• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Update 3 (hope last): Love/Hate Soccer  (Read 6199 times)

Offline andrea

• Admin
    • My Blog
Re: Love/Hate Soccer
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • She doesn't want to do it, but doesn't want to cause trouble either.

Yogurt was our go to also...but we moved south and to almost 100 and freakin' humidity...not a great mix at all

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • I wouldn't do it. He probably has no idea how difficult it is or how varied. If A doesn't want to make a big deal over it, then I might takes the heat over it, but I would say how she is handling her BG is protected health information.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline Chris

• Founder/Owner
    • Administrator
    • Luck. Runs. Out.
    « Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • He's a soccer coach not a pancreas
    Unless he welcomes advise on soccer strategies
    Chris
    -Daddy to Emily (9) dx 6/24/08 and Christopher (14) dx 7/25/04 and Ava

Offline JamieP

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yeh, I would make you or even her Endo the "bad" guy. Say that Annalies mentioned it to you and that you aren't comfortable with it and your Endo has told you in previous situations that less is more when "coaching" her for BG management.  Assure him that you all are on it and if you have any soccer specific concerns, you will ask him. And you really appreciate his commitment to making Annalies into the best soccer player she can be and if he has "soccer specific" nutrition tips that you would love to hear them.
    • Jamie Perez
    Jamie Perez
    Mom to Tyler, 16yrs, T1dx 4/21/12
    Dexcom G4 11/1/12; Omnipod 2/1/13
    Mom to Kate, 11yrs, NonD

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • No experience with this, but my mom-radar says it's none of his business.

If he truly wants to learn, that can happen in a different context. I'm all for education... just not interference.

You'll make the right call.  <hug>
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline RyleesMom

• Friend
    « Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • My response would be hell no... no matter what Rylee thought.  I stand firm on coaches, teachers, etc. playing their own role in the care of Rylee.  Let him in this one time and he won't understand his role to me.  I wouldn't want him trying to tell me how to manage my kid's T1.  I've found that coaches who want to be involved too much have no clue what they are talking about.  I'm very opinionated when it comes to this since Rylee has been very active in sports since dx. 
    Melanie
    Dallas, Texas
    Rylee's Mom - 14 years old, pumping with Omnipod March 2008 and Dexcom G4 January 2014- dx 05/11/07 - Emmalee - 3 years old (non-D)

[/UR

Offline rudi

• Level 4
    « Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • Would he like you to log her cycle, too, because maybe he can figure how to adjust for that. And more/less sleep? Sorry, I'm sure he means well but it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up and all my best swears tried really hard to make it to the screen. A doesn't want to make a fuss but who knows how he's going to approach the info in front of him and how judgy he may become. I'd do whatever I could to convince her it wasn't necessary. But I'm snippy like that.
    Mum to Jasper, 14 and D-free, Zephyr, 12 and diagnosed Jan 29 2009, and Willow, 10 and diagnosed Jan 12, 2008. Wife and pest to Kevin since 2000.

Offline haysmom

• Level 4
    • "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    « Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • If she doesn't want to do it and doesn't want to make a big deal I'd just go with simply in passing say to the coach - thank you for your concern and wanting to hell but we and her endo have it covered.
    Michelle ~ Mom to Haylee, 16 (dx 7/28/09 - pumping MM) & JT, 18 (non D) ~ West Virginia

Offline meke1997

• Level 4
    « Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • I wouldn't do it, none of his business.     I know A doesn't want to upset the boat, but I would explain to him that there are so many factors that affect blood sugar and food is just a small part of it.     

Heat and humidity is tough.  When were recently in DC for a few days I expected lows because we walked everywhere.  But we never saw a low,  and we fought highs the entire time. 

Mary Jo Mom to Abby 16 (dxed 9-2-2008, pumping 3-1-2009, Dexcom 11-2012)

Offline Heather Rogers

• Level 2
      • www.sachsechildcare.com
    « Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 08:52:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ok not sure if I am posting right or not but here goes..... All coaches will generally want soccer players to log food they eat etc.... On our team it was so weight was monitored and make sure enough wAter was being drank.... It was brought up about only eating certain foods eye and i set the coach straight right then and there. My kid is different than others on the team. He just can't carb up before a game and yes he will drink gatoradade instead of water. Now when it comes to play my kid is to be treated just like any other player. It's just that food intake is different according to his needs.....nothing the coach monitors will make a difference in your child's numbers or her control. You and your Endo have that covered Period....
    Heather Rogers

Offline RaymiesMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 08:54:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Nope, nope, and nope. I would just tell him that's what you see an endo for and A just wants to play soccer without dwelling on her D anymore than she already has to.
    April, NJ: Mom to Raymie age 20, Dx. 11/11/03 and Tracy, age 23.
    [imghttp://[/img]

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm in the hell no camp. Unless he wants them for the entire team.  Otherwise it makes me leary if what he could do with them that might cause issues.

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you all so much... I'm so lucky to have all of you at the ready when I need it.

Allens going to talk to him...I'll be at work...will update with the outcome

<hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline shannon

• Level 4
    « Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • I NEVER share food logs especially when it comes to diabetes. Food becomes the enemy when it is picked apart by someone with no knowledge of T1D. If the ENTIRE team has to do it, then sure, I would go along with it. Otherwise no! If he really needs to see something I would provide carb amounts. Realistically though, he is not an endo and has no business trying to help "control" blood sugar in a hormonal teen girl. It's the case of "A little bit of knowledge could be dangerous in the wrong hands". My response would be simply "Thank you for your concern but T1d is very individual for each child so that is why we work closely with our Dr and at this time he/she is pleased with how we are managing the blood sugar numbers."   BLAH! UGH.....I have other words but I would not say them.
    Shannon, mom to Ben 16, Sam 14 and Jamie 4 years old. Sam dx with diabetes @12mo old, pumping with t slim

Offline gsmama

• Admin
    • I hate diabetes.
      • Type 1 Demystified
    « Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 09:15:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • My response would be hell no... no matter what Rylee thought.  I stand firm on coaches, teachers, etc. playing their own role in the care of Rylee.  Let him in this one time and he won't understand his role to me.  I wouldn't want him trying to tell me how to manage my kid's T1.  I've found that coaches who want to be involved too much have no clue what they are talking about.  I'm very opinionated when it comes to this since Rylee has been very active in sports since dx.

This is the opinion I'd go with, and now change my opinion. I don't have experience, I was just going on gut.
    Leslie in New Jersey: mom to ava 11 (non-d) and giovanni 13 (dx'd T1D 7/25/07 and Celiac 1/14)

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.