• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Childcare/Preschool  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Jennifersachs

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Childcare/Preschool
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Emily was in preschool and childcare until her Diagnosis in April.  Our center told me that their insurance would not cover having Emily in the school it was to big of a liability at this stage in her diagnosis.  I was so hurt by the words, but I thought no big deal I would not want her anywhere they were not comfortable caring for her.  Since then I have been told her gymnatics summer camp will not be able to check blood sugars and give insulin if needed.  At this time we can not find a child care center that will take our Daughter.  For now I have a very good friend that is keeping her on the two weekdays I am at work, but what will I do in the future?  Once she is school aged we will be fine, but I have a little over a year until that happens.  We are in Texas, does anyone have any advise or help? 

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    Re: Childcare/Preschool
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:13:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Maybe  your local JDRF will have some suggestions???

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • Is the child care private?  What about the summer camp?  I guess the better question is who owns/runs it?

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Jennifersachs

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • Some are corporate owned and some are privately owned.  I have had equal responses from both.  From what I understand once she is in public school she is to have equal rights as all other students, or any program that receives government funding.

Offline sarahconnormom

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
  • Publish
  • Where are you at in Texas?  We are also in Texas, about 1 1/2 hours North of Houston.

I'm no help on daycare.  My son was in 1st grade when he was dx so we have only dealt with public school.
    Melinda (from Texas)- Mom to:

Sarah (7-24-96)- US Army soldier currently stationed at Fort Sam Houston

Connor (6-4-01)- Diagnosed Type 1 Dec. 2007  MM 4/2008-6/2015, T-Slim 6/2015

[ IMG ][/img ]

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • I would also try your endo to see if they knw of any daycares that have dealt with kids with diabetes.  My endo suggested a daycare her kids went to, and they have had multiple kids with diabetes.  The only issue I can see then is whether or not they can give her shots if you are on MDI.   In CT they are not allowed to give shots.  My son is on the pump and they can use to to administer insulin.

Unfortunately, those that are not familiar with it might be scared, you just have to find the right fit of a group that's really interested in learning and caring. Mine keeps a daily food/insulin log and we have updated our care/emergency action plan multiple times since we started based on how his needs change. 

Good luck.
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline Jennifersachs

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • We are in Houston.  We have an appointment at Texas Childrens this week so I will ask when we are there.  Thank you for the suggestions. 

Offline sarahconnormom

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • We are in Houston.  We have an appointment at Texas Childrens this week so I will ask when we are there.  Thank you for the suggestions.

We go to Texas Children's also.  We see Dr. Balasz and we love her.  Our next appointment is June 10.
    Melinda (from Texas)- Mom to:

Sarah (7-24-96)- US Army soldier currently stationed at Fort Sam Houston

Connor (6-4-01)- Diagnosed Type 1 Dec. 2007  MM 4/2008-6/2015, T-Slim 6/2015

[ IMG ][/img ]

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our local ADA comes and trains the daycare staff. I would try contacting them!
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 01:01:32 AM »
  • Publish
  •  :welcome:

I'm in Houston too.  Which part?  We homeschool, but I have friends with kids in programs who will deal with it.  It can be a search!
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline apeanes

• Level 3
    « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 07:36:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • We ran into the same problem when my son was dx'd, he was dx in April, school was out the end of May and there were only 2 daycares that were state certified to give shots, both about an hour drive each way out of the way from work. We went to the private school he was at and found a rising senior that was going into public health as a major in college and her mom was a nurse at the local children's hospital.  We trained her (she was reccomended by multiple teachers at the school, and we ok'd it with her and her family before she started that they were all comfortable with everything)  We also had the children's hospital do training with her.  She has now kept both my kids every summer (she will be a junior in college next year, and starts Monday back with us)  Maybe there is a teenager with T1 that can come to your house for the summer.. as for the school year, our private school daycare was very leary with it, but the more time they spent with him, the more comfortable they were...  good luck, I wish we could just create a little T1 commune where we could all care for each others' kids
    Anna, mom to
    Sean, 12 dx 4/2010
    Phil, 5

The life of man is like a game with dice; if you donít get the throw you want, you must show your skill in making the best of the throw you get. - Terence

Humor prevents one from becoming a tragic figure even though he / she is involved in tragic events. - E. T. Eberhart

Offline kafroche

• Level 4
    « Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • Same thing happened to us. Liam was 2 at dx. We were never able to find him a preschool or childcare since they were private. The state run child care centers that were required by law to take him, well, they were not places that I wanted to leave him. So I wound up leaving my job and staying home. He never went to preschool. I sent him to kindergarten at 4(almost 5), when he first became able by birthdate. I figured if he needed to he could be held back a year in K.

It is heartbreaking and really a hard pill to swallow.
    Karen...Liam 8 DX 3/2008 & Katie,11 non-d

Offline vinedyta

• Level 3
    • You flushed what?
    « Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • Cenzo was 4 at dx and we just now found a babysitter so we can go out. She is type 1 too. For preschool the only place that would take him was a Catholic preschool attached to a Catholic elementary school - they had medical personnel on staff. He is now in the elementary of that same school.

<hug> I pray you find your way!
    Edy

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • We were so lucky to find the preschool that we did and her teacher is amazing- so amazing she is staying there for her kindergarten year. However we have not found a babysitter yet- I tried finding a T1 teenager- there just aren't any that anyone knows about near me  >:( 

Hope you find a great place for your little one.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm in Texas as well.  I live about 30 miles south east of Dallas.  We were so lucky and the daycare Rylee attended when dx had no problem learning and helping her with her insulin, etc.  They were a private owned business but she was 7 at the time so she could help quite a bit.  My daughter has attended numerous private camps since dx so please don't think that Emily will not ever be able to be normal again and attend camps, etc.  My Rylee is leaving today for camp.   

Good luck finding something.   <hug> <hug> <hug>
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.