• Online Today: 57
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: SCHOOL- Help & info  (Read 2326 times)

Offline camodiva3

• Level 2
  • I love my T1 Diabetic Princess!
SCHOOL- Help & info
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:15:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • My 3 year old will be starting preschool this fall. We are in Oklahoma. I would like info and input from parents about IEPs and paperwork involved pertaining to your child's diabetes I would also like to know some parents experiences, I'm nervous about sending her. Thanks in advance.
    Brit
    Mom of Daisy
    Dx 9/10/12

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: SCHOOL- Help & info
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:22:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • What sort of preschool is it? Is it public or private?

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • We were lucky to find a daycare that had previous experience with D.  In fact, their last student left for kindergarten a month or so before we started.  They are state mandated so their are several forms out endo needed to fill out.  On top of that we have a fairly detailed 6 page medical management plan in place.  I update this a couple of times a year as things change and/or I decide more clarity is needed.  There are several diabetes trained staff.  They have received training from their visiting nurse as well as myself.  You definitely want to go with your gut on this one.  We had visited some day cares with no experience and they didn't seem interested in doing much other than feeding him lunch and making sure he ate what he was supposed to. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • My daughter went to private preschool that had no prior experience with D. This worked to our advantage- I was able to train them to handle things the way I wanted them handled. I trained on pump (And dex when we got it), lows, highs etc. We also had a diabetes educator from the DOH come and train (trainer was someone I knew who is also a D-Mom). We never had any real issues. In fact her teacher is absolutely amazing and came to recognize signs of lows and highs. We had a wonderful experience.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline camodiva3

• Level 2
    « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:10:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • It is a private Christian Preschool less than 2 blocks from our house.  Daisy is not on a pump yet. She will be going from 8:30 am to11:00 so she will go after breakfast and before lunch.  Does anyone have suggestions on snack time? How I should handle that?
    Brit
    Mom of Daisy
    Dx 9/10/12

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 01:28:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • What do you do for snacks at home?
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline LexisMommy

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • My daughter was at a Christian daycare upon diagnosis. They were more than willing to meet with the ADA educator and gave her a shot for snacks!
    Kendell. Mom to Lexi (4 and dx 4/21/11) and Eden

Offline camodiva3

• Level 2
    « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ok folks... I'm having a rough day I guess. The thought of having to send my baby to preschool and filling out her care plan is overwhelming.  Those of you whose children were diagnosed before school age, how did you prepare for all that was involved in making the transition happen smoothly? Daisy was dx 3 days before her second birthday and has only been with me and her daddy and my Mom. She will be attending a private Christian preschool only about 1 block from our house so I won't be far away. Did you make a kit with all supplies your child could possibly need while at school? It's just different than dropping my other 2 off for their very first day of school. I thought I was doing pretty good and had all this diabetes stuff figured out and then school came along... HELP!
    Brit
    Mom of Daisy
    Dx 9/10/12

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Chris was dx while he was still with my mom, so it was new to us as well.  We keep a kit on hand, that stays at the school.   It contains glucagon, extra testing strips just in case, a spare meter, glucose gel, glucose tabs, extra juice boxes and ketone strips and meter.  Most if these are required since they are part of te paperwork out endo sent over, but also logical things In case of problems.  Our day care (where he attends pre school) is in a reconfigured residential home, so it's small, but they have a full service kitchen and lots of drinks and food on hand, so we don't have any other specific low goodies on hand.  Most of the paperwork was filled out by the endo, and over time, we've developed out own action plan so they have more details about how to dose for meals, more specificity around when to check, and certain "hints" that I've learned they needed over time. 

I know the feeling that it's much more work to drop him off.  I see parents just come in and swoop up their kids and walk out.  Even compared to what we have to so for Adam, I get the same feeling.  Then I think of all the things I have to make use I bring home each day.  Some days it's frustrating (like when I'm late and rushing), most days it's just routine. 

Good luck!   <hug> <hug>
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline camodiva3

• Level 2
    « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 10:48:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you! I just want to make sure that I get everything together that Daisy needs. I don't want to leave any information out that may be helpful. Having the responsibility of teaching someone else to take care of her is just overwhelming but I know I'll get through it.
    Brit
    Mom of Daisy
    Dx 9/10/12

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 06:59:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • It is overwhelming. Annelies was dx'd March of 1st grade. Discharged on Friday and back to school on Monday. Still not sure how I survived that.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • Giovanni was dx'd one month before he started preschool at 4. It was hard because he had never been to any school with or without D.

We did our best.

He only went in the morning. I fed him breakfast and then he ate the snack (usually under 15 carbs) and then I would correct when I picked him up after the morning.

They were not really trained in D, but he was usually on the higher end of numbers because he had just finished breakfast, and they were not giving insulin for his morning snack yet and he def. wouldn't get a correction as he just ate breakfast.

I stayed at the Mall while he was at preschool so I was really close (we lived about 30 minutes away).
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.