• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: New to type 1 diabetes  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Shann2327

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
New to type 1 diabetes
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • My two year old daughter got diagnosed with type one diabetes in November. Where I live there is not a single toddler other than mine with type one diabetes!! I don't have anyone to talk to other than the diabetic clinic!! She is a picky eater because she is only 2. Has anyone had issues with trying to get their toddler to eat and eat healthy?

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: New to type 1 diabetes
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • My daughter was older, but we have several who will be by shortly who know exactly how you're feeling.

So glad you found us <hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug>  Welcome aboard!  Not sure what you mean by "eat healthy"  Especially as a toddler, they should eat what they would eat otherwise.  Now eating at all can be a challenge sometimes!

Hopefully the toddler-experienced moms will be along shortly.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi! My daughter was diagnosed at age 2 1/2 , I know about the picky eating and fighting and bribing to eat. I will post more once I am home , what is your insulin regimen? Are you doing an I:c ratio or set carb amounts?
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • So sorry to hear of your dx.  We have several moms here who have kiddos dx when they were toddlers.  I'm sure they can help with the specific challenges of toddlers.  The rest of us are certainly here to support you in everything else.  We get how hard it is to be a pancreas for someone else.  We even have a few adult T1 who are awesome role models of how to live well despite d.

This website has been a lifesaver for me.  Right here is mostly where I learned about taking the best care of my son, being his advocate, and learning how to not let d take over our lives.  So sorry your daughter has d, but so happy you found us! 
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Lexi was diagnosed at 3, but she's not a very picky eater. The limited snacking was a nightmare though!!! Where are you located?

We went through a phase where Lexi used food for control. It's so much harder when the kids have D. A lot of doctors will say that kids won't starve themselves and will eat it eventually... Well when you NEED your child to eat, that doesn't always work! We used to disguise anything she didn't like in cheese or ranch. Lexi was very lucky to have great success with Lantus so if she didn't eat, it wasn't the end of the world.
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hello!

Sorry about your dd dx, but glad you found us.

My son was dx w/ 2-1/2 yo but he was never a picky eater. Still I learn that you shouldn't dose insulin for food until they are done w/ it. Little amount of food w/ carb if this is what they want. All toddlers will eat when they are hungry.

Eating healthy was not a problem for us bc my son liked everything from fruits, vegetables, meat, homemade food, etc. But he also loves the junk like pizza, ice cream, candy, etc. It's normal for them to like the junk. I wouldn't worry too much. Introducing foods is not fun when the child doesn't want, but you don't need to force. Sooner than later she will change what she likes and maybe willing to try something else.

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • ok, home now  :)  So first thing I would say is that she can eat the same way she did before. I know for us initially after diagnosis I went off the deep end trying feed her healthy and limit what she was having- until her pediatrician did an "intervention" because she had lost even more weight and had us log what she was eating very strictly including calories and I was limiting her so much it was insane is what we discovered.

Second thing I would say is that the more you stress out about the eating the more of an issue she will make it- it will be the one thing she can control. I learned in order to not stress out about it is what we would do is either bolus AFTER she eats or bolus for HALF of what I think she would eat up front and the rest- if need be after.

I also gave in for a while and just let her eat what she wanted. We went through about a 3 week period that she had a PB&J sandwich for every meal  :o

Offline Shann2327

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks everyone!! I live in Canada, Ontario. She isn't usually too bad with eating, it's just been the last few weeks!! She has been living on peanut butter sandwiches because she won't eat her dinner!! She has had the flu and a cold the last couple of days and her sugars have been a little too high for our liking. My biggest thing is I'm not too sure yet how to count carbs, I feel like I should know what I'm doing by now 😞 I know I'll be there one day, but for right now it's stressful because she is on 4 needles a day. She is doing ok with the needles. However, since she's been sick she has been fighting me off trying to give her the needles. Also, the last few days she does not want her lunch. So I have been giving her a glass of milk and a pudding or even a half a popsicle. Is that ok?

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • My son was diagnosed at 17 moths ad is now 2.5.  He goes through phases of being willing to eat anything to all of a sudden only being willing to eat a couple of things.  When they're sick, they probably don't want much.  The Popsicles are good since they help keep them hydrated. 

Anyway, I'm a picky eater which makes matters worse.  We tried to not introduce too much junk to Chris even before diagnosis.   We push fruit at home and he usually gets a vegetable every day at daycare. 

We have no toddlers in our area that we know about either.  I finally ave a co workers whose son has D, but he's 9 and was 5 at dx, so or experiences are slightly different.  Even if you don't know D parents with toddlers, it's nice just to know a parent that understands the disease and how you're feeling. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks everyone!! I live in Canada, Ontario. She isn't usually too bad with eating, it's just been the last few weeks!! She has been living on peanut butter sandwiches because she won't eat her dinner!! She has had the flu and a cold the last couple of days and her sugars have been a little too high for our liking. My biggest thing is I'm not too sure yet how to count carbs, I feel like I should know what I'm doing by now 😞 I know I'll be there one day, but for right now it's stressful because she is on 4 needles a day. She is doing ok with the needles. However, since she's been sick she has been fighting me off trying to give her the needles. Also, the last few days she does not want her lunch. So I have been giving her a glass of milk and a pudding or even a half a popsicle. Is that ok?

Most of the times in my experience you will see highs with colds. That is normal.

pudding/popsicle- perfectly fine! Even if she doesn't want to eat that's ok too

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • When my daughter was diagnosed at age 6, she ate chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, baby carrots, chocolate pudding and milk for lunch and dinner each meal in the hospital.  When we got home, it was what she wanted for dinner every night and we let her.  It was the only thing we knew how to count correct.  Must have gone on another week before she decided she was hungry for something else.

What insulin regime do they have her on?  Depending on that, it might be ok if she doesn't eat lunch, as long as her blood sugar is ok. 

We can help you with carb counting.  Let us know what their instructions to you are and we'll help from there.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Shann2327

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks everyone!! It's nice to have this site, that's for sure. She is on a humalog ( which is fast acting) its a sliding scale though and she is on nph( which is a long acting insulin)

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.