• Online Today: 60
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Thank you AmyinPA for joining T1P!  (Read 998 times)

Offline T1P Welcome

• Level 4
  • Hello
Thank you AmyinPA for joining T1P!
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:51:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome AmyinPA to T1P!
    Feel free to use this thread to introduce yourself, or check out our Newbie Guide first to help you get more familiar with how the site works.
    Either way - thanks for joining us, we are glad to have you here!

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    Re: Thank you AmyinPA for joining T1P!
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:42:41 PM »
  • Publish
  •  :welcome:
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline AmyinPA

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:01:29 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you! Wow, am I happy to have found this site. Whenever I have been dealing with something in my life I have found support groups with people going through the same thing absolutely invaluable. I can already tell there is a wealth of knowledge for me to absorb by reading the posts from all you that have been there and done that.

Sooo, my son (he's 2-1/2) was diagnosed T1D earlier this week. We got home last night from spending three days at childrens hospital. Needless to say I am still absorbing it all. Feeling emotionally and mentally spent at this point but also so eager to learn, learn, learn. My husband is also T1D (anyone know the stats on heredity like that??) and was diagnosed at 18 months old back in the 70's. So, even though we were all living with it in the house anyway it is a whole different can of worms dealing with a little person having it. We are grateful that we at least are starting off with some base knowledge to go off of and that we caught it early, though the mom guilt kicks in and I kick myself for not checking his sugar two days earlier when I noticed he was asking for more water than usual.  :'(  We have 4 kids and we were having a busy weekend and the drinking thing just didn't strike me as so terribly unusual until Monday he was still doing it.

The hospital is still working on getting his Lantus and carb ratios worked out so in the meantime I am just feeling  bit frustrated that we are following their recommendations to a T and I still feel like his numbers are high (310 at last check). My husband is handling his fluctuations much better than I am. Thank God for him. How long did it take in others experience to get a good protocol worked out? A week? 2 weeks? A month? I keep reminding myself it has been less than 5 days and I need to give it some time for us to all figure out how his body is going to respond.  :-\  Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks for letting me introduce myself (and vent a little).

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 06:03:39 AM »
  • Publish
  •  :welcome: and  <hug>

No guilt, if your temps have been like the rest of the U.S., asking for more water would seem very normal.

It will take time and then it'll change again and again and again. 

We have several on here that littles (my girl was 6).

You're welcome anytime to vent, it's encouraged to maintain sanity  :)

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 10:14:22 AM »
  • Publish
    My daughter was also diagnosed at 2 1/2. She is 7 now. I am glad you found us, it's the best place for support.

It takes time to get ratios correct- then as Andrea said they will change as soon as you think you got them right.

Hang in there and feel free to vent- we all get it. Ask any questions you need answers to also.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline PattyC

• Staff
    « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • :welcome: to the best T1D support place!
    Patty, mom to Matthew 18, dx 12/05, pumping with MM Revel 723. (St. Louis, MO area)

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »
  • Publish

I can already tell there is a wealth of knowledge for me to absorb by reading the posts from all you that have been there and done that.

The parents here don't believe in making people dig for information, so just ask away when you have questions!

Get rid of that mom guilt if you can.  <hug> It sounds like you're doing amazing for only being a week into this ride! Venting is always allowed.  <t-up>

In terms of how long it takes to adjust (with the disclaimer that, of course, it's different for everyone), we felt less shell-shocked and more like it was part of our routine after two or three months. It's not really that the numbers evened out or we found perfect ratios, but because we started to understand how much it fluctuates and how to respond. I bet your learning curve will be shorter because you already have so much knowledge.  :)
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »
  • Publish
  •  :welcome: So sorry you had to join us.

Diabetes is such a roller coaster anyway but in littles...crazy train.  Like Andrea said it will change, then change again, and so on. 

Ask anything.

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.