• Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Site changes  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
Site changes
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Chris has been getting progressively worse with site changes.   He has been fighting them for 20 or more minutes.  Tonight was the worst, taking almost an hour to get him to lay down.  Had to turn off the tv and the lights and telling him to go to sleep s finally what did it.  I'm getting tired and worn down battling him on this and many other things.  Any hints or tips on making site changes easier?  I almost feel like we're back to where we were a year ago when we switched to the pump. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    Re: Site changes
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've read some families with t1 toddlers just change it when they're asleep.  Might that work?
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • I actually considered that tonight.   Will have to think about it more.   
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm sending a PM to MommyAngela about this.  She has dealt with 2 toddlers on pumps.  I'm sure she will be here soon to offer some good ideas to try. 
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Michelle!  I rethought about the sleeping site changes.  Sounds good, but will be some effort for me.  I often fall asleep before Chris! :o
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline Nyssas_mom

• Level 3
    « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • I used to know someone that would tell her daughter it was site change time and the daughter would get an ice pack and they would decide where the site was going to go. The girl would put the ice pack on the chosen location and keep it there for about 10 minutes...they set a timer. When the timer went off, she knew it was time for a site change and the location was numb. This worked for them.
    Parth, mom to 2 daughters, Valkyrie (non-d) age 17 and Nyssa (age 11) dx 11/22/05...pumping w/ Animas 2020 since January 14, 2008. Upgraded to Animas Ping, October 25, 2010.  Started Dexcom G4 on September 6, 2014. Married to {He has a name}  Kenneth since 1995. Vineland, New Jersey

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sorry it took me a while to make it here, but I'll share what I can. Both of our boys have gone through stages of rebelling through site changes. With each of them, it took a slightly different combo of things to work.

With Luke, even at a young age, he could be reasoned with slightly more. We reminded him that no pump meant more shots. When he got to the point of fussing too much, we just matter-of-factly called him on his bluff. We said "Ok, no more pump then." We put it aside, went to the closet, pulled out a syringe, and started filling it with insulin. Then we told him that we were going to do 7-9 shots per day (that was what he was at pre-pump) starting right then. He chose the pump.

As for making him comfortable, we had a specific stuffed animal that he held, had him stand pigeon-toed (it's almost impossible to tense your butt when your toes are pointed at each other), and when there was a 2nd person available, he would hug them while the site went in. If not, Big Brown Bear did a good job of taking the ouches away.

With Isaiah (who is now 5), he still fusses almost every site change. We also have to remind him often that it is either pump or shots. He prefers to lay down for his site changes, and not hold anything or hug anyone. His own choice. We generally sing a song and try to pop it in on a different part of the song every time. At least half the time, he doesn't even know it has gone in, because we sing loud and silly.

One last thing: I'm not a mom who is willing to wait until the kid has psyched himself up for the site. We do it when it needs to be done. I try to separate medical procedures from feelings, because medicine is what keeps you alive and hugs are what keep you happy and feeling safe. So we do what needs to be done, then we comfort after.

That means in our house, if we have to hold down a wiggly (even screaming) child to get in a site or get a blood draw at the doctor's office, well, that's what we do. I have MANY times put on a smiling, confident face for my child, done what needed to be done, and then gone to cry in my room.

I know that opinion isn't shared by everyone, so you are welcome to take or leave this advice. I can only share what we have done, and how we keep our sanity. :)
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • Isaiah is 5...how did that happen?!

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Isaiah is 5...how did that happen?!

I thought the same thing.
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • One last thing: I'm not a mom who is willing to wait until the kid has psyched himself up for the site. We do it when it needs to be done. I try to separate medical procedures from feelings, because medicine is what keeps you alive and hugs are what keep you happy and feeling safe. So we do what needs to be done, then we comfort after.

That means in our house, if we have to hold down a wiggly (even screaming) child to get in a site or get a blood draw at the doctor's office, well, that's what we do. I have MANY times put on a smiling, confident face for my child, done what needed to be done, and then gone to cry in my room.

I do this as often as possible.  Although as she gets older and closer to my height it is getting more difficult to carry her flailing body down the hall to get her flu shot.   :o
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • That means in our house, if we have to hold down a wiggly (even screaming) child to get in a site or get a blood draw at the doctor's office, well, that's what we do. I have MANY times put on a smiling, confident face for my child, done what needed to be done, and then gone to cry in my room.

I know that opinion isn't shared by everyone, so you are welcome to take or leave this advice. I can only share what we have done, and how we keep our sanity. :)

I am right there with you on this. We have been known to hold Kaelyn down in the past to do site changes and Dex for the first time. It gets done when it needs to be done. It's a non-negotiable here (although sometimes I do say if we can get through this with you being a brave girl you can have an ice cream (bad mom lol) ).  I always tell her this is what we have to do to keep you healthy and I am sorry but it's being done.

All while I am crying on the inside.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Angela.  Chris also likes to lay down for site changes and honestly I find it easier to insert from a precision standpoint.  While I'm sure many may frown upon it due to Chris age, I actually still allow him to have a bottle at night because its what gives him comfort during the site change.  He lays on my bed, drinks his bottle and watches tv. 

He seems to be rebelling on many fronts, this is one of them.  I've tried showing him the glucagon needle and saying we would need to use that.  Explaining he would have to go to the hospital and have a needle in his arm.  And tried to explain that it keeps him healthy.  And yet the fights are getting longer and longer.  We've tried holding him down, but Eric doesn't so the best job holding him down in a helpful way. And Chris always manages to tense up when we try the hold him down method. 

I am with you on doing things like shots because they need to be done.  I felt very bad holding Chris down for allergy testing after he was diagnosed with asthma. But I went because I knew I could handle it better emotionally in the moment.  Same with vaccines - which are the worst since they do so many at one time!   

I always tell Chris I don't like doing it and I know he doesn't like it, but that it has to be done.  I'm almost wondering if it could partially be because he's becoming more aware of things now.  He recently asked why Adam doesn't have site changes and whether or not I have diabetes.  I'm hoping its a phase that will pass quickly.  But maybe I will try the syringe thing and see if that has any effect.   Of see if he wants to try it standing up and hugging daddy.  Those are both good ideas. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • That means in our house, if we have to hold down a wiggly (even screaming) child to get in a site or get a blood draw at the doctor's office, well, that's what we do. I have MANY times put on a smiling, confident face for my child, done what needed to be done, and then gone to cry in my room.

I am right there with you on this. We have been known to hold Kaelyn down in the past to do site changes and Dex for the first time. It gets done when it needs to be done. It's a non-negotiable here (although sometimes I do say if we can get through this with you being a brave girl you can have an ice cream (bad mom lol) ).  I always tell her this is what we have to do to keep you healthy and I am sorry but it's being done.

All while I am crying on the inside.

I cried after the last site change.  That one took a lot out of me. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Would it help him for us to get togethermsometime soon, so he could see Campbell with his pump site and Dexcom sensor?  Maybe we could even time it for a site change?
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oh Stephanie, not a bad mom at all... I am not above bribes.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything