• Online Today: 47
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Testing at night  (Read 3334 times)

Offline LauraH

• Level 3
  • It is what it is, but it will be what you make it
Testing at night
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have to say I'm a little afraid to ask this, but is there any other parent out there who doesn't test their child in the middle of the night?

When my son was diagnosed our endo said it wasn't necessary, unless there was something weird going on. Then I started to hear that parents test at night. I was hearing opposite things from the doctors and parents. It wa almost as if the endo & nurses thought I was nuts for even asking. They were like "Where are you finding these people?!"
    Now we have switched clinics and go to Yale which has been rated the #1 pediatric T1 hospital in the country. They too say its unnessary. In the 32 years of their existence there has never been a case of "dead in bed".
    I take my doctors word and don't test at night unless something weird
    Is going on (my son was dx almost 3
    Yrs ago). I feel fine about that until I see that everyone tests at night. Could I be the only parent who doesn't?
    Laura - mommy to Caleb (loves octopus, crabs, ducks and Michael Jackson. dx 9/25/10) and Levi (loves food, steering wheels and throwing things in the toilet. non-d)

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    Re: Testing at night
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our original practice suggested testing once in the middle of the night about every 10 days- especially if there was something unusual (extra activity, etc)  That seems like good advice to me.  When we were mdi we had instructions to only correct at meals.  Our main overnight problem is HIGHS.  Any weirdness at dinner spikes my daughter crazy high for hours.  So at that point in our D lives even when we saw something off (a high) we weren't going to act on it.  Now I wouldn't be comfortable with her being high and not correcting.  And we do see lows at night- especially if we need to tweak basal rates or have been overly aggressive in correcting overnight (see above  lol)

So, overly simplified, I would not be okay not testing at night ever.  I would be okay doing a spot check now and then and if those looked good not testing overnight.

All of that said- we have a dexcom now and it's magic for overnight (on those rare nights that we don't have a bunch of other stuff going on  lol)

Another thought- we never go 6+ hours during the day without testing (or at least checking dex and knowing it's on) so there is that factor overnight as well.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • We have a dexcom and it has eliminated overnight pokes for us. Well unless it is alarming.  We will look at it before we go to bed and Allen looks when he gets up.  The read will determine if a poke is needed. 

Before dexcom, we poked at 11pm and 3:30am (when Allen awakens)

No worries about being bashed. Just like all parenting decisions, this is an individual choice.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • We also have Dex and I trust it to wake me if he goes low, but before that I would always check at least once- usually I would stay up and check at 11 and then get up at 2 or 3am. Our endo is at the DRI and she told us to check at least  once a night in the first few weeks when we were making lots of adjustments and then she said we could go to every other night- just to make sure we had an idea what was going on at night. I continued to check every night. Logically, i knew he was very probably fine on most nights after very ordinary days, but i just couldn't do it. It is an individual choice. These two articles are very interesting in the subject:

http://diabetesdad.org/2012/09/25/my-child-when-low-will-wake-up-right-um-not-neccessarily/

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/10/overnight-glucose-testing-who-does-it-and-why.html

• Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Tyler, 16yrs, T1dx 4/21/12
    Dexcom G4 11/1/12; Omnipod 2/1/13
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • I agree that it is a very individual choice. That being said we check every night. We did not check on MDI, but once we started pumping we had to check at first and then we were seeing a lot of crazy numbers.

In our case Kaelyn has never had a clear cut pattern at night....she runs high, then low then steady- nothing stays the same. We also have a dex. We still do a check at around 2am then the rest of the time let dex's alarms wake us.

I think if you have seen a really clear cut pattern and YOU are comfortable with not testing, then that's all that matters.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline wildflower142

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • no cgm here, and Ashleigh is hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic unaware at night. So i do check her every 3 hours. Our endocrinologist also said we didn't need to check unless she was sick or overly active that day. But i found i would just lay awake worrying about her, and couldn't sleep. So for me checking is a reassuring thing.
    Chris mom to 4 girls
    Ashleigh (17) T1D 3/23/10
    MDI w/Lantus & Novolog
    Pumped Animas & Tslim: Dec 2010-July 2015
    A1C 6.2%

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • We check both girls at 11 pm and 2 am, both when on MDI and now that we're pumping. There's no rhyme or reason to either of their night patterns. We see random drops and highs.  And they usually do not wake up when low at night.

We're looking into getting a Dex one of these days, depending on our OOP costs.  We shall see if that makes me check less. lol

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline Lukesmama

• Level 4
    • Hangin' in
    « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:49:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • I agree it is an individual thing.  We are in the horrifying teenage years and I still check my son every night, usually twice.  He is MDI by choice, but he is also a teenager.  I have found too many HI's and too many lows (38 once) in the middle of the night to not test. It is just conditioned in me. I don't even set an alarm anymore, I just wake up and do it.
    Amy***Mom to Alex-21, Kayla-21, Austin-19, Luke-18 MDI (DX 09-13-09) & Kelsea-16

"Let go or be dragged."

[img]http://www.type1parents.org/SimpleTickers/img.php?pa=6

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • We don't check overnight unless something weird is going on or we need to make basal adjustments.  It is an individual choice and you need to do what you feel is right for your child.
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • Cole is MDI and  we check occasionally at night and whenever things are off or if I happen to wake up. 

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Our Endo also told us not to ck @ night. But I found it weird that the nurses ck him ~ 2 - 3 am every night. I joined a forum (back in 2005) and realized that every single parent there ck their kids in the middle of the night. I started doing it.

There are a lot of risk you can encounter during the night. BS can go low. The child can have seizures, and this could lead to dead or ER trip. What do you get from that? Maybe a child that is scare to sleep bc of what happened, maybe dealing w/ some other problems bc of the seizure, etc. Bs can go high. At a long term, if bs is keep higher than normal could damaged the child body. This could lead to ketones and eventually, if not taking on time, to DKA. For the people how uses the pump, which is the way to get insulin, if you have high bs could be a problem w/ the infusion set. If that is the case, the child will not received insulin for several hrs and this could ended w/ DKA in the hospital.

So, why to ck at night? Well to avoid those things as much as you can. In almost 8 years I have heard of several dead during the night. Not only w/ kids but adults as well. The doctors don't care. However, while you are at the hospital, to avoid everything I mentioned above and a sue from the family, they will put a note on your chart indicating a middle of the night ck.

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline Ems Mom

• Level 3
    « Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • We only test at night if Emily has had weird numbers during the day or a lot of activity.  We used to check at midnight and 3am and her numbers stayed pretty good.  She wakes up when she is high or low and that doesn't happen often.  I am not sure how many that test during the night work but when I was doing the testing and then had to go to work I was sleep deprived.  During the summer she is up so late 1am or later and I am up at 6 I test before I leave for work.
    Karyn from Saginaw mom to Emily age 16 dx 2/22/06 was pumping with MM since 12/8/06, now pumping with the Omni POD, Brandon non d age 15 and Kara non d age 19

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Seth is MDI. We checked every night at first. Now we check if something is off during the day or at bedtime, or if I happen to wake up. We all do the best we can. Whatever works for you and your child, that's what you do. If Seth were younger, I might check more, but who knows?
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Is Lexi's endo the only one who wants us testing every night, unless she's wearing her dexcom? He said that even of she begins waking up in the middle of the night when she's low, he'd still like us to check. His reasoning? It's better to be safe than sorry and parents sleep better when they can be sure that their children are at a good number instead of tossing and turning out of worry.
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our Endo said it wasn't necessary, years ago, not sure if her stance has changed. But she doesn't pick this battle with us

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything