• Online Today: 60
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Baking questions  (Read 1345 times)

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
Baking questions
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • Any of you bake a lot? I'm trying to modify some recipes and I'm wondering if I'm trying to reinvent the wheel. I'd love to find a forum/message boar/blog somewhere that is into healthy baking without insisting that you also be free of all allergens or paleo or grind your own grain... you get the point. I've switched to organic flours, I know the basics, and I've started to switch out some of the more processed sugars for blackstrap molasses where I can, for (1) more minerals and (2) supposedly a lower glycemic load.

My goal is to find 3-5 recipes for TASTY (my family won't eat cardboard and neither will I) muffins, bars, etc. that can be grabbed and eaten quickly in the mornings. I'd like them to have a decent amount of fiber (so far, rolled oats and chunks of apple have helped add bulk - have bought pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to add in the mix) and low-ish glycemic, at least for a baked good.

In case any of you might wonder WHY I'm doing this, Isaiah's breakfast spike with cereal has gotten out of control, and no amount of tweaking, pre-dosing, etc. seems to help. I'm basically trying to eliminate breakfast cereal from our house. So far, a week and a half into this experiment, his morning spike is only touching 300 and coming right back down to 100 by lunch instead of the 350-360 it was doing before. If I can extend the food absorption even more, I think I may have a chance at matching insulin to food and coming up with a better dosing procedure for his breakfast.

Thoughts? Recipes? I'll post the one I made yesterday here tomorrow.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    Re: Baking questions
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • http://heavenlyhomemakers.com has a lot of recipes like you're describing (if you can get beyond the corny name  :D ).

http://ohsheglows.com is vegan, so a lot of the recipes would naturally have a lower glycemic load.

The blog rolls/links on each of those sites might give you some more resources, too.

Have you tried Ezekiel bread from the store?
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:07:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks, Sarah. Is it terrible that I am looking at the vegan recipes and instantly figuring out how to de-vegan them and de-GF them? At least the use of almond flour will add some nice protein.

We haven't tried the Ezekiel bread simply because I'm trying to make my own consistently now, and we don't really have lunch problems. not to mention the expense! It's $5+ a loaf around here, and I can get decent local organic bread for $4/loaf not on sale.  The boys aren't into toast for breakfast, either, so a muffin or pseudo-granola bar plus some yogurt or cheese and a glass of milk does better. And I can crank out a batch of 24 muffins in less than an hour start to finish, which is generally about a weeks' worth of breakfast even with my husband and our boarder grabbing them on their way to work.
    Angela, Mom to Elizabeth - 13, Luke - 11, dx 9/30/2006 and Isaiah - 8, dx 6/7/2010 both pumping with T-Slims

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:23:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • I bake like 5 times a week, all breakfasty stuff, but I'm all gluten free baking.
    Good luck!!!
    And Linds on here is Paleo. I can tag her on facebook to see if she has any good ideas.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:02:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • Im trying to bake more...I've not tried to the "healthy"'ones posted for fear of the cardboard effect.

What I'd really like to find is a breakfast cookie type thing...something easy for her to grab and go before she starts high school next year and is out the door at 0630 for the bus.

I am also back into a rut for dinner meals... I need inspiration so much. 

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't do a lot of baking, but I do make a really yummy protein muffin.  Probably not what your looking for since it has protein powder in it, BUT - I add in 1 cup of shredded zucchini.  It makes it more moist, more nutritious, and a bit bigger muffins (and adds no taste).  Just an idea.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline MommyAngela

• Level 4
    « Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Great idea on the zucchini. My kids love zucchini bread,and yes, that always helps with the moisture content. You're right that I don't want to add the protein powder, but I'm thinking I may try to made some seed butters (like sunflower, etc) and work those in for extra protein without textile.

I'm not trying to do full paleo because (1) my budget can't handle it for 6 people and (2) is have a full fledged rebellion, but some of the principles I've learned seem to be helping BGs stay steadier.
     Overall, just changing us to more whole foods over the last year and getting rid of the last of the artificial sweeteners seems to have made a big difference in how eternally hungry my kids are. They still get fast  food as  a treat from time to time, but we're lucky to have better options around here even for that (Burgerville).

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything