• Online Today: 55
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Mom of newly diagnosed 2 1/2 yr old little boy  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Mfinch74

• Level 2
  • Mom to t1 new diagnosis toddler Jakob
Mom of newly diagnosed 2 1/2 yr old little boy
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi. I just found this site. We are still in the hospital with our baby. Tested him Friday with his Grandmother's glucose tester. I was worried he was drinking and peeing so much. I thought I was being ridiculous and really just did it to rule it out. We were going to go beach and my parents stopped to pick me up. First all the monitor said was HIGH. tested again. His BG was 543. I thought the monitor just was broken. We tested my dad as control and he was 120. I just started sobbing.   

I'm still in shock. It does run in my family but not for the babies!! I don't have it. My paternal aunt and grandmother do/did. No gestational diabetes during pregnancy.

He is being a trooper. He feels a lot better. I see the kid now that I haven't seen in months. I'm grateful we knew the signs and tested. Thank god he did not arrive in ICU in a coma.

We are at Wolfson Children's Hospital in a Jacksonville, Fl. It's a great place to be. I'm just so devastated. I'm trying to stay strong but this really sucks. I'm on a floor with kids with cancer, so it could be worse. I'm slowly getting to know the drill for carbs/ insulin, etc.   I'm grateful to find a place of support.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: Mom of newly diagnosed 2 1/2 yr old little boy
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug>

So glad you had the instinct to test, well done!

Do yourself a favor, don't compare his diagnosis to the others on the floor. Apples and oranges and you have just as much right to feel as you do.  They all suck <hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug>

This is the best place for support. Sorry that you have to be here. 

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • So glad you found us so quick and that you recognized the symptoms enough to check.

I have a 6 year old who was diagnosed at 2 1/2. Hang in there!
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Chris was 17 months at diagnosis and is now 4. We saw the same symptoms.   Did the research.  And when I brought him in for an ear recheck asked them to check for d as well.  I'm not even sure what the number was, just know that we were told immediately to go to the hospital and it took until middle of the night to get his number down to where the meter could read it.   

Glad you like the hospital you're at and that you found a Support group so quickly.
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I'm really glad that you have found us as soon as you have. As you can see, we have a lot of members with kids dx'd at baby/toddler ages, my two boys included - 18 mos. and 26 mos.

You have family support from the start, which is GREAT. Remember that diabetes is different for each person, and especially has some ups and downs for the little ones that older folks seem to even out a little more. That's where we can really be helpful, so don't hesitate to ask ANY questions, no matter how small. We've all been there, and I know many of us consider it a privilege to help where we can just like others helped us.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline Mfinch74

• Level 2
    • Mom to t1 new diagnosis toddler Jakob
    « Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:37:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you all so much. It's our first night home. It's sooo good to be home. I organized all my stuff. We have now used and have ready everything we need. Jakob is being such a trooper. I am the luckiest person on earth to be his mom. Your support is so helpful. And your welcome is very much appreciated.

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm so sorry about your little guy's dx, but I'm glad you found us so quickly. 
    My son was 9 at dx, but there are lots of people here who had little ones dx'd.

Ask anything, there are no dumb questions here.  The early days are stressful and overwhelming, and we are here to help.
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • Glad you found us but sorry you had to.  Such a good thing to be home ( but a bit scary too.).   Bet you are emotionally and physically exhausted! 

Offline haysmom

• Level 4
    • "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    « Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • So glad you found this group! We were a year in before I found it and I have no idea how I survived that year!

Andrea is right, try not to compare him. Not even to other type one's. And you're going to get a lot of information over the next few months. There will be days you feel overwhelmed. There will be days you feel confident. This group is here to help and celebrate all types of days!

There's also a lot of night owls on here so there's pretty much support 24/7.

The advice I offer newly diagnosed families is to try not to read too much right now. Take in a little at a time. But ask as many questions as you like!

We hate to welcome new members to this family but we do welcome you with open arms!
    Michelle ~ Mom to Haylee, 16 (dx 7/28/09 - pumping MM) & JT, 18 (non D) ~ West Virginia

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.