• Online Today: 86
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: school trips  (Read 1681 times)

kelly

school trips
« on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • My 14 year old son who is type 1 is going on a school trip in March to NYC.  My husband and I are trying to figure out how he can go and still be safe.  He forgets to bolus and test all the time.  We have to remind him a lot. 
    I'm concerned if we didn't go no one will be checking in with him to see if he did everything he needs to do.  He does change his site on his own but sometimes waits til he is just about out of insulin. No one is trained that is going on the trip to help him.  I'm afraid he will eat all of the snacks we will pack for his lows and then not have any when he needs them.  Does anyone have any advise?  Please help!!

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: school trips
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Is the school public? If so, they'd are required by federal law to accommodate him and ensure his medical safety.

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • Someone going on the trip needs to be trained, and your son needs to be accountable to that person.  And he needs to be able to contact you at any time.  Good luck!
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline wildflower142

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:04:08 AM »
  • Publish
  • i'll be watching this thread. Ashleigh (15) is going to walt disney world 2/11-2/16 with our school.  Right now my biggest fear, before they leave their bags will be searched. And they  have stated if any medication is in the bag and not on the nurse's list than the parent will be called to remove the medication. We did not list Ashleigh's insulin on the nurse's form. Because it stated "medication that the nurse will administer". Well the nurse doesn't need to administer her insulin! We did list her glucagon but not her insulin.  We were told that Ashleigh would be allowed to carry her insulin with her, but than we hear at the meeting about  no medication allowed. All bags and purses will be searched because there is a list of items the students are not allowed to take with them.  Hoping the people who are searching are smart enough to realize insulin is non negotiable that she needs it for survival.
    Chris mom to 4 girls
    Ashleigh (17) T1D 3/23/10
    MDI w/Lantus & Novolog
    Pumped Animas & Tslim: Dec 2010-July 2015
    A1C 6.2%

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:54:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • i'll be watching this thread. Ashleigh (15) is going to walt disney world 2/11-2/16 with our school.  Right now my biggest fear, before they leave their bags will be searched. And they  have stated if any medication is in the bag and not on the nurse's list than the parent will be called to remove the medication. We did not list Ashleigh's insulin on the nurse's form. Because it stated "medication that the nurse will administer". Well the nurse doesn't need to administer her insulin! We did list her glucagon but not her insulin.  We were told that Ashleigh would be allowed to carry her insulin with her, but than we hear at the meeting about  no medication allowed. All bags and purses will be searched because there is a list of items the students are not allowed to take with them.  Hoping the people who are searching are smart enough to realize insulin is non negotiable that she needs it for survival.

I would contact one of the adults in charge and explain and get it in writing that Ashleigh will carry her insulin.  Period.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
  • Publish

I am the queen of rewriting forms...in this case I would have lined through "that the nurse would administer" and just left "medication"

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline usbornetheresa

• T1P Twitter admin
    • Staff
      • Usborne Books & More
    « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:10:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • Tori went to DC in 8th grade and that was the reason I pushed for a Dex.  My biggest concern was overnight lows.  To tell you the truth, she wouldn't have gone if she wasn't showing some responsibility in her own care.  7th grade is old enough to understand why he would need to do what he is responsible for. 

i'll be watching this thread. Ashleigh (15) is going to walt disney world 2/11-2/16 with our school.  Right now my biggest fear, before they leave their bags will be searched. And they  have stated if any medication is in the bag and not on the nurse's list than the parent will be called to remove the medication. We did not list Ashleigh's insulin on the nurse's form. Because it stated "medication that the nurse will administer". Well the nurse doesn't need to administer her insulin! We did list her glucagon but not her insulin.  We were told that Ashleigh would be allowed to carry her insulin with her, but than we hear at the meeting about  no medication allowed. All bags and purses will be searched because there is a list of items the students are not allowed to take with them.  Hoping the people who are searching are smart enough to realize insulin is non negotiable that she needs it for survival.
    Since this is a school event, her 504 will still apply.  Has the school told you how they handle other kids with D on this?  I would bet they have something in place. 
    Theresa
    Mom to Tori (14yo) dx 3/2006
    Pumping with Animas Ping 8/2010
    Dex G4 10/2013
    Michigan
    [/URL]

Offline wildflower142

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 05:50:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • i told Ashleigh her 504 should still apply since it's a school event. When i talked to the band director before the meeting, he said Ashleigh would be allowed to carry her insulin with her, and wouldn't have to go to the nurse.  At the meeting he stated "people on pill form medications will have to go to the nurse". So that would not be Ashleigh. But then he also said that when they search the students bags, if any medication is found (that is not on the nurse's list) the parent will be called and medication will be removed.  So now i'm confused as to whether or not we should have listed the insulin.
    Chris mom to 4 girls
    MDI w/Lantus & Novolog
    A1C 6.2%

Offline wildflower142

• Level 4
    « Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • update on my situation. I e-mailed the band director about my concerns. he said it was fine for Ashleigh's insulin to be in her carry on or purse, and said he'd make a note about it being there. I'm saving the e-mail though, in case someone else tries to cause trouble.
    Chris mom to 4 girls
    MDI w/Lantus & Novolog
    A1C 6.2%

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • I was thinking about you emailing him, to have it in writing...but you already thought of it.

I think it'll be fine, having that I hand

My blog

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.