• Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: high cholestorol foods to avoid  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
high cholestorol foods to avoid
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • what are they?  ???:

Most recent blood work shows Grant's cholesterol slightly elevated.  Results weren't in at the time of our appointment so they emailed results.  They said we should watch intake of high cholesterol foods and we would talk more about it at his next appointment.

I should know about this, but I don't since none of us have had to watch this.  I know oatmeal is supposed to help lower cholesterol.  What should we be avoiding and eating more of?
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    Re: high cholestorol foods to avoid
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • Eat Cheerios  O0

I hate he has one more thing to think about.  Also, I love the new pic!!!
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Melanie.  Part of his senior picture proofs that I just got.  Oh, boy am I gonna spend a lot of money!  ;D
    Michelle

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have and still do deal with this with Tyler. Traditional wisdom has been that it is saturated and transfat that you need to be concerned with. Cholesterol in food is not an issue. A couple eggs a day are not really an issue, although I switched to Egg Beaters just for the saturated fat component and just because.

The biggest culprits are transfats- found in processed carbs, fast foods, etc and then saturated fat found in animal fats like dairy and meat. However, there is now research indicating that all saturated fat is not really created equally and its not really all bad- that refined carbs are really more the enemy for cholesterol and heart disease. For Tyler, I cut out real bacon- switched to Turkey bacon, switched back to nonfat milk as I had put him whole milk after diagnosis to put weight back on him, and snuck in low fat cheese when I could and really stuck with lean cuts of beef for him.

They also say increasing good fats helps- use more olive oil. Have him eat some walnuts (they are the best) and/ or almonds on a regular basis. Apples and red grapes can help lower cholesterol too.  Maybe look for transfat in some of his snack bars, etc. maybe they are hidden in there?  They are the partially hydrogenated oils.  Exercise helps, but its not like he could possibly do more of that!!

Unfortunately, sometimes genes can trump everything in this area too. We lowered Tyler's quite a but with just the minor changed above so that her really didnt feel it. Its still borderline, but not at the point our Endo wants us to do anything more drastic.
    • Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Tyler, 16yrs, T1dx 4/21/12
    Dexcom G4 11/1/12; Omnipod 2/1/13
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was thinking oatmeal and Cheerios too.  ;D

Love the new pic! <t-up>
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • Here is that an article that talks about saturated fats getting a bad rap. Its funny because my parents had just came back from their cardiologist telling me the same thing the week before. They recently went on a low carb, Atkins style diet and lost weight and significantly lowered their cholesterol.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/truth-saturated-fats-190100033.html
    • Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for all the info Jamie.  I knew Tyler dealt with this and hoped you would see the tread.  His is just a bit high at this point and mostly it's just the HDL.  (That's the bad one, right?)  My mom has terrible high cholesterol and they are thrilled when they can get it under 400.  Most times it isn't and she doesn't tolerate the RX to combat it.  I'm just hoping that Grant isn't headed there.

He doesn't eat that much processed foods, but he does like his cheese and meat and does eat a fair amount of fast food "with the guys".  Probably cutting that down to healthier choices there would go along way.

Thanks Heather.
    Michelle

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • They say that drinking red wine reduces "bad" cholesterol, but seeing that Grant is only 18, I bet you don't really want that advice, huh?  LOL
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 08:07:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for all the info Jamie.  I knew Tyler dealt with this and hoped you would see the tread.  His is just a bit high at this point and mostly it's just the HDL.  (That's the bad one, right?)  My mom has terrible high cholesterol and they are thrilled when they can get it under 400.  Most times it isn't and she doesn't tolerate the RX to combat it.  I'm just hoping that Grant isn't headed there.

He doesn't eat that much processed foods, but he does like his cheese and meat and does eat a fair amount of fast food "with the guys".  Probably cutting that down to healthier choices there would go along way.

Thanks Heather.

Actually, HDL is the good one- did you mean LDL?  That's the bad one. Tyler's was something like 145 and we got it down to 120 without him even noticing. He still gets his little cup of Hagan Daz, etc. 120 is still high, but our Endo can live with it. Tyler eats a ton of cheese too. We started buying these Polly O 2% Twists cheese sticks. He loves them and way less saturated fats than the other ones. Maybe try little swaps like that and try trimming ALL the fat off his meat and switching to turkey bacon, turkey pepperoni, etc. Try adding the nuts, apples, red grapes. I'm sure you are right that the fast food is the culprit, but cutting even some of that out is something he will feel :(. Fast food is going to have the worst of all- loaded with transfats and saturated fats and processed carbs, but he enjoys it. I hope you can get it down without taking away the fun. So unfair for our poor kids!
    • Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • LOL, Nancy.  No I won't advocate for that at this point!

That was a great article Jamie.  Yes, I did mean LDL. Grant's was 117 and they want it under 100.  His total cholesterol was 192, triglycerides were 60.  So not a bad report, just not ideal.

He actually really likes the salads at McDonald's.  I'll ask him to get that occasionally instead of the burgers.  See if that helps.  Makes me wonder about how healthy the dressing is though.  He doesn't like fries so that's not a struggle.

Michelle

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • Not bad at all. You will get there!
    • Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

Offline Jana

• Level 4
    « Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Daily exercise can really help lower cholesterol. Do you think you can get Grant to start an exercise routine?  <roflmao>

In all seriousness though, there are several schools of thought when it comes to cholesterol. The most common, or mainstream, one is "lose the saturated fat". People with borderline cholesterol issues can usually see them improve by cutting back on dairy and red meat and increasing their fruits, veggies, whole grains and fish. Some people with more serious cholesterol issues go all out vegetarian or vegan and see drastic improvement. Eric's whole family has cholesterol issues, and Eric was always right at the border before I got ahold of him. We make sure we eat fish twice a week, I try to do 1 or 2 vegaterian meals a week, we don't do any refined carbs, he has cut out almost all dairy, and we limit red meat to once a week most weeks. So far, so good. He's the only male in his family that's not on medication.
    Gabriel (9) Dxd 06/24/05
    Emma (7)

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • Daily exercise can really help lower cholesterol. Do you think you can get Grant to start an exercise routine?  <roflmao>

<roflmao> 

Wow, that's great you have controlled your husband's cholesterol so well with his diet.  I don't know if I can get the troops on board with fish 2x week, but I'll try to have it more often.  Grant eats a lot of dairy.  Loves his big glass of milk for breakfast and his favorite foods are Italian.  Of course that comes with refined flour pasta (though we do use dreamfields) and many times lots of cheese.  :-\

I'm on the lookout now for transfats and saturated fats.  Wondering how I'm going to get enough calories in him if we are cutting the higher fat items and replacing with fish and more veggies/fruits.....  We will manage I'm sure.  At dx it was a game to get him the most food for the 90 carbs he was given/meal.  Now the rules of the game have changed.  It's not about carbs, but fat and calories.
    Michelle

Offline Jana

• Level 4
    « Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • I forgot to mention adding in good fats from nuts, oils and avocados. My family loves nuts, so I toss them in cookies, brownies, oatmeal, pancakes and muffins. Since I'm a Texas gal, we eat tons of TexMex and Mexican. It's easier to go healthier with that (thanks, in part, to the beans, rice, tomato and avocado that I throw in everything). I'm dairy free, but the rest of the family still does dairy. We just cut back on it for them.
    Gabriel (9) Dxd 06/24/05
    Emma (7)

Offline angieh

• Level 4
    « Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • Does he like beans? Will has elevated cholesterol (dang genetics), even though it's come down a lot since dx, it's still higher than normal. I also subscribe to the fish theory. I serve fish once or twice a week, and it raised his good cholesterol significantly, so says the peds cardiologist (we see them on a preventive basis for the cholesterol).

Also mom to little Miss V, 2.5 years old, non-D

[IMG]http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o668/aherbrand/564447_457662694304559_1513802505_n_zpsa917b052.png[

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.