• Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: need help  (Read 1632 times)

Offline mamasm

• Level 3
  • I love T1P
need help
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:36:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sam just took 5 units for French toast.  He ate one bite and said he felt like throwing up!  That was a 106 carb dinner!  I was able to get him to drink around 60 carbs of juice.  He is refusing all food and now juice.  His blood sugar is currently 119, but he hasn't hit the peak of the Humalog yet.  I'm checking him every 15 minutes and trying so hard to get him to eat or drink.  He's being very stubborn and feels terrible.  Stuffy nose, headache and stomache ache.  He feels like throwing up, but hasn't yet.  My husband thinks we should skip lantus tonight and try to get him as high as we can for now.  I can deal with highs tomorrow.  Does this sound good?
    Kristin
    Mom to Sam, 11 yrs old, dx 9-12-12, MDI
    Mom to Matthew, 8 yrs old, non-d

Offline mamasm

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    Re: need help
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well he is throwing up now.  Our first experience with this since diagnosis.  I called dr on call.  I didn't care for him at all.  I said he is 77 and at the peak of his insulin and throwing up.  He suggested I check his blood sugar every three hours!  What?!  I am checking him every 15 minutes!  He is now 68, feeling queasy, but sucking on tabs and sipping ginger ale.  He did convince me to do lantus though.  I totally forgot that he needs it to keep the ketones down.  Trying hard not to panic.  At what point do you take them in? 
    Kristin

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Deep  breaths mama!

Glad you did his lantus.  Hang in there.  It will work out.  No reason to take him in at this point.  Have you been taught how to do mini-glucagon if you need it?  As long as he's getting carbs in I wouldn't worry a bit.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline mamasm

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • I do not know how to do mini-glucagon.  He is finally 84 and keeping things down.  I think the panic feeling is letting up!  I forgot we had some Zofran left over from brother being sick, he took that.  Hope it helps.
    Kristin

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 12:23:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • yay!  hang in there!  Check ketones.  Do you have a blood ketone meter?  If it's a stomach bug ketones could be in play.

Here's info on mini glucagon   https://stephenponder.wordpress.com/the-library/educational-guides/mini-dose-glucagon-to-the-rescue/
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • I hope all things settled down in the night.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yes, I hope things are better today too!

I also panic for stomach bugs.  <hug> So scary, especially with insulin on board. After we get past that initial push, though, they usually require MORE insulin to prevent/clear ketones... so counterintuitive.

The parents here taught me to keep suckers/lollipops on hand for getting carbs in when they don't feel like eating.  <t-up> Glucose gel can work, too.
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline mamasm

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:20:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sam woke me up saying "I checked my ketones and they are good. I feel fine now so you don't have to worry anymore. I was pretty scared last night but prayed and now I'm fine. praise the Lord! Can we have biscuits and gravy for breakfast?"

I'm so happy it only lasted a few hours! I definitely will be stocking the pantry with suckers!

Kristin

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sam woke me up saying "I checked my ketones and they are good. I feel fine now so you don't have to worry anymore. I was pretty scared last night but prayed and now I'm fine. praise the Lord! Can we have biscuits and gravy for breakfast?"

I'm so happy it only lasted a few hours! I definitely will be stocking the pantry with suckers!

<bclap> How sweet. Enjoy your day!!
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm so sorry i missed this <hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »
  • Publish

I like this kid.
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything