• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Sick days for newly diagnosed toddler  (Read 1729 times)

Offline camodiva3

• Level 2
  • I love my T1 Diabetic Princess!
Sick days for newly diagnosed toddler
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just curious as to how some of you cope with sick days??? My anxiety level goes up on sick days with my daughter. She is 2 and was dx in September 2012 so we are coming up on the 1 year and fairly new to all of this. She has only had 2 illnesses since dx but they have been so frustrating for us as far as, sugar being elevated and as you know if a two year old doesn't want to eat she won't!  So then its frustrating to figure her doses. Just need a little insight... Thanks!
    Brit
    Mom of Daisy
    Dx 9/10/12

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    Re: Sick days for newly diagnosed toddler
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • Are you pumping or MDI?  Thankfully we didn't deal much with sick days while MDI, pumping makes it much easier.  If she's running low we set reduced temp basals.  I have to push fluids often because if she doesn't feel well she's not too cooperative...   :-\   a LOT of checking (bg and ketones) and rest and fluids of whatever sort I can get in her.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline camodiva3

• Level 2
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:41:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • We are MDI. Dr.  Said probably will be pumping by the time she goes to school. Ready for that. We have a very hard headed 2 year old so getting even fluids down when sick is a chore. I check her temp, sugar and ketones every hour on sick days, basically drive myself insane! I am so thankful for this website, I always feel much better and feel understood after posting and reading from other T1P.
    Brit
    Mom of Daisy
    Dx 9/10/12

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • Honestly with a toddler I would probably be pushing for a pump sooner rather than later.  Sounds like you have all the pieces in place, it just can be rough, especially with a little one.

Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline camodiva3

• Level 2
    « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:47:50 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you! We go to endo next month so maybe we can talk pumps then.
    Brit
    Mom of Daisy
    Dx 9/10/12

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:27:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • I can't help with a toddler, mine was 6 at dx

But the probably by the time school...um, no, if you feel that is how you want to progress next in treatment then that's what you need to get. It's about patient best interest and if you need to, I can round up a few who were in your shoes to help you out with that <hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • My son was dx when he was 2. As I remember, we didn't deal w/ so many illness but I remember those times w/ the flu (bs very, very, very high all the time - even w/ the pump) and stomach virus (bs very low even ~ 1 week after the virus was gone).

We have always treat illness as it comes. With T1D, you can expect either a high or a low while having the same virus twice. There is no rules w/ this condition. So, I would say to deal w/ whatever comes as it comes. Ck bs very frequently, push fluids, check ketones w/ a blood ketone meter, and of course, medication come first no matter how high or low they will send the bs. We are always here, so do not hesitate in posting if you need help right away. Most of us are in FB as well. We are not drs but we have BTDT already. And when in doubt, take her to the ER. Better safe than sorry.

BTW, having a pump is a good tool to deal or try to control D when kids are sick. You can play w/ the insulin.

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline kafroche

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • Liam was dx at 2 as well. Popcicles are your best friend.  Even when he didn't want to eat or drink he is always up for a popcicle. We still have a stash at all times in the freezer.  Also, I didn't care what he ate.  If I needed to get insulin in him for ketones and he only would eat ice cream....so be it. For the sick day lows, if vomiting we always get zofran from the doc. It helps the nausea so that we could try and get him to eat.  Full sugar jello works well for those times. 

No matter what....pump or MDI....You'll still need your bag of tricks  :). Sometimes everything you do and try doesn't work. Don't ever feel like the ER is a failure. We all have been there done that. Sometimes it is the best place for them to get the fluids and treatment that they need.

Karen...Liam 8 DX 3/2008 & Katie,11 non-d

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
  • Publish
  •  I think zofran is almost as necessary as glucagon for t1ds

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Fluids was always the big problem for me.  Chris is a good eater and always has been, regardless of how he has felt.  Fluids on the other hand, it didn't seem to matter what I said or asked. If he didn't want to drink, he didn't. We were always fortunate to get ketones down, but Chris is only three, so using logic doesn't really work.  I agree that Popsicles are great if other fluids are passed on.  Chris also really liked the g2 Gatorade. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.