• Online Today: 52
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: JDRF fundraising  (Read 1134 times)

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
JDRF fundraising
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • With our first DX just a year & a half ago, we've only been involved in one JDRF fundraising event. Our local walk is gearing up again, and I'm finding myself with lots of conflicting thoughts.

So I'd like to know: What are your views and how do you handle it? I'm sure this forum represents a wide variety of opinions, and I'd like to hear them all (as I know you'll keep it classy even among different viewpoints).

-How do you avoid a "victim mentality" in letters and speeches (or is it only our local chapter that's so emotional)?
    -How do you balance compassion for these kids and desire for a cure while also acknowledging how blessed they are (compared to PWD in third world countries, a hundred years ago, etc.)?
    -How do you make the decision to fundraise for T1D when there are other ("deadlier") diseases that need advocacy and money? Or instead of mission work, outreach, social justice, etc.?
    -Do you agree with JDRFs direction in research (I know there's already differing views about that)? What IS their direction right now (as best we can tell) compared to the past?
    -For those who struggle with the ethics of embryonic stem cell research, how do you resolve the dilemma of where your money might go?

Please understand I'm not pointing fingers at anyone's choices... just looking for some food for thought.
    « Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:56:13 PM by SarahMay »
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    Re: JDRF fundraising
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • Wow... Where do I begin. Lots of great questions and not enough time to respond till later tonight...but anxious to add NY two cents.

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • I hope this makes sense, my fingers and brain aren't quite working together.

I'm not a gung-ho fundraiser.  I set up the page and my mom shares it with her circle and we share with other family.

I don't compare to other diseases. Everyone has a cause that's important to them, this is our cause, this is what is important to us personally.

I'm not 100% sure of jdrf's current direction with the leadership change. With the leadership change it was said because of a change in direction but I've not seen anything officially announced.

I don't struggle with stem cell research. But I've known people who have said they wouldn't accept a cure if it originated from embryonic stem cell research.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Spurcell922

• Level 3
    « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • I keep my fundraising simple as to why it's important to me.  Last year I informed about the daily impacts of blood sugar checking, carb counting, etc. 

This year, my focus is on technological advances and the impact on the day to day lives that it's had. 

I do not compare to anything else out there.  My niece has a rare muscular dystrophy related disease.  There are things that are both worse and better when you compare the her disease with T1D.  But they are totally different and both equally suck when it comes down to it.  Everyone has their cause, or willingness to donate to a cause, and all I can do is say why it's important to me and my family. 

I have not touched on the other matters, nor has anyone ever asked me about them. 
    Sarah

Mom to:
    Chris, 4 yrs old, dx 11/23/11
    Adam, 2 years, non D
    Pumping with Animas ping 7/26/12
    Using Dexcom G4 9/13/14

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.