• Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: We Need Parents of Children With T1DM for a Study!  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Elanad

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
We Need Parents of Children With T1DM for a Study!
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • We Need Parents of Children and Teenagers Between Ages 8-16 for at least six months with Type 1 Diabetes to Participate in a Study!
    My name is Elana Dumont and I am a graduate student at Yeshiva University’s Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology.  As part of my doctoral research project, I am conducting a research study on the relationship between any parental stress in caring for a child with Type 1 Diabetes (T1DM), and different parenting styles, and parental perception of their child’s compliance with the diabetes regimen.  As parents, your experiences are of the utmost importance.  The data collected in this study can help inform and improve parent and child relationships.

In order to participate in this project, I will need you to complete three questionnaires.  The enclosed materials should only take fifteen minutes of your time to complete.  The benefit of this project is that you will be helping the profession understand parental stress related to having a child with a chronic illness and how that may be related to different parenting styles.  The risk of participating in this study includes inconvenience and time demands.  However, as I mentioned previously, the survey should only take fifteen minutes of your time.

If you choose to participate, please click this link (https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2snl0FsAPUtiFiB), which will allow you to complete the survey online.  If you would prefer a hard copy of the surveys, leave me your mailing address and I will send you the surveys along with a postage paid envelope to mail back to me.  In addition, a donation will be made to the JDRF, the leading research organization for Type 1 Diabetes, as a token of gratitude for your participation.  The results of this project can be shared with you if you indicate that you are interested in receiving a copy.  If you have any questions about this project, please contact me, Elanadumont@gmail.com.  I will be happy to explain this project in greater detail. 

Participation in this study is confidential and voluntary.  You are not required to participate, and you may withdraw from the study at any time.  This research study has been approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at Yeshiva University.  To learn more about your rights as a research participant you can contact the Administrator of Committee on Clinical Investigations of Yeshiva University at (718)-430-2253, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.  You may also contact my faculty advisor, Dr. Esther Stavrou at (718) 430-3964.

Thank you in advance for your time and participation.

Sincerely,

Elana Dumont, MA, MS     
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:47:51 PM by Elanad »

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    Re: We Need Parents of Children With T1DM for a Study!
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • This sounds interesting.  Personally, I think it's too bad that you capped it at age 16.  From my experience, things really get complicated with d at about age 14-16.  This is when they are becoming more independent and at least in my experience, they begin to spend a great deal of time away from home and have to take a larger role in their d care. 

The added burden of frequently eating at restaurants or at friends houses, a less rigid daily routine with attending high school activities, some play sports, some get jobs.  Things that were going along fine when parents had more control, now can start to spin out of control as the child takes most of the care on their own.  Add to all of that the distractions of teen school/social life. 

At age 18 and a senior in high school, my son manages very well, but I still stay on top of his care.  It's a struggle when I see him so little (varsity sports, job, school, girl friend, buddies to hang out with, etc.) to not have it appear to him that d is more important to me than other areas of his life.   

Maybe that is the point of the study.  To capture parenting information before it starts to get more complicated.  Perhaps what I'm writing about is too large a scope to include it all.  Good luck with your research.  I believe there is a great need for Psychologists who understand the intricacies of parenting a child with a  chronic illness and specialize in helping such families cope and become stronger.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
  • Publish
  • I answered the poll.  From the poll I think that they capped it at 16 due to the types of questions.  Basically the thinking is spanking/yelling/etc parenting (including what you use to spank with   :o ).  So I think they suspect that spanking might not be as utilized with older teens  ;)
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Spanking?  At 14 even?

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Spanking?  At 14 even?

yeah... it was kinda weird. 
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • I thought some other questions were weird too.

Do they eat on time?  (on time for what?)
    Do they exercise regularly?  (why? although regular exercise is important for all people there are no doctors orders on exercise for t1.)
    Do they take the right amount of insulin?  (Um, that's the idea, but it doesn't always work that way.)

:loco:
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 02:51:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • It's also unfortunate that the start age is 8!

I just had to write a HUGE FREAKIN research proposal so it was kind of fun reading the Informed Consent statement ;)
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Something that doesn't work for me on surveys (may seem petty) is that they usually only ask the racial/ethnic information of me... but that doesn't represent my entire household.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Sudip

• Level 4
    • Cure Diabetes
    « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • I would have liked to help out in research but I am not sure about whether I am stressed (or indeed how much) about T1D when sometimes I feel like chucking the meter out the window and at other times I feel that researchers actually often know very little about T1D, and when the bgs are going well, I am happy with the world.
    Sudip, dad to Saranya

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything