• Online Today: 60
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: when did your little one get a pump? which is best? CGM?  (Read 5551 times)

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
  • I love T1P
Re: when did your little one get a pump? which is best? CGM?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Lexi uses the OneTouch Animas Ping. We LOVE it... But we HATE the company. If you go with Medtronic, I will almost guarentee that you will not use the integrated CGM. So, if that's the only feature that makes you lean towards the Medtronic, I'd think again! The OneTouch Ping is waterproof, medtronic is not. Also, I can remote bolus from pretty much across the room! The few times I've had to pull out her pump to bolus, it has been hell. Not to mention, she's in preschool and the remote bolus makes everyone's life easier without drawing attention to her. We also have the Dexcom 7 that we rarely wear, but only because it's a lot for a little body to wear. I would not subject her to the Minimed CGM, and our CDE HIGHLY discouraged it when we asked about it.
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • My son started pumping just after he turned two lady year.  We use animas and I really like it.  Our endo recommended it because the daycare we go to is very familiar with tat pump, so it sounded like a winner to me. 

We used a loaner pump from our endo until the new one came from animas which was great.  They had some site and cartridges that we could use while we waited for supplies.  We had two sites come out since starting last August, both times because we didn't give enough slack.
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline JanetG

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • thanks again everyone! we decided to go with the minimed but no CGM yet,our dr wont approve a CGM until after at least 6 months of pumping anyway. We should be receiving the pump any day now. I'm really hoping it makes life a little easier on all of us. My little guy has not been eating very much at meal times so im really hoping the pump will help as then he can eat whenever he wants. I'm still concerned about not knowing his glucose level overnight but again am hoping the pump will help us get control then maybe in the future we can look into a CGM. But i do agree with a few of you who already mentioned the extra site being a lot for a little body to take. Isaac is about to turn 3 and is VERY slender and tall. I just fear the first couple insertions will scare the living crap out of my little guy  :-\

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • Before you decide on the Minimed CGMS, I'd ask to do a trial on it first.  I know I drink the Dexcom Kool-aid, but we did first start out with Minimed because of the cgms integration.  It was not a good fit for us at all.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • I also caution against the minimed cgm and we never used it.  I have an adult t1 friend- when she tried dexcom (has used the mm cgm for years) was SHOCKED that it didn't hurt.  Not at insertion, not while wearing it.  The MM HURTS.  AND the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline MelindaC

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Before you decide on the Minimed CGMS, I'd ask to do a trial on it first.  I know I drink the Dexcom Kool-aid, but we did first start out with Minimed because of the cgms integration.  It was not a good fit for us at all.

I haven't had any of Andreas Kool-aid and I completely agree! We used it for about a month and a half before I gave up. Not only does it hurt but it was not reliable at all. Makenna is 5 and I just don't think it is a good fit for little ones. If you can try it before you buy it I would go that route.

Mom to :
    Quentin 14 Non D
    Bethany 12 Non D
    Nathan   9 Non D
    Makenna 7 dx 3/22/11 Pumping Medtronic

Offline vinedyta

• Level 3
    • You flushed what?
    « Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 05:18:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Why does it seem that all endos automatically suggest medtronic? I'm starting to think they all get kick backs.  <roflmao>  I'll give mine some credit since he did admit that he likes it because it's the one he knows best. But sheesh! Our CDE really loves Medtronic too. She tried to tell me that a lot of people don't even bother using the remote once they have it. Yay right. lol

Both endo's I have dealt with suggested the Animas Ping for us! Our CDE has a medtronic and his Daughter has an Animas Ping! I love the Ping for Vincenzo I use the remote all the time. He was 5 when he started pumping dx'd at 4. We love pumping!

I agree it is a personal choice. Find what works best for you!
    Edy

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything