• Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Novel about t1  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
Novel about t1
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • So, I recently read a book where the main character has Aspberger's.  The book exposes a bit about what it is like to parent (and be) someone with this condition.  It got me thinking/wondering if there are any novels like that for t1.  I know there are occasionally characters with t1 who pop up in a book here or there, but I'm wondering about a fictional book for adults that feature what it's like to live with it.  Anybody know of one? 
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    Re: Novel about t1
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • I have 3 young teen novels here:

Covering the Bases by Leigh Olsen
    Running Interference by Leigh Olsen
    Power Forward by Tracey West

The main character has T1 in each book. They were distributed in a gift bag given out by LillyDiabetes ( I mailed the rest to my friend in Canada, they were younger girl books).

Maybe these authors can help you start a search for older books with T1 in it.

Question: It wasn't that Jodi Picoult House Rules book was it?
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:53:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Leslie and yep, that's the one. 
    Michelle

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:39:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Leslie and yep, that's the one.

I got into an argument with her about that book.  I was so angry that the main character was spreading misinformation. She wrote back saying that the boy had Asperger's and it was part of his disability. I wrote back arguing she was the author and she could have written it correctly just as easily as writing it incorrectly. I was flaming mad. I refuse to read any of her books  <roflmao> like that matters, but it makes me feel better.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • I remember this came up here when the book was published. 

Did you read the whole book?  The chapters are split up into the "voice" of each character.  It is the character who has Aspberger's who is overstating the importance of Crime Busters in his life.  (likening it to being as important as insulin to someone with d - for those of you who haven't read it.)  I don't have a problem with it.  Jacob is not correct in many of his assumptions and many of his view on life.  It's part of his disability.  If the comment had come from a different character in the book - I would not be happy.  This character does view it as a life/death importance even though it truly is not.  JMO.

I read it for my book club.  This book was chosen by a mom of a child on the autism spectrum.  She picked it as a way to get to know her better and understand a little bit about what her life is like.  That's what made me wonder if I could show my book club a little about what it's like to be a d mom.  Maybe I should contact Jody and ask her to write a book from our perspective!  She could even have someone with T1 say that having Aspberger's is no big deal.  Just to balance it out.  >:D

Michelle

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • In the past Annelies has searched type 1 as subject at the library.brought up a couple fiction kids books

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • I remember this came up here when the book was published. 

Did you read the whole book?  The chapters are split up into the "voice" of each character.  It is the character who has Aspberger's who is overstating the importance of Crime Busters in his life.  (likening it to being as important as insulin to someone with d - for those of you who haven't read it.)  I don't have a problem with it.  Jacob is not correct in many of his assumptions and many of his view on life.  It's part of his disability.  If the comment had come from a different character in the book - I would not be happy.  This character does view it as a life/death importance even though it truly is not.  JMO.

I read it for my book club.  This book was chosen by a mom of a child on the autism spectrum.  She picked it as a way to get to know her better and understand a little bit about what her life is like.  That's what made me wonder if I could show my book club a little about what it's like to be a d mom.  Maybe I should contact Jody and ask her to write a book from our perspective!  She could even have someone with T1 say that having Aspberger's is no big deal.  Just to balance it out.  >:D

I read the whole book. I just didn't like that one part that he would give insulin for a low. If that is your only knowledge of diabetes and clearly that makes people experts then it is frightening. She could have just said sugar or high. Would have been just as easy.

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • And when she answered me she answered as if Jacob made the decisions. I was embarrassed for her.

Offline shortstopmom

• Level 4
    • Nancy
    « Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • To hell with Jodi Picoult writing a book with a iT1 character.  I think Michelle and Leslie should co-author a book!!  Now THAT would be something to read!!  Best seller list for sure. 

C'mon ladies.........
    Nancy
    DX March, 1971 (45 years). Pumping with "Forrest Pump" for 10 years.  Lovin' my Dexcom G4 "Lt Dan".  Mom/Stepmom of 7, grandma of 10.

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • To hell with Jodi Picoult writing a book with a iT1 character.  I think Michelle and Leslie should co-author a book!!  Now THAT would be something to read!!  Best seller list for sure. 

C'mon ladies.........

I'm on it  ;)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 09:02:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • I tried to do a search at the Library of Congress to see if anything come up... didn't find a fiction book but this caught my eye

http://typeonenation.org/forums/topic/hope-for-the-holidays-album-to-benefit-jdrf/

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • I tried to do a search at the Library of Congress to see if anything come up... didn't find a fiction book but this caught my eye

http://typeonenation.org/forums/topic/hope-for-the-holidays-album-to-benefit-jdrf/

I have that CD!  It's pretty good! <t-up>
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
  • Publish
  • because I'm doing everything possible to avoid running errands

A Perfect Life by Danielle Steele
    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/213525/a-perfect-life-by-danielle-steel

Sounds as uplifting as Steel Magnolias :o

My blog

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • because I'm doing everything possible to avoid running errands

A Perfect Life by Danielle Steele
    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/213525/a-perfect-life-by-danielle-steel

Sounds as uplifting as Steel Magnolias :o

"Her daughter, blinded in childhood by T1"  Sounds pretty typical.  I'm sure there is no misinfo there!   ^-^
    Michelle

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »
  • Publish

C'mon ladies.........

<roflmao>  I'll add that to my list....
    Michelle

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.