• Online Today: 86
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Reality setting in...  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Jennifersachs

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Reality setting in...
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • It has been nine months since diagnosis... It still feels wrong, like it might end, but everyday we wake up and it is still there.  I cry because I can't just drop her off and Gymnastics class, she can't go to daycare and make friends because there is no daycare that will take her.  My best friend and her best friends from her whole life have decided that it is just too much and are not even speaking to us.  Wow did I pick the wrong best friend.  I had no clue she could be so immature, but well we have a lot going on and we aren't easy to hang out with or invite over anymore.  I want my baby girl to be able to do everything the same way as everybody else and at the same time.  Sorry for the pity party.  Just a bad day!  Thanks for letting me vent.

Jennifer  :'(

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: Reality setting in...
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Vent away. It's so hard to adjust as it is, but then to find what you thought was your support structure crumble is just awful. <hug>

I can say it will get better...does your JDRF have a support group? Surround yourself with those who do get it.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug>

Emailed you.  I'm close by.  Are you on the Houston FOTOD list?  Come to the next function.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline kafroche

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug>

The first year is really hard emotionally. It will get better.
    Karen...Liam 8 DX 3/2008 & Katie,11 non-d

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • <hug>

The first year is really hard emotionally. It will get better.

Agreed.   <hug>
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug>
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug>

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline Laura Morin

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 08:45:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Jennifer,
    My daughter was diagnosed in July.
    You get to have pity parties!
    It's totally OK!

You are right...you can't just drop her off and the extra planning and work really take a toll.
    But, there is life after diabetes!

My daughter is 8 (how old is yours?) and a few weeks ago she ran up to me and told me a friend was having a play date after school.  She had invited 4 girls in the class and it was dropoff. When I approached her mom to tell her Elena was diabetic, her face went pale and she told me "she wasn't equipped to have Elena dropped off at her home."  I was heart broken.  The next day, another little girl invited her over.  Her mom is a fire fighter/paramedic whose mom is diabetic.  She was like, "no problem!"  I'll just call you if she needs to test her sugar and feels low or needs a snack! I didn't see that coming at all!

The plus side...my child is seriously learning to juggle so many things at once and "roll with it".  The truth is, it's been a good life lesson.  Yeah, it's more work and she can't just have a class treat like all her friends without going to the school nurse and having insulin administered.  She's still a great student, does all the activities she did before, and is the nicest kid.  She is learning to make great choices (friends included!) and though it sucks to have to be so mature at the ripe age of 8, I keep thinking of my friend who lost her 3-year-old to cancer 2 years ago, and how I get to hug my precious daughter every night! 

Don't beat yourself up about having a pity party. We all have them!  We need to have them so we can continue to be strong!

<hug>
    Laura
    Mom to Elena-8 dx 7-27-13(Omnipod/Dexcom), Katerina-5 non-D, Ali Boxer, and baby Moose

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • It definitely seems like life is growing you curve balls that makes dealing with this difficult.  I'm vet sorry for that.  <hug> <hug>  We felt so lucky when we found our daycare recommended by our endo.   We got very lucky with the location and the act that Chris was about the 5th child they cared for with type 1.   What we do struggle with is the lack of support in real life.  We have limited people that can care for Chris (my mom and one of my sisters).  Chris just passed the two year mark after diagnosis and I can probably count on one hand how many times Eric and I have been out together because my family will only help out so often.  It can be very taxing at times, so definitely vent away.   I'm sorry your friend was such an ass and doesn't realize the pain she caused at such a difficult time.  Going out will definitely get easier Over time and you wind up realizing sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.  Year one I was kind of oblivious to things and then year two was when I became more educated (joined here) and then more stressed out over things.  It's getting easier and I'm learning to deal with the stress.   But we all have our bad days.   <hug>
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug>
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline kx100mom

• Level 2
    • One day at a time
    « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Jennifer,
    My 12 year old son was also diagnosed the day before his birthday this past July.  My husband and I have limited family/friend support. I cried every day at the unfairness thrust upon my kind hearted child.  Once I got past my pity party, I decided it was my mission to teach my son that life would continue and he could do whatever he wanted (just had to add a few more steps to his day) and raise his awareness of what his body is experiencing.

We are fortunate that he is a little older so he takes an active role in his daily care. He went to a friend's house this weekend for his first sleepover since T1D. Granted it was at my friend's house so we were in constant contact, but a huge boost for my son in feeling "normal". Today he found out he made the A team in basketball.

I still have my days of feeling hopeless but with my son's positive attitude, we look forward to the day a cure will be found and we can say "remember when..."  <hug>

Offline Lukesmama

• Level 4
    • Hangin' in
    « Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> Come here and vent all you want!  It is hard! It is painful at times! But you will soon get in a groove and life will go on and D will be forced into the background.  I have found thru this disease that people are cruel and thoughless and just mean sometimes.  Flip those ppl off and clear them out of your head.  The last thing you need is negative energy around you and your daughter.  You are doing great!  Hang in there and come here often.  We get it.  We know how horrible the low times really are. And some of us seasoned D moms know that there is also joy to be found and a happy life to be had after dx.   <hug> <hug> <hug>
    Amy***Mom to Alex-21, Kayla-21, Austin-19, Luke-18 MDI (DX 09-13-09) & Kelsea-16

"Let go or be dragged."

[img]http://www.type1parents.org/SimpleTickers/img.php?pa=6

Offline Bernadette

• Staff
    « Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • I cried for the first year (and sometimes still do) the first year is so hard! Seems to me that you are right on track. We are almost ten years in and there are times I still can't believe this happened.
    My son gets me through the toughest days, these kids are truly amazing! Hang in there, it does get to be a new normal.

Anthony (age 21) dx age 9   2/24/2004

Offline janette2005

• Level 4
    « Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug>

We all were where you are right now. It will get better. When? Every person is different, but you will see that there is happiness even living with T1D. Your girl will amaze you and show you how strong she is. Remove those "friends" that don't get it from your life. I never said it will be easy, especially when you have to deal w/ more shit, but we are here to support you, listen to you and help you in anything you may need. 

Janette (Mom of Adrian, dx on 08/25/2005 & Alexander Non D)

Offline Jennifersachs

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you so much for all of the supportive comments, everyone here is so great!!! The last few days have been better, so times I just need to type it out.  I take every day as it comes.  Today will be better.  Today she is with the sitter because I am working. At least I can say is Tahlor is the best babysitter ever and I love that her brother has had T1D for 10 years and she is GREAT with both my girls.  LOL... I think they like her home more than me.  It is probly just that she gets to just play and spend time with them and lucky Mom has chores and things to do when she is off!   ;)

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.