• Online Today: 69
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Had our endo visit  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
Had our endo visit
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • He was down to 8.2, pretty good since e was 9.2 6 months ago.  Decided our changes are too conservative, and made a bunch of changes across the board.  Hoping I see better numbers over the next several months.  She asked if Chris was interested in potty training and I told her he wasn't really.  She indicated that when kids have higher blood sugars have a difficult fine controlling their bladder and potty training may be difficult.  We have him using the potty on bath days, but other than that he really doesn't want to try.  Any suggestions?  He'll be three in June.
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    Re: Had our endo visit
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:30:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • Good job on bringing the A1C down. I agree w/ being agressive. IMO, it's the only way to keep a low A1C. Of course, that doesn't mean having lows all the time.

I trained my kids since they were 18 months (In Cuba, from where I'm from, kids are sitting in the potty since they can seat ~ 6 months. By the time they are 1 yo, they go to the bathroom already). But I wait a little longer. By the time Adrian (the one w/ T1D) was 2 yo, he was potty trained already. Months before his dx, he started peeing the bed and read it was normal for kids to do that. So, little by little, taking more work from me, I took him several times during the night to go pee until he could be able to control himself.

My advice will be to train him. There will be accidents w/ or w/out D. You don't punish him, you just take him to the potty more frequently and reward him for the times he ask you to go by himself. Not easy, but can be done. Good luck!

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • First off great job!

I've never potty trained with d.  BUT my advice it to gently encourage, but do not push potty training so that it becomes a battle of wills.  I let all 3 of mine outside with just a shirt/nothing on when it got warm and it at the very least taught them "where" pee comes from. 

I would continually offer it, not just on bath days.  Maybe incorporate into your morning routine to sitting on the potty for a short bit right when he gets up?  Change his 1st diaper in the bathroom even just to start and not force the potty.

And every child will potty train differently.  All 3 of mine went about it totally different.
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline Momme3

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:26:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Glad the A1c is down!  <bclap>
    Never potty trained a D kid either, but I have trained two boys  ::) and even without D they were far more difficult than my daughter. My tips are this if he isn't waking with alot of dry diapers, I wouldn't really put to much effort into because his body just might not be able to do it yet, if he is waking with 60% or more dry diapers this is a good sign he can hold it for extended amounts of time. Rewarding is good and making a really big deal out of it with praise even when he attempts it only. I never used pull-ups (confuses them to much like a diaper). I used the thick cloth underwear and would put them on them for just a few hours a day. Also remember to take him at optimal times right when he wakes, an hr after eating and before bedtime. Also have dad show him how to do it  ;) , my boys loved that especially Josh who would watch his brother too lol. Patience is key and don't worry about time, he'll get it eventually.
    Amy-
    School Nurse BSN and MOM to Jerrad 20 nond, Madison 13 nond, and
    Joshua 7 dxd 1/8/11 Omnipod and Dexcom G4

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • I DID potty train with D, but I have a girl and I won't lie- she was incredibly easy (I got really lucky). What worked for us was making a reward chart. Every time she peed on the potty she got 1 sticker. When she pooped on the potty she got 2 stickers. When The chart was full she got a BIG reward (for us it was a little tikes princess car).  The only thing is I SWEAR she held her pee and peed twice as often to get more stickers.  <roflmao>

We also made a big deal out of it- I had a whole pee pee in the potty dance I did for her when she would go.  ;D
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've never trained with D. Mackenzie was super easy because she was motivated. Shortly after her 2nd bday my mom was talking to her about the potty and told her she would buy her a prize when she used the potty and wore big girl panties. She woke up the next morning demanding panties because "Gwamma buy me a Dora pack pack." Two weeks later she was trained.

Kayleigh was three when she was finally trained. My mom offered her the same deal and she said she wanted the prize but wasn't really ready to train. I left her alone and when she was ready she started going potty. It took her about a month to master it.

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:35:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • We've been doing the bath time thing for several months now and have even offered new Thomas trains without much success of doing t more.  Ive asked him to go other times and he says no.  At night I usually have to change his diaper once because eS peed through it or will soon if I don't change it.  I know one of my sisters had said when Her older son turned three, he all of a sudden interested.   Chris has seen dad and his younger cousins similar in age use the potty, but still not all tat interested.  I don't want rover push it and totally turn him off.  I'm kind of surprised that he's not interested because e hates diaper changes.  And most recently he has this yeast infection tat wot go away and bothers him, but still nothing.  I know it will come with time, so hope he'll get on board soon.
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:49:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • You could just go cold turkey.  That is essentially what I did with my last one.  I had to clean up a lot of messes and do a lot of laundry, but he figured it out in less than 2 weeks.  I also have wood floors so it was easy to clean up.  He also never peed on my furniture.

I did wait until nap time was dry with all 3.  I also wouldn't stress about night time.  My middle son was not potty trained at night until 8!  And that took a bed wetting alarm.  He still occasionally wakes up with running to the bathroom and needing to change his underwear. 
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline Momme3

• Level 4
    « Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »
  • Publish
  • Neither of mine were trained and really started until 3 yrs old. My daughter was trained at 18 months, she hated diapers and like pretty panties, not my boys lol.
    Amy-
    School Nurse BSN and MOM to Jerrad 20 nond, Madison 13 nond, and
    Joshua 7 dxd 1/8/11 Omnipod and Dexcom G4

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything