• Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: D stress accumulation  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Laura Morin

• Level 3
  • I love T1P
D stress accumulation
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • This July will mark our 2 year diaversary.
    I can't even remember our life without D anymore.
    At the beginning of this month, I was thinking about how well we are doing.  I am starting a new teaching job in August that will be walking distance from my home.  The school is grades 6-12 and, though expensive, both girls will be able to attend for free.
    Leaving my current school of 9 years, a very stressful job, enables me to try to balance my life a little more (especially since its a 30-45 minute commute each way).
    Elena is thriving.  She's got straight A's in school, plays the cello and piano beautifully, practices Tae-Kwon-Do 3-4x per week, and is really enjoying growing her faith this year (First communion next year). She's so happy.  She doesn't let D get her down one bit.
    I guess it came as a surprise this past week when the intense pain and cramps started.  I thought I had some sort of stomach flu.  Three days later, as I was doubled over in pain, I started looking for answers.  I reached out to my brother and it turns out he has IBS.  He thinks I do too. (I have an appointment today).
    After a D dx, if it does turn out I have IBS, I know I will be fine.  But, I'm so annoyed about how the stress of D has accumulated over the past few years and it seems my body is turning on me these days.  I get that our "new normal" is more than we were probably intended to handle, but I honestly felt like I had a great handle on things.
    My biggest fear is how this stress accumulation will affect Elena once she begins to take on more ownership of her disease.  I feel like hubby and I shield her from so much at this age, and I just hate to think that she will slowly have to add all this damn D stress to her life.

A few weeks ago, I saw one of my seniors with type 1 (I taught him last year) in the hallway.  He looked exhausted.  I asked him if he was OK.  He flashed me his share graph in his iphone and said his numbers were pretty good today but the previous night he'd had a few lows.  He said his parents were requiring him to do his own nighttime checks and treatments in preparation for college (He's going to Cornell in the fall) and he was adjusting to all the wake ups.  "I totally slept through the lows at night, Mrs. M.  My dad would test me and give me juice and I wouldn't even wake up.  Now, I have my share alarm super loud and I have to wake up and test and treat.  It's pretty crazy, but I can do it."

I know our kids are resilient.  Probably more resilient than most. I just hope that the accumulation of D stress doesn't mean that Elena will end up dealing with something like IBS in her middle age.
    Laura
    Mom to Elena-8 dx 7-27-13(Omnipod/Dexcom), Katerina-5 non-D, Ali Boxer, and baby Moose

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    Re: D stress accumulation
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug>  <hug>  <hug>

First of all, congrats on things going so well overall. Sounds like you're kickin' it!

I hear you about the effects of stress on our bodies! A few weeks after our first DX (which coincided with horrible things happening in our extended family), I was in the ER doubled over with gastritis pain. It's taken me two years to start sorting it all out. Praying you're able to quickly get some answers and relief!

Finally, I'm encouraged watching others survive and thrive with D. Without exception, the T1 adults I've met (on this forum and IRL) are positive, proactive, cheerful, and determined. I hope the same for my kids as they grow up!
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug> <hug> <hug> <hug>
    I think the stress in some ways is harder on the caretakers/loved ones than the people that have diabetes.  I stress about it WAY more than my husband does.  So, hopefully our children will grow up to have less stress than we do.  They will certainly have different stresses than we do.  Not trying to say they won't have any.  I just know from our experience that it's a different kind of stress.
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline Swoopie

• Level 4
    « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 07:48:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • While no one ever cared for me, D wise since I was diagnosed as an adult, I can say it is much easier to deal with things when it is you. Rather than worrying about a different person. I finally got it when Claire was born. Why is she crying? Is she hurt? Scared? Sick? Tired? Bored??? So hard to think about how another person feels... All you parents who do this  <hug> <clap>
    Robin, 34, PA
    Dx Type 1 6-6-05
    Pumpin' 2-6-06 Minimed Revel 723
    CGM 5-9-10
    Claire Elizabeth born 3-25-12
    Ian James born 12-19-14

Offline Laura Morin

• Level 3
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks ladies! I am definitely optimistic after meeting with a wonderful gastro. He said what I described was totally IBS but unless I had several bouts, it could have just been an isolated event. Recommended probiotics, no lactose, and taking care of me. Gonna have to use my spa gift cards this summer!
    We continue to deal with D as positively as we can. I totally agree that we out way more stress as caregivers on ourselves. That is such a great point! Gives me hope that Elena will manage D well in the years to come.
    Laura
    Mom to Elena-8 dx 7-27-13(Omnipod/Dexcom), Katerina-5 non-D, Ali Boxer, and baby Moose

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:18 PM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug>

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything