• Online Today: 57
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Food and more  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Jennifersachs

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Food and more
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »
  • Publish
  • I see this has been talked about before, but I have some questions.  Emily is 4 years old and diagnosed in April 2013.  Right after diagnosis she was eating great, and now ever meal is over an hour at the table, refusing to eat, dropping food on the floor, spilling milk and just playing around.  I am loosing my mind I can't take it much longer.  Emily is honeymooning and she is on 1.5 lantus & .5 Humalog at breakfast, .5 humalog at lunch, and .5 Lantus and Humalog at dinner.  So very low doses. The Dr. doesn't want to do any lower.  So, I guess my question is... Is a carb a carb?  I have been making her eat well rounded meals with meat, bead, veggies and fruit.  Do certain foods help them last longer?  Am I a bad parent if I just give up and settle for something less healthy?  I said it was my goal to teach her how to eat right and balanced meals so she would be healthier and have more options.  If she were not diabetic I would not be asking because I require that the kids eat what I put on the plate.  Sigh.... meal time is terrible and at least 3 lost hours of our day.  My daughter used to be so well behaved and now I am not sure it is even the same kid.  She is not bad, but she is not the same.  Help! Please!

Jennifer

Breakfast  45 carbs

Lunch 45 carbs

Snack 15 carbs

Dinner 45-60 carbs

Bedtime Snack  7.5 carbs

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    Re: Food and more
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • Kaelyn was diagnosed at age 2 1/2....we went through the SAME thing.  Every meal was excruciating...I had to bribe and set timers and basically stand on my head in order to get her to eat....until I decided to not make it a fight....I didn;t want my need for her to eat to set up bad habits/feelings around food. Happy to report she grew out of this phase.

It would be really great if you could get on a carb ratio instead of a set amount of carbs- that way she can eat what she wants and you are not force feeding her. It would make things a lot less stressful.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:54:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • Could it possibly be too much food?  Mine wasn't this little, but right after dx and the insulin was flowing through her she ate like crazy and then it stopped.  All of a sudden she was always "full for food" and we usually gave her juice to make up the carbs on her fixed carb plan.  It was a nightmare.

By what I've read, you dose very little insulin for the amount of carbs eaten... maybe your team can let you know up to what point you don't have to give insulin for carbs, so you can give smaller portions.  Or you can do like we did and use juice meals to help make up a bulk of the carbs.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • That seems like a lot of carbs for a 4 year old.  Since her dose is so small for that many carbs I agree to try juice for some of the carbs.  As her insulin needs increase it would be easier to have an insulin-to-carb ratio so you can dose for what she eats rather than feed the insulin.  Good luck!
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Even if you are using lantus I can see you have a pre scheduled carbs p/ meal.

First thing I would do is talk to your dr and ask for a carb scale. We used little amount of Novolog and switch to diluted Humalog to make it more easy. You administer insulin for what she is eating. You don't need to force her to eat.

She was recently dx and getting adapted to this new life is not easy for you or for her. We try to eat healthy as much as you can but they are kids and the junk can't be over rated.

Ice cream, yogurt will help her keep bs more stables. Other meals w/ protein / fat will help as well.

We always post bolus. This mean my son will eat and then I will bolus based on what he eats. Reduce quantities and little by little increment them as she will eventually will be the same child.

<hug> <hug> <hug>

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • That was too much food for my daughter at diagnosis when she was 6.5  No WAY she would have eaten that much at 4.  I would say go with what she'll eat and work really hard to make food not a fight.  Our kids have enough baggage around food without adding to it.

That said- I never would do the "eat what's on your plate" thing because I want very much for my kids to learn their own bodies and the cues they get from them regarding hunger and not try to meet an outside gauge. 
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline MelindaC

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 10:29:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • I agree it does seem like a lot of food. My daughter was 3.5 when she was diagnosed and would never have been able to eat that much at one sitting. We left the hospital with carb ratios so we never had to make her eat something. Have you talked to your team about carb ratios? I know you guys are still early in this, but at that age when they are grazers it is very helpful.

Mom to :
    Quentin 14 Non D
    Bethany 12 Non D
    Nathan   9 Non D
    Makenna 7 dx 3/22/11 Pumping Medtronic

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.