• Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Normal fasting results - should I push the doctor?  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Apl1

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Normal fasting results - should I push the doctor?
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi, everyone: 

I'm not sure I should even be posting on here, since we do not have a Type 1 diagnosis as of yet, but please bear with me for a few moments.  I am a mom who could really use some guidance from this community. 

I have a 25 month old, and I have been increasingly worried about her.  For the last several months (since maybe October) she has just had one stomach bug after another, or she'll just randomly throw up for no apparent reason, though it usually is always about two hours after she eats. When this happens, she is always fussy and uncomfortable and then vomits several times and is fine.  She has had several ear infections and therefore yeast diaper rashes from the antibiotics, but it takes longer and longer to clear either up.  We've even had two staph infections from the yeast diaper rashes becoming so infected.  But, outside of antibiotics, she'll also have random yeast or bacterial rashes.  I think the longest we go is a week without a really intense, bleeding diaper rash, despite my best preventative efforts.  When I starting researching whether those rashes could indicate something else or not, I finally came across diabetes.  It was like reading a description of my child.  She drinks constantly.  She has started waking up from nap time and in the mornings soaked through.  In the middle of the night, she will often start crying because her pajamas, her sheets, her whole body are soaked.  Overnight diapers do seem to be helping some.  She can eat her 3.5 year old sister under the table (though her sister admittedly doesn't eat much), but she's always either asking to eat or drink something.  She's not skin and bones, but she's not gaining a ton of weight either. She's just under 25 pounds.

I know this is getting long, but I promise I'm almost finished...I called the doctor and asked to be seen.  I think she ordered the fasting glucose test more to humor me than anything.  The results just came back as 78.

Here is all the other relevant info I can think of:

We do have autoimmune issues in our family. Rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.  But no Type 1 as far as I know.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if this could have been an "episode"...we were visiting my family for my sister's wedding recently.  She had diarrhea on the way down in the car, but usually does on road trips.  I think I had given her juice, but I'm not sure. She doesn't ever get juice at home.  Just milk and water. But, my mom gave her juice boxes the whole time we were there.  She slept until noon every day. The day of the wedding, she threw up several times while with my husband (I was the matron of honor and not with her most of the day), and had horrible, explosive diarrhea, and that night she was so out of it I could barely get her to sit up and look at me, but she did so i let her sleep.  I thought she was just tired and had a virus. The next night she ended up with a fever of 100.9 and I called our ped back home who just said to keep her hydrated, etc. 

I talked to her about the frequent but random vomiting episodes we had been having outside of this, and she just said that was probably her "Achilles Heel" and that was how her body dealt with being sick - by throwing up. 

Anyway, I know this is a ton of info, but I'm feeling a little lost. My mommy gut tells me something is going on, and I don't know if it is diabetes, but I read descriptions and it just fits so well.  Any input is very much wanted.

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    Re: Normal fasting results - should I push the doctor?
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug>   Sorry your little one has been sick!

Could be?  Could not be?  Fasting numbers are the last to show though.  If it was one of my non-d kids, I would sugar them up (big carby meal- pancakes, syrup, oj, etc) and check them after an hour.  But I have meters and strips at hand.  You could get the glucose urine test strips from the pharmacy and check with those maybe but I know it's not as real time as blood.

Good luck!  I hope that whatever it is your little one feels better soon.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • All of this info sounds EXACTLY like what I went through with my daughter until the day she was diagnosed at age 3. Fasting blood sugar is great at 78, but that's typically the last to go. Do you have a home glucose monitoring kit? If so, I wouldn't wait for a fasting number... I would start doing random checks...

I cannot express how identical this sounds to my daughter... Random vomiting spells, yeast infections, ear infections, she even has pneumonia and croup...

Also, it is my understanding that autoimmune disorders are genetic, but not necessarily the same disorder... Does that make sense? The RA in one person can translate to thyroid in another... And so on...
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • We had the random vomitting spells as well.  Every 20 minutes for about 4-5 hours and then sleep and completely fine, never a fever.  My daughter was older (5 years).  It was getting to be often enough, 4-5 times a month, that I was going to mention it to our pediatrician at her 6 year old well child.  We never made it to the well child check up.  I self-dx on symptoms alone and then took her to our pedi who dx'd her with a bg of 590.

I agree that I would check a 1 hour, 2 hour blood finger stick after eating really carby.  OR even at the beginning of one of the vomitting spells.  I SWEAR that Kristen was puking due to ketones and high blood sugars.  After starting insulin we did not have any more weird vomitting episodes.

We do have type 1 and thyroid in my family so we knew the symptoms.

<hug>
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Diagnosis or not, you are worried and you are welcome here. <hug>

The only thing I can add is Ketostix to test her diaper for ketones.  Maybe someone has done it this way can pipe in for the 'how to' part of it.

Listen to your mommy instinct, something just doesn't seem right to me.

<hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • Diagnosis or not, you are worried and you are welcome here. <hug>

The only thing I can add is Ketostix to test her diaper for ketones.  Maybe someone has done it this way can pipe in for the 'how to' part of it.

Listen to your mommy instinct, something just doesn't seem right to me.

<hug>

Cotton ball in the diaper to check urine    <t-up>

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • [quote author=andrea link=topic=34262.msg500164#msg500164 date=1367272163

[/quote]

Our endo told us to put cotton balls in the diaper to catch urine and then you can squeeze it onto the stick.

I say no matter what- TRUST YOUR INSTINCT. If it were me personally I would not wait and see I would take her in and demand testing. If the ped wouldn't do it then go to a different one or a local children's hospital- but that is me. 

You are definitely welcome here diagnosis or not!
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline Apl1

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you all so much. I just spoke to the doctor, or rather, the NP.  I'm pretty sure everyone in the pediatrician's office now thinks I'm a complete nut job.  She acknowledged that DD has had more than her fair share of illnesses over the last six months but because she always recovers from her illnesses doesn't think there's anything to worry about....whatever.

I tried to very diplomatically point out that randomly vomiting, with no other symptoms, while sitting in the car or at dinner or while playing, then going back to acting like she's fine, isn't normal.  She felt otherwise.  Anyway, I was feeling pretty deflated as a mother but came on here to see if I had any responses yet, and sat here and cried.  I really appreciate all your replies so much.  I hope my little girl doesn't have this, but something in my mommy instincts tells me she probably does, and I'm just going to have to be her biggest fighter.  I'm headed out to buy some Ketostix...

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • I really hope it isn't too.  But until you know for sure, either way, you've found the best little place on the net for support. <hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:45:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • It wouldn't hurt, if you have the cash, to pick up a meter that comes with 10 strips.  That way you can check blood if you feel comfortable doing that.  Not sure I would have felt comfortable if I had not grown up with my mom being a type 1.

If you get the keto-dia sticks they will also show if she has sugar in her urine, which is another tell tale sign.

I really hope it isn't too.  But until you know for sure, either way, you've found the best little place on the net for support. <hug>

This times a thousand.
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • I echo Andrea- I will pray with everything in me that it isn't D, but if it is we will all be here for you.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug> <hug>

With one that little you can poke a toe if you get a meter and strips.  Might be easier to do than a finger.

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • Nothing to add, I just echo what has already been said.  <hug>
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline Momme3

• Level 4
    « Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> I also just want to echo everything that was said and this is a good place to voice frustrations of all natures and you will get good support and understanding from all here.   <hug> Just a thought and curious if anyone has mentioned testing her for reflux or food allergies kinda sound like it may be a possibility since the vomiting is random and not linked to a illness? Do think its a good idea to do a at home glucose challenge, giving her something really carby and checking her at 1, 2, and 3 hr times with a glucometer.  <hug>
    Amy-
    School Nurse BSN and MOM to Jerrad 20 nond, Madison 13 nond, and
    Joshua 7 dxd 1/8/11 Omnipod and Dexcom G4

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you all so much. I just spoke to the doctor, or rather, the NP.  I'm pretty sure everyone in the pediatrician's office now thinks I'm a complete nut job.  She acknowledged that DD has had more than her fair share of illnesses over the last six months but because she always recovers from her illnesses doesn't think there's anything to worry about....whatever.

I tried to very diplomatically point out that randomly vomiting, with no other symptoms, while sitting in the car or at dinner or while playing, then going back to acting like she's fine, isn't normal.  She felt otherwise.  Anyway, I was feeling pretty deflated as a mother but came on here to see if I had any responses yet, and sat here and cried.  I really appreciate all your replies so much.  I hope my little girl doesn't have this, but something in my mommy instincts tells me she probably does, and I'm just going to have to be her biggest fighter.  I'm headed out to buy some Ketostix...

My mom suggested diabetes after Chris was peeing through diapers every night, drinking 20 oz of milk and 5 regular size bottles of water a day.  He was young too,so te weight loss was not noticeable to me. My sister had seen him after a period of time and thought his face looked thinner, but nothing major.   Our ped thought Chris was too young to get diabetes and didn't want to test.  I had to bring him in for an ear infection recheck and insisted they test for diabetes.  To their surprise, he had a high blood sugar and sent me to the ER.   So if your mommy instinct insists on testing, the worst that could happen is that the results are negative, the best that could happen is that you find out early on.  Good luck.
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything