• Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: meal time  (Read 2806 times)

Offline jamie2622

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
meal time
« on: February 27, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • My baby girls is about to turn three. She sure has a mind of her own and meal times have become very hard. I try to guess what i think she will eat and give insulin for it 15 mins early only now she is super picky and won't eat and even have a fit about it. This leaves her loaded with insulin and little to no food eaten. How do you all handle meal times with your little ones. Also, she only seems to want milk and bread. She will whine and cry until she gets it. This behavior is new. Ideas???

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    Re: meal time
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • My son is 2.5 and we don't pre bolus for that very reason.  Most times he eats everything but there have been times he doesn't and I have to pester him to eat. 

My son also goes through phases of wanting certain things.  He gets plenty of milk throughout the day and at bed time, so that's usually not an issue.  With little ones you never know what might strike their fancy this week...
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • I agree that while she is going through this phase to either post-bolus OR pre bolus for only half of what you think she might eat and then post bolus for the rest (of course that requires two shots).

-Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline jamie2622

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • I think I am going to go back to bolus during and after eating. She is on a pump so its easy to do. That reminds me, The endo has us checking her two hours after she eats and she is almost never under 200 like they want her to be. When the two hour check was under 200 she would crash in another hour. Its like it takes a long time to return to a good range. Is this normal for kids her age?

Offline Momme3

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • I agree I wouldn't pre-bolus, rather try to as soon as you can after she eats. Little kids eating patterns are way to unpredictable. Our son is just now to a point where I'm comfortable bolusing him before meals consistently and he's 7.
    Amy-
    School Nurse BSN and MOM to Jerrad 20 nond, Madison 13 nond, and
    Joshua 7 dxd 1/8/11 Omnipod and Dexcom G4

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • I think I am going to go back to bolus during and after eating. She is on a pump so its easy to do. That reminds me, The endo has us checking her two hours after she eats and she is almost never under 200 like they want her to be. When the two hour check was under 200 she would crash in another hour. Its like it takes a long time to return to a good range. Is this normal for kids her age?

It is normal for the young ones to be really spiky. If I check Kaelyn at the 2 hour mark we will very often see upper 200's/300's. This is where prebolusing comes in handy- but the eating thing prevents that.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline jamie2622

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • yes, upper 200 and lower 300. Good to know its ok. I'm going crazy trying to make it perfect. Time to let go a little. I just worry all the time about doing the right thing.

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't know any toddler t1s who are under 200 at 2 hours post meal.  I don't think that is realistic at that age.  Does your endo have a lot of experience with t1 toddlers?  That is more what you'd want to see in teens.  Even young kids are hard to get in that range.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • My brand new five year old is always above 200 2 hours post. She seems to drop somewhere between 3-4 after. And we definitely post-bolus. What she eats well one day she won't eat the next.

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 07:21:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • The spike is more manageble when you pre-bolus, so if you keep checking 2 hours post meal, expect to see higher spikes.  I agree that pre-bolusing is a bit dangerous for her right now.  And FWIW, it doesn't just happen to toddlers.  We often see a hefty spike after a meal (especially breakfast).  What is most important is that they come back into range without going low when the insulin is finished working.   Like you, if we gave more insulin to try to tame the spike, then he would crash by the time the insulin was done.

Personally, I think a 2 hour post meal check is silly.  It's too soon after she has eaten.  She has too much IOB to correct at that point, so what good does it do you?

You are a long way from the teen years, but I'm just putting this out there for others who may be reading.  Our endo has said our meal spikes are related to the volume of carbs that he eats.  She said not to expect the spikes to be more controllable until he is a full grown adult.  The nutritionist says he needs at least the amount of carbs he is getting daily and there is room in his diet for even more.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline Lukesmama

• Level 4
    • Hangin' in
    « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:16 AM »
  • Publish
    You are a long way from the teen years, but I'm just putting this out there for others who may be reading.  Our endo has said our meal spikes are related to the volume of carbs that he eats.  She said not to expect the spikes to be more controllable until he is a full grown adult.  The nutritionist says he needs at least the amount of carbs he is getting daily and there is room in his diet for even more.

YES! When our nutritionist and endo said this, I was like PRAISE BE!!! He is a growing boy that loves to eat and loves his carbs.  He is thin and spot on his height and weight, so no issues with overeating or weight, but I was killing myself trying to figure out how to get that spike down.  Endo says, 'not very likely to happen, Amy, until he is grown.'  I was relieved.
    Amy***Mom to Alex-21, Kayla-21, Austin-19, Luke-18 MDI (DX 09-13-09) & Kelsea-16

"Let go or be dragged."

[img]http://www.type1parents.org/SimpleTickers/img.php?pa=6

Offline usbornetheresa

• T1P Twitter admin
    • Staff
      • Usborne Books & More
    « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • I don't know any toddler t1s who are under 200 at 2 hours post meal.  I don't think that is realistic at that age.  Does your endo have a lot of experience with t1 toddlers?  That is more what you'd want to see in teens.  Even young kids are hard to get in that range.

I wondered the same thing.  2 hours is difficult when the longevity of insulin is 3-4 hours. 

I won't deny predosing is best but I would also think a small bolus up front would be best for you especially since you are pumping and it doesn't mean an extra stick.
    Theresa
    Mom to Tori (14yo) dx 3/2006
    Pumping with Animas Ping 8/2010
    Dex G4 10/2013
    Michigan
    [/URL]

Offline jamie2622

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • thanks everyone this has been so helpful.
    Mich*09 everything you said is right on. I fell like the two hour check is pointless too. It just makes me feel bad like i'm doing something wrong. The pump won't correct because the insulin is already on board to cover it and when we had her under 200 and the two hour check she would come crashing down fast. We are working with the endos at Childrens Hospital here in Seattle.
    thanks again

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm in Oregon! Maybe we can grab coffee next time I head up to Seattle! Lexi is 5 and is never under 200 2 hours post meal. Shame on your doctor! You're doing great mom!
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline lizzye6

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • There is still times that i wait to have my daughter bolus she is 13  will be 14 in march she is very picky.

And i think check at the  2 hour mark isnt any good Fala eats lunch at 12.30pm at school she gets home at 3pm and she is still in the 200s when brought this up to her endo she said that she is still high because of her lunch not to worry about it.

Mom to Charles 24 ,Dantha 23 ,Fala 14 [dx 9-11-2010]pumping with the ping since[ 9-26-2011] and my baby Halona 13

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.