• Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Concerned mommy!  (Read 997 times)

Offline sara.c.goetz

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Concerned mommy!
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi everyone, I promise this post is not a "does my child have Diabetes" type of post!  Our issues with Dd started last year when she woke up from sleeping with the shakes. It happened from time to time and we chalked it up to low blood sugar. For the last year she has become very picky about eating. I swear she hardly eats usually. Within the last 2 months she has been acting completely out of control. That is the only way I can describe it. When I look at her when she is having an emotional/physical meltdown her eyes actually look desperate. Kind of as if she is high. Yesterday was her 6th Birthday and it finally dawned on me that my fear for the last year might actually be coming true. It was like a light switch. I realized her appetite is back with a vengeance. I remembered she has had 3 accidents in her pants in 2 weeks. I noticed she drank SO much water during the day. She was going to the bathroom a ton. Around 6 times in an hour. My sister is a diabetes sales rep so I asked her to show me how to test her just thinking she might be low. I tested her 2 hours after she ate and she was only 105 which was great. I then tested her before dinner and she had not eaten anything before that and actually just slept for 3 hours and it was 132. 2 1/2 hours after that she had a reading of 254. When I saw that number i swear I had a heart attack. My father in law is a pediatrician and he did a urine ketone and glucose test on her today (clinic was closed) and they came back negative. I have an appt with our doctor tomorrow morning so we will get the A1c test done. Has anyone ever had a negative urine ketone test and it still be diabetes?  Due to the symptoms I will keep looking for answers and not rule things out just because of the urine test. Thanks for reading this long drawn out post!  I feel like I just needed to vent about it;)!  Anybody have any words of wisdom for me?  If you have been where I am I would love to hear from you.

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    Re: Concerned mommy!
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • My first son only had a trace of ketones at his diagnosis. The second one didn't have any (we caught it really early). Urine ketones can take awhile to show up.

With her other symptoms (hunger, thirst, frequent urination, behavioral issues) I would DEFINTIELY get her to the doctor ASAP, which it sounds like you're doing.  <t-up>
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.