• Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 82
Total: 82

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Genteel lancing device?  (Read 9710 times)

Offline angieh

• Level 4
Genteel lancing device?
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
  • Publish
  • Has anyone tried this "poker", as we call it? $100 is a LOT - but if it actually is pain free I'd cough up $100 in a heartbeat....

https://www.mygenteel.com

Also mom to little Miss V, 2.5 years old, non-D

[IMG]http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o668/aherbrand/564447_457662694304559_1513802505_n_zpsa917b052.png[

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: Genteel lancing device?
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • So it's for alternate site testing? Our Endo wasn't keen on using anything but fingers. Even in the FAQ it says for rapidly changing bg to use fingers, so I'm a bit hesitant on that.

I also would dole out $100 without having the opportunity to see it in action or try it out. And at that price, it isn't cost effective to have a spare. Even if it worked, I'm not liking the price gouging sticker price.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline angieh

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • So it's for alternate site testing? Our Endo wasn't keen on using anything but fingers. Even in the FAQ it says for rapidly changing bg to use fingers, so I'm a bit hesitant on that.

I also would dole out $100 without having the opportunity to see it in action or try it out. And at that price, it isn't cost effective to have a spare. Even if it worked, I'm not liking the price gouging sticker price.

You can use fingers or alternate site. I totally agree on being hesitant about alternate site testing. It's certainly interesting, though. I wish I knew someone who has used it.

[IMG]http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o668/aherbrand/564447_457662694304559_1513802505_n_zpsa917b052.png[

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline davidelkington

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 02:45:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm new to diabetes, etc, my daughter was literally diagnosed last week. Life changing for us so far, but determined to get it under control.

I read David Mendosa's review and placed my order. So far, so good. There could be improvements, but I remember the first time I did a blood draw on my daughter (she's 11) and she freaked out and cried. So, I would gladly spend some money on something that does this without all the anxiety/pain.

This is his review.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/169936/gentle-testing-diabetes/

Offline davidelkington

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 02:47:27 AM »
  • Publish

You can use fingers or alternate site. I totally agree on being hesitant about alternate site testing. It's certainly interesting, though. I wish I knew someone who has used it.

I've been using the alternate sites with genteel since I got it. We do it above the knee cap and it draws within about 2 seconds with no pain. No more fingertips (even though its only been a few days of actual poking with the old device - it was a serious chore).

Offline angieh

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 03:07:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome, David! You definitely found the right place to be. This forum has been absolutely invaluable to me during the past year and a half since my son was diagnosed.

I ordered the Genteel out of sheer curiosity, after noting that I could return if possible. I tested it on myself and thought it worked pretty well, even though it has a bit of a learning curve and took longer than the standard lancing device.

However, my son took one look at it and it freaked him out (he's 7). He said no way was I getting that thing anywhere near him. So back in the mail it goes.

Thanks very much for your input! I'm glad it's working well for your daughter.

Offline bwilliams1979

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 03:20:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • I found this on google looking for reviews. It seems torn between size, and the pain factors... It seems like it does work pain-free but the size is an issue. I get that. Size does seem to indicate a level of discomfort even though it may not happen. I'll probably wait on getting one till after reading a few more thoughts. Thanks all.

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:57:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • I am all about different pokers but this one looks like a pain.  No way my daughter would let this near her.  We found that the delica and especially the multiclix were much less painful than other pokers.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome to the board!! 

And thanks for the review!!

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline zuhdi

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 04:46:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • Its an old post but I wanted to provide an update. I purchased genteel for my 10 year old type 1 diabetic son.  The device is not at all as advertised, first it is not so simple to use, second it leaves marks on if used on forearm and third the blood smudges easily inside the device.  when I saw there site it looked amazing but reality is totally different. 

Offline MelindaC

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 09:48:01 AM »
  • Publish
  • Its an old post but I wanted to provide an update. I purchased genteel for my 10 year old type 1 diabetic son.  The device is not at all as advertised, first it is not so simple to use, second it leaves marks on if used on forearm and third the blood smudges easily inside the device.  when I saw there site it looked amazing but reality is totally different.

I agree, we used it a few times and we just weren't that crazy about it. There was blood all over the inside piece. My daughter did say that it doesn't hurt but she didn't like how bulky it is and she actually said it takes to long to get the blood (of course that review is coming from and impatient 7 yr old  ;) )

Mom to :
    Quentin 14 Non D
    Bethany 12 Non D
    Nathan   9 Non D
    Makenna 7 dx 3/22/11 Pumping Medtronic

Offline bwilliams1979

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • I found this on google looking for reviews. It seems torn between size, and the pain factors... It seems like it does work pain-free but the size is an issue. I get that. Size does seem to indicate a level of discomfort even though it may not happen. I'll probably wait on getting one till after reading a few more thoughts. Thanks all.

UPDATE: After doing a lot research and watching many Youtube reviews I decided to purchase Genteel for my child. We haven't had any problems with it! I did find that if I pulled the device away from the skin too soon that I would have the same problem with blood getting in the cap. After chatting with a rep on their website I was able to troubleshoot why it was happening and now everything works like it should! So, yes, there is a small learning curve, but after you figure it out it really is painless! So worth the initial cost!

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm so glad it works for you <bclap>

My daughter won't give up her multiclix until she absolutely has to

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:57:34 PM »
  • Publish

• My daughter won't give up her multiclix until she absolutely has to

<roflmao> <roflmao> <roflmao>  mine too.  I should take a pic of our embarrassing stash of mutliclix lancets. 
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything