• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: when did your little one get a pump? which is best? CGM?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline JanetG

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Re: when did your little one get a pump? which is best? CGM?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks again everyone! This site is awesome I'm so glad I found it. It's really nice to chat with other parents and get real input other than drs. We spoke to isaacs endo and she recommended the Medtronic for him to start out with. He's tall and skinny and she says this is a good starting pump cuz it does a lot. But she said they won't ok a cgm till we've been pumping for 6 months. They want 1 thing at a time and since we've been having a hard time getting Isaac to sit for his meals lately she says pumping will really help.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • What I've learned is that pump choices are very individual and "recommendations" are usually based of what they're used to and comfortable with.

If you're ok with that choice, by all means...but I would encourage that you look at them all and decide what feature is most important for your/his needs.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • What I've learned is that pump choices are very individual and "recommendations" are usually based of what they're used to and comfortable with.

If you're ok with that choice, by all means...but I would encourage that you look at them all and decide what feature is most important for your/his needs.

yeahthat.  All the pumps do the same thing.  Personally I want to smack endos who "suggest" one over another in 99.9% of cases.  It's very rare that one pump is really BEST for a person beyond personal preference. 
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline JulieChatellier

• Level 4
    • Decide your priorities in life & see them through!
      • Wildlife Art Taxidermy
    « Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Alyssa was 7 (7 1/2) when dx'd and started pumping at 9. We have always been with the Minimed pump and love it. The only drawback I can give about this pump is the tubing for the site. It sometimes gets in the way. However, she finds the pods too bulky so she "deals with it".

Good luck on your pumping journey! I dont know how I would have ANY sanity if it werent for the pump. It has been a real blessing to our lives.
    Julie ~  Mom to: Alyssa 19 (MM Pumper dx'd @ 7) & Non D: Ryan 15, Maison 13, & Jada 11 - SOUTH LOUISIANA
    [/URL]

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Why does it seem that all endos automatically suggest medtronic? I'm starting to think they all get kick backs.  <roflmao>  I'll give mine some credit since he did admit that he likes it because it's the one he knows best. But sheesh! Our CDE really loves Medtronic too. She tried to tell me that a lot of people don't even bother using the remote once they have it. Yay right. lol

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • Why does it seem that all endos automatically suggest medtronic? I'm starting to think they all get kick backs.  <roflmao>  I'll give mine some credit since he did admit that he likes it because it's the one he knows best. But sheesh! Our CDE really loves Medtronic too. She tried to tell me that a lot of people don't even bother using the remote once they have it. Yay right. lol

I'd like to second this. There is NOTHING that the Medtronic pump does that the others don't. Conversely, there's really nothing that the others do that the others don't. Especially relating to him being tall and skinny? I hate to say it, but she's feeding you a line. If she's saying it because she likes certain pump sites from Medtronic, there are comparable sites for EVERY Medtronic site on the Animas side.

If YOU want the Medtronic pump, fine. But please, don't choose that pump just because they pushed you away from the others. I've found that many of the endos (our first one included) were gun-shy to use anything but Medtronic and as more kids have been placed on other brands, they have come around to seeing the benefits of all of them, each for different families. And I'll also add that for a child as small as yours, many here would NOT recommend the Medtronic CGM, so the integration feature isn't one you'd use.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 03:53:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • Pump brand is personal choice not doctor or CDE choice. 

And I'll be another one to say it seems as if a lot of endos push MM.  My mom's endo did, and I think she even asked him once.  He said it was all he was familiar with.  And even my mom has wondered why we would choose something else.  She may have had diabetes most of her life, but she often forgets to look outside the box.   ;D  She calls me with pump questions and and help figuring things out.  I've read the manual for the MM Revel, just so I can help her when she needs it. 
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • We have a resource page at the site to compare the pumps and cgms to get you started :)

http://www.type1parents.org/index.php/page,76.html

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
  • Publish

I've heard in a lot of places the medtronic reps are really really pushy.  Luckily here they were all nice and not pushy at all.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't have sources to back it but my theory is that Minimed has be out the longest.  Kind of like why most use Lantus vs Levemir.

Random fact I found while I was looking for a source... the inventor of the insulin pump is Dean Kamen...he also invented the Segway. 

My blog

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • I agree with these last comments.  We have the Medtronic pump and love it.  We are due for a new pump next year, and I'm pretty sure we will go with Medtronic again.

The endo has no business recommending one pump over another.  It's kinda like choosing a cell phone.  Each phone allow you to call and text whomever you want, but have different unique additional features.  All pumps deliver insulin.  It's the little bells and whistles that make them different and that is ALL about personal preference.

Have a personal meeting with the pump reps to decide which pump fits YOUR family's needs/wants best.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline kafroche

• Level 4
    « Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • Didn't read all the replies so sorry if I repeat anything. 

Liam was dx at 2 and pumping at 3.  We used medtronic and thought it was a great pump for a toddler.   It stood up very well to a rough and tumble little boy. We used steel sites and never had one rip out. 

We pumped for 3 years and Liam asked to go back to pens.  His numbers are good on Lantus so we did :).

Karen...Liam 8 DX 3/2008 & Katie,11 non-d

Offline JanetG

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • thanks so much everyone! we contacted our endo again and she said the same thing,that we could have reps come to our house to show us dif pumps. We have a list of a few dif ones that we are interested in. I do like the fact that if we wanted a CGM the minimed has one build in but i want to check out a few before we decide! :) how long did it take to actually receive the pump once you got the process started?

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • I would not personally choose the minimed cgm, especially for a child.  It hurts (a lot) and is not very accurate, especially it seems for little ones.

Once we decided we had the pump within a couple of weeks.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • We've used both the Minimed cgms and Dexcom.

Minimed caused us much frustration calibrating it and the pain it caused Annelies (at insertion, even after numbing cream) and the rash she'd get under the transmitter.  I like the Dexcom better, surprisingly, I like that it's not integrated into her pump.  All weekend she fought illness.  Dexi sat between us and I could easily pick it up and check to see where she was.  I can actually hear it at night (we have it in a glass next to a baby monitor).  We did the Minimed one before they had the mysentry.  At night we'd often have issues of lost signal (she's a belly sleeper) even though the pump was close.  And if it did alarm, we couldn't hear it.

Little ones, my preference is Dexcom.  It is easier to calibrate...you don't have to have a steady trend, it has a wider bgl range you can calibrate and they can play a little distance away while you hold the receiver.  I used to get tons of "again mom?"  on mimimed when I wanted to check because she'd have to pull it out. 

My blog

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything