• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Diabetes Camps  (Read 2788 times)

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
  • KDA
    • KDA not DKA
Re: Diabetes Camps
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • My son is very similar to Patty's.  He had no desire to go to diabetes camp, nor really connect much with other d-teens.  He does have a couple of friends that he texts occasionally, but that's about it.  He does have the "advantage" of his dad being t1 as well, and they are a good support for each other.
    He has gone to Boy Scout camp outs and other weekend things. He went on a week-long camping trip with a friend and his family for spring break.  That was his first long trip without us, but one of his buddies on the trip has a t1 dad.  The kid is a goof, but strangely I feel very comfortable that he will look out for Seth when they are out and about.
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • So far, my 15 year old son has expressed that he has no desire to go to diabetes camp or to any meetings for kids with diabetes.  He just wants to go on with life and not be different.  I have wondered if my husband and I should push him to go to camp hoping that in the end it would help our son feel less lonely and less different.  So far, we have not pushed.  We probably won't.

Sounds wise to me.  <t-up> Don't know if others had this experience too, but neither of my kids wanted to talk about D much for the first year or so after diagnosis. It was new and confusing, made them different, etc. In time, they got more comfortable with explaining it to friends and seeking out others. It's like they had to wrap their own head around it and find a groove before they had any interest in interacting with other T1s.

But then, it can be a personality thing too. Isaiah recently complained that it was "so annoying" to explain D to new acquaintances. Jonah immediately exclaimed, "I LIKE explaining it!"  ::)
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline Swoopie

• Level 4
    « Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was diagnosed as an adult so I never had the need or opportunity to go to a summer do camp.

But my former endo started a camp for adults with type 1. It deals with being active and dealing with d, plus the psychology of it. He brings in expert coaches, a sports psychologist, and it's wonderful being around people who test and dose and all that other jazz and are athletes. I gained so much from that camp. I went twice, recently after my diagnosis. It just hasn't worked out for me since then.
    Robin, 34, PA
    Dx Type 1 6-6-05
    Pumpin' 2-6-06 Minimed Revel 723
    CGM 5-9-10
    Claire Elizabeth born 3-25-12
    Ian James born 12-19-14

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything