• Online Today: 57
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Testing at night  (Read 3381 times)

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
Re: Testing at night
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our Endo said it wasn't necessary, years ago, not sure if her stance has changed. But she doesn't pick this battle with us

Our Endo told us we didn't have to, I told her we were going to continue and she hasn't fought me.....Our CDE (who is T1 herself) has praised us for continuing to test at night and is happy we do.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Is Lexi's endo the only one who wants us testing every night, unless she's wearing her dexcom? He said that even of she begins waking up in the middle of the night when she's low, he'd still like us to check. His reasoning? It's better to be safe than sorry and parents sleep better when they can be sure that their children are at a good number instead of tossing and turning out of worry.

Ours leaves it up to us. Our old practice said to check once every week or so overnight.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • My son is 18 and very active, so this may not apply to your situation.

We have a dexcom.  Before that we had a Medtronic cgm.  Before that we had gut instinct.  I much prefer the dexcom.   :)

One thing the cgms have taught us is that no two nights may be the same.  All things in the universe may be the same and yet the bg may be different.  We can in no way predict a high or low with just our brains and gut reactions.  If we have a sensor inserted (almost always) we rely on it to alarm and react accordingly.  If not, I am always up testing at least once (most often twice).  We have caught major highs and major lows, neither of which I wish to miss.  Two nights ago I was up almost every 15 minutes between the hours of 2:20 and 4:30am giving juice and/or glucose tabs.  No reason I should have thought this might happen. 

I personally would never go more than 3-4 hours at a time without knowing (or having a cgm alert) where the bg is.  In my mind, the steaks are just too high.  I don't care how many "professionals" tell me it's not necessary.  He is my child.  It's not worth the risk to me.

That being said, I don't judge you if you choose not to test at night.  It's what I'm comfortable with, it's what I'm, willing to give up to gain.  It has nothing to do with your choices, your life, your comfort level, at this point in your/your child's life.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • Is Lexi's endo the only one who wants us testing every night, unless she's wearing her dexcom? He said that even of she begins waking up in the middle of the night when she's low, he'd still like us to check. His reasoning? It's better to be safe than sorry and parents sleep better when they can be sure that their children are at a good number instead of tossing and turning out of worry.

Our endo and CDE both have said that we won't need to test in the night one day. Yeah right. lol About a year in we're still testing and catching tons.

They haven't said anymore about testing at night other then how they are amazed when they look at the scatter plot report that both the girls 2 am test are always exactly at the same time and three minutes apart. Totally cracks them up that the times never vary.  We have our system and aim to be back in bed 6 minutes after the alarm goes off. Until the lows and highs mess the system up.

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline Nyssas_mom

• Level 3
    « Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our Endo originally told us to NOT check at night...but I kept telling them about Dead In The Bed and that I was going to test anyway...they eventually stopped talking abut it. I check at night, every night, at midnight, and 2am...more if necessary. My hubby does the weekend checks so I can get some uninterrupted sleep.
    Parth, mom to 2 daughters, Valkyrie (non-d) age 17 and Nyssa (age 11) dx 11/22/05...pumping w/ Animas 2020 since January 14, 2008. Upgraded to Animas Ping, October 25, 2010.  Started Dexcom G4 on September 6, 2014. Married to {He has a name}  Kenneth since 1995. Vineland, New Jersey

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • I check regularly at night, but I don't usually set the alarm. If I want to wake up I drink a cup of coffee and it usually wakes me up to pee. Or if I need a 2 hour and 2 hour I do set my alarm.
    He has been (knock on wood) waking for lows lately, but I still check regularly.

On shots I never checked in the night.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline Mom2MadyMoo

• Level 3
    • I love my T1P family!
    « Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was not checking mid night at all until recently due to us switching to the pod. It's been about 2 weeks. Still checking at 12am and 3am per doctor's request. She wanted us to just do this for one week but I am waking anyway now and since Madison sleeps through it I do it for peace of mind. However, I will be dropping the night checks once we get the clear from endo and will check her before I sleep (around 11pm) and only check again if lower than I am comfortable with.

Karen    ~ North Carolina
    Scott     ~ Husband
    Madison ~ T1 ~ Born March 2002 ~  Dx December 4, 2012 at age 10
    Omnipod w/ Novolog since July 2013
    Photo: A happy & healthy Madison, age 12

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything