• Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: when did your little one get a pump? which is best? CGM?  (Read 5304 times)

Offline JanetG

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
when did your little one get a pump? which is best? CGM?
« on: February 19, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • hi everyone,im a mom of an almost 3 year old little boy,Isaac, he was diagnosed last year right after his bday. Our dr has just recommended we look into the pump..im a stay at home mom and hubby works full time so it would mostly be me doing the new stuff for the pump and im a bit nervous about him ripping it out or just plain freaking out about it. He's SUPER active and i guess im looking for some opinions from other parents that have small children on the pump already and pros and cons about them. which ones are best for 3 yr olds? Do any of your kids have a CGM? does it help? is it worth it? thanks!!  :)

Offline alissasmom

• Level 4
    Re: when did your little one get a pump? which is best? CGM?
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Alissa started pumping at 2 years  old and uses animas pump, we love it . Animas is the best option for children In my opinion ,as far as CGM they are great , we have dexcom g4 we personally don't wear it 24/7 only if Shes Been having a lot of lows or highs etc .  Whel alissa first started pumping I always kept her pump locked and turned it to her back(she wears a waist pump pack )  so she didn't even see it and want to play with it . Hope this helps
    Jamie, mom to Alissa 8(dx12-1-06@14months old)pumping with a pink animas 2020  (5-13-08 ) now a green ping , and Caden 7 yrs

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • My girl was 6 at dx and 7 when we started pumping.  She can be rough and tumble but not as much as a 3 yo. 

But you're in good hands with those that are in your shoes :)

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Momme3

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our son started pumping with the Omnipod at 5. We love that you can stick it anywhere within reason ofcourse  ;) and there are no tubes to fuss with, everything is close contained and he doesn't have to wear the PDM/Insulin Controls (or he would be messing with it like a video game system lol). We will love it even more, when the new one comes out the next month or so and is smaller and lighter  :D. Downside that it doesn't have the smallest basal increment available as some of the other pumps, but this hasn't been a problem for us. He also wears a CGM almost daily now since he is hypo unaware and this has been a huge peace of mind for us, especially when he's at school. He has never complained about wearing both. Regardless you have to choose whats best for you, good luck!   :D
    Amy-
    School Nurse BSN and MOM to Jerrad 20 nond, Madison 13 nond, and
    Joshua 7 dxd 1/8/11 Omnipod and Dexcom G4

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome!

My daughter was diagnosed at 6.5 years and we were pumping within 6 months.  She's on the omnipod and we love it, but pump choice is very individual.  I suggest meeting with all the reps and handling all the pumps to see what works best for you.

We also use the dexcom cgm and it's FANTASTIC.  The combo of omnipod and dexcom makes life so much easier around here.  For what it's worth I would not consider the medtronic CGM for a kid.

Good luck!
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
  • Publish
  •  :welcome:

Hi! My daughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and started pumping a few months before her 4th Birthday. We use the MiniMed and love it, however it is a very individual decision on which pump works for your family and child. I agree with Angela about getting your hands on each pump.

No experience with Dex (yet).
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • My boys were dx'd at 18 mos and 26 mos and both were pumping by 2.5 years old with Animas pumps. I highly recommend them for folks with small children, for many reasons, not the least of which are the remote (who wants to pull out the pump to bolus all the time?) and the fact that they can keep it on for running through the sprinkler/hopping in the pool in the summertime. (Disclaimer: this tends to be a point of contention, as not everyone will feel comfortable keeping a pump on in the water even with a waterproof guarantee, but for my boys who are prone to ketones if they disconnect, it's a wonderful thing.)

My boys are as rough and tumble as they come, and they have only pulled out a site maybe 5 times between the two of them in a combined 8+ years of pumping, and they've never broken a pump. The pumps themselves are solid, and there are ways to keep the sites in place.

Both of my boys recently started on the Dexcom G4 systems, and I can't say enough great things about them. I didn't have them when my child was as young as yours is, though, so you have to decide whether you want to devote another bit of his body's real estate to another site. We use the back of my sons' arms for Dex sites and their bottoms and thighs for pump sites.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline JanetG

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you so much everyone!!! This is so helpful, I was so beyond nervous when our dr mentioned starting a pump. We have an a spot secured in a pump class in the first week in April to see and touch some different kinds of pumps. Our dr gave us info on the minimed and it has a cgm as well so I was considering that as an option. How accurate are the cgms? I know we still would do finger pricks but how often? Isaac has been having overnight lows so I'm wondering if that would help us avoid them?

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Some people use the minimed cgms with success.  We tried it and it wasn't a good fit for us.  It took almost 2 years for Annelies to even approach the subject again, each insertion was met with tears of pain (even with numbing cream) and it was frustrating for us to ever get it calibrated correctly.  Almost a year an a half ago she said she wanted to try Dexcom.  Never once a tear from insertion, even when it occasionally hurts.  She's been wearing it consistently since it arrived with only a week break for diabetes camp.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • From what I've heard and seen I would not A. Subject a child to the minimed cgm nor B. Trust it.

I have an adult friend who is a t1 and when she tried a dexcom she was SHOCKED that it neither hurt going in nor while wearing it.  She wears the medtronic CGM nearly all the time and basically it hurts constantly. 

Offline Joy

• Level 4
    « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • From what I've heard and seen I would not A. Subject a child to the minimed cgm nor B. Trust it.

I have an adult friend who is a t1 and when she tried a dexcom she was SHOCKED that it neither hurt going in nor while wearing it.  She wears the medtronic CGM nearly all the time and basically it hurts constantly. 

Jon has worn the original Minimed CGMS, the new Enlite sensors for a study (still waiting for approval from the FDA) and now is wearing the Dexcom G4 (for a study). He won't wear the current Minimed CGMS now although he had wonderful success with it for a couple of years. he LOVES the Minimed Enlite sensors and says the Dexcom insertion, while a lot better than the current Minimed sensor is way worse than the Enlite which is coming. (He dioesn't like the Dexcom insertion at all although better than the current Minimed one and also finds the Dexcom sensor too bulky.) He also found the Enlite to have better accuracy than the current Minimed one. Currently he can't comment on the accuracy of the Dexcom as he is in blinded study but will get the device unlocked later. He never had a problem with the original Minimed sensor hurting once it was in - the insertion though needed Emla and he didn't like it.

My hope is that both CGMS devices will get better accuracy (and remember meters are often off too so sometimes the CGMS is the accurate number - we found that to be the case sometimes) but that at the very least the new Minimed insertion device will encourage Dexcom to get better with theirs.  Jon currently says that when the Enlite sensors are approved he will wear them all the time - I will be interested to see his thoughts after he uses the Dexcom G4 unblinded in a few months.
    Mom to Jon 26
    dx 1/22/06 at age 15

Offline JoesMom

• Friend
    • Need coffee
    « Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Joe started pumping at about 15 1/2.  He was hell on wheels with it at first and seemed to bump a pod off every other day, but eventually got better.  ;)   O0

All kidding aside, I think you've gotten a lot of good information here.  We are podders and that's all we know.

Julie - Mom to Michael (28), Joe (21 - dx 1/24/07 - Omnipod), Sam (19), and Sarah (17) - and Sadie/Deeya (my Soi Dogs)
    'Colorful' Colorado

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Janet! Welcome to the board.

IMO, all pumps do the same. My son was 2-1/2 yo when dx and he started pumping a few months later when he was 3 already. The pump is the best tool to control bs. Some insurances cover a brand only, others may consider all of them. So, what I did, was to ck w/ insurance first (7 years ago). They cover Minimed w/ the eyes closed. I didn't want to be involved in any insurance fight as I was overwhelmed w/ the condition. MM we choosed and still using it (you need to change it every 4 years as the warranty will expire). It works great for my son and no complaints at all.

When we started pumping the MM rep went to our house and let us try the pump for 1 week. I put it on and was able to practice it, sleep w/ it, do everything around w/out any problem. My son decided he want to be like me and ask for one for him. Sad but was the good oportunity to hook him. 1 week of saline trial for him and then live w/ insulin. Never had a problem w/ him not wanting the pump. He pushes all buttons when he was on saline trial. The curiosity was over and never ever touch the pump w/out my consent.

We tried the CGM from MM. Not a big deal even tho was a pain in the neck for calibrations. I loved to see his bs #s all the time but it wasn't worthy (for us). I have heard good reviews on the Dexcom CGM. Still, I don't feel the need to have one (so far). And this is not bc I don't deal w/ highs and lows. I do. I think it's normal when you have diabetes and kids. But we can manage to make it work (so far).

Good luck on your search!

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
  • Publish
  • Jon has worn the original Minimed CGMS, the new Enlite sensors for a study (still waiting for approval from the FDA) and now is wearing the Dexcom G4 (for a study). He won't wear the current Minimed CGMS now although he had wonderful success with it for a couple of years. he LOVES the Minimed Enlite sensors and says the Dexcom insertion, while a lot better than the current Minimed sensor is way worse than the Enlite which is coming. (He dioesn't like the Dexcom insertion at all although better than the current Minimed one and also finds the Dexcom sensor too bulky.) He also found the Enlite to have better accuracy than the current Minimed one. Currently he can't comment on the accuracy of the Dexcom as he is in blinded study but will get the device unlocked later. He never had a problem with the original Minimed sensor hurting once it was in - the insertion though needed Emla and he didn't like it.

My hope is that both CGMS devices will get better accuracy (and remember meters are often off too so sometimes the CGMS is the accurate number - we found that to be the case sometimes) but that at the very least the new Minimed insertion device will encourage Dexcom to get better with theirs.  Jon currently says that when the Enlite sensors are approved he will wear them all the time - I will be interested to see his thoughts after he uses the Dexcom G4 unblinded in a few months.

I saw a piece comparing accuracy of CGMs- the new minimed (enlite) sensors are less accurate than the dexcom seven  :(   The G4 is definitely the "most accurate" currently out.  Not sure how it compares to the navigator (no longer available here...)

Offline MelindaC

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi and  :welcome:

Makenna started pumping at about 4 1/2. We use Medtronic and love it, but like the others said what works for us might not work for you so check them all out. I will say we started using the MM CGM and have not been happy with it at all. In my opinion it is not made for little kids. It hurts when inserted and calibrating has been an issue. I find it is rarely accurate so lately she hasn't been wearing it at all.

Mom to :
    Quentin 14 Non D
    Bethany 12 Non D
    Nathan   9 Non D
    Makenna 7 dx 3/22/11 Pumping Medtronic

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.