meals and the correction factor.

At 8 years old, he's still too young to do a day-long basal test, but doing a morning of carb-free breakfast would give you a good baseline, and then a carb-free dinner a different day would give you a whole evening. Nighttimes are the easiest for the kids, but the hardest on us parents. Have a good alarm clock and some excellent coffee for the next day! That will cover all but the lunchtime hours, and I'm betting the endo can make some educated guesses based on numbers around that hour.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • For us, pumping has been a blessing. However, it has a learning curve.

Basal: It's like lantus / levemir / NPH. You need to get the rigth dose. You will usually start w/ one basal based on his lantus / levemir / NPH previous dose. You will need to adjust and he will probably will have different basals during the day. We have more than 7.
    Tips: The best thing to sep up basals is doing a basal test. You divide the day in 3 parts and ck w/out food or insulin for correction every 2 hrs. I usually let my son run between 80 - 250. If it's less or more, I stop the test, do the necessary changes and ck another day. This is a very important step to start. Look for parents and do changes on basal 2 hrs before you see something happening.
    Bolus: Insulin for food or correction. Our active insulin duration is 2 hrs. At that point if he runs high bc of food, I will 1) do correction and expect him to be in target at the next 2 hrs ck, 2) make a note of what he ate to look for future patterns.
    BS target: ours is set up from 80 - 120 during the day and 80 - 150 during the night.
    ISF: if you correct 2 consecutive times and bs still doesn't come to the target, I will consider changing it as well.

Hope this can help you a little. I remember calling the Endo every 2 hrs the first week. Once you understand why he / she is doing the change, then you will get the idea and will become 2nd nature for you.

<hug> <hug>

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:57:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was just like you when we started pumping.  I was in tears wondering WTH I had done putting him on a pump!  Give it some time.  There is a learning curve and things will get better.  Dealing with d is still unpredictible, but we find we have a much better handle on things with a pump.

It's definately not for everyone.  Some people do very well on MDI.  We did very well on MDI, but my son would never give up his pump.  He loves the convenience and flexibility and not having to take shots.

Hang in there.  Work with your endo.  It's not uncommon to have a bumpy start.  Just keep working toward your goal and you will get there.   <hug>
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ahhhh we were in your shoes almost a year ago. I regretted the pump so much! Hang in there!!!!
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Same here- we could not get the numbers figured out for a while. It was so frustrating. Our endo actually told us that it was taking "longer than normal" to get regulated. (normal, regulated, T1D???? not so much)

Hang in there!  <hug> <hug>
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 03:58:59 AM »
  • Publish
  • We had numbers all over the place when Chris first started the pump in August.  We were told it was the only way to get regularity.  Not so.  We still have days with big swings, and his highs are higher than they ever were in shots.  I'm talking about going to bed in the 400 and 500s.  We've got the day time numbers down to a pretty good place (usually in the 100s or 200s at the outset) but night time is still a problem.  I never regretted moving to the pump, but Chris is much younger, so it's really just made things easier on us, and it allows our daycare to administer insulin since they're not allowed to give shots due to state rules.  I would say it took about 6 weeks for us to get to a decent place.  It felt like a long time, but with the exception of after dinner highs, I can see I have a much happier boy.   That being said, I know it's a very personal choice and you can decide in the long run if its the right choice for your family. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.