• Online Today: 82
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Survey for parents with type1 children  (Read 2501 times)

henrik

Survey for parents with type1 children
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • Dear parents,

I'm a student from Germany, studying media computer science at the university of applied science in Düsseldorf. I'm currently developing a hardware product, that helps parents of children with type1 diabetes to always know about their child's current blood sugar level. Therefore I need to understand your everyday challenges concerning type1 diabetes and your child.

I would be very grateful if you could spend 5 minutes for answering my survey:
    http://goo.gl/forms/bWQTh0WLZ1

Thanks and best regards,
    Henrik

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: Survey for parents with type1 children
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Can you tell me more about your product.  How does it differ from the Dexcom Share

I've not clicked the link, but I think the challenges include, financial (cost associated with accessing the product and maintaining (data and other parts to keep it running) and software availability... ios and android

You might have great input through the Night Scout group https://www.facebook.com/groups/cgminthecloud/  http://www.nightscout.info/

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:34:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • I will go answer the survey, but yes.  Especially with the g5 now released I have a hard time thinking that anything else telling parents BGs is new and not old news at this point  :)
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • I answered... but- as mentioned, we already HAVE this.  The vast majority of parents of t1s I know right now are already using dexcom share or nightscout.  We HAVE real time information.

Offline Malin

• Level 2
    « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • Medtronic users with cgm do not have this (at least not in Sweden), so we would be grateful!
    Mother of Isak, dx February -14 and Minna, non-d.
    20140813_195543~2 by mjarbo, on Flickr

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Medtronic users with cgm do not have this (at least not in Sweden), so we would be grateful!

I think nightscout has a solution for medtronic users now.  Might be worth looking into.

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't mean to be rude, and I didn't look at the study, but I can tell you that a 5 minute survey can't even begin to touch the surface of the "need to understand your everyday challenges concerning type1 diabetes and your child."

Give me 5 days, and I could probably cover most of it.  :o
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline Malin

• Level 2
    « Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 03:23:38 AM »
  • Publish
  •  I think nightscout has a solution for medtronic users now.  Might be worth looking into.
    [/quote]

ooooh thank you, I will!  Not sure if Isak would appreciate it though :). It looks like it´s still exeprimental and not recommended for children, but perhaps it would help to have more people using it? We will look in to it.
    Mother of Isak, dx February -14 and Minna, non-d.
    20140813_195543~2 by mjarbo, on Flickr

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think nightscout has a solution for medtronic users now.  Might be worth looking into.

ooooh thank you, I will!  Not sure if Isak would appreciate it though :). It looks like it´s still exeprimental and not recommended for children, but perhaps it would help to have more people using it? We will look in to it.

Nightscout does work with the Medtronic sensors too.  Check out www.nightscout.info or you can join the CGM in the Cloud group on FB.  There are people in Sweden using Nigtscout.

Back to the original post, I can't think what you can offer that is better than what is currently available.  Especially if you are talking hardware, that is a long term process to get FDA approval for a medical device, or more stuff for our kids to carry around if it is some sort of an add on to what they are already using.
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:24:27 AM by HD »
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline Henrik

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hey,

sorry for answering that late, but I had problems with the registration. Nice to see that here is some discussion.

Can you tell me more about your product.  How does it differ from the Dexcom Share

Well, we're at an early stage - gathering ideas and do some research. Of course I know about Dexcom Follow and Nightscout. These projects find a technical solution for your need to check your child's glucose levels remotely. What I want to find out is if there is a better solution. By aggregating several information channels in one tiny device, smartphones and apps are a great source of information and notification on the move. But I often feel stressed by all the notifications arriving on my phone letting it vibrate and peep all the time, particularly when I'm at home or at work (and my notifications are not that important as your critical glucose notifications). And isn't it kind of a waste that your CGM measures permanently, but you only check every few hours?

So the idea is to create a connected desktop light for your home or your office, that transforms the latest glucose measurement value into colored light (red=low, green=ok, blue=high). That way the glucose data can be percieved with a glance, so that it is always available but in an undisturbing, less stressful way. For younger kids the color feedback might also be easier to understand than numbers and graphs.

Feel free to eat me alive :) I'm curious about your feedback.

I don't mean to be rude, and I didn't look at the study, but I can tell you that a 5 minute survey can't even begin to touch the surface of the "need to understand your everyday challenges concerning type1 diabetes and your child."

Give me 5 days, and I could probably cover most of it.  :o

Hey, of course a survey can't cover all your challenges and does not meet what you are facing every day. But I also talked to some parents in 'real life' and try to get more information on the subjects that are relevant for me through the survey. So I would be thankful if some more of you could take the time to answer it :)

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »
  • Publish

• Well, we're at an early stage - gathering ideas and do some research. Of course I know about Dexcom Follow and Nightscout. These projects find a technical solution for your need to check your child's glucose levels remotely. What I want to find out is if there is a better solution. By aggregating several information channels in one tiny device, smartphones and apps are a great source of information and notification on the move. But I often feel stressed by all the notifications arriving on my phone letting it vibrate and peep all the time, particularly when I'm at home or at work (and my notifications are not that important as your critical glucose notifications). And isn't it kind of a waste that your CGM measures permanently, but you only check every few hours?

So the idea is to create a connected desktop light for your home or your office, that transforms the latest glucose measurement value into colored light (red=low, green=ok, blue=high). That way the glucose data can be percieved with a glance, so that it is always available but in an undisturbing, less stressful way. For younger kids the color feedback might also be easier to understand than numbers and graphs.

Feel free to eat me alive :) I'm curious about your feedback.

I love that you're open to having this conversation  :)  Do you have t1?  Do you have a child with t1?  Do you or your child wear dexcom?  Because I assure you, dexcom wearers are NOT checking it only every couple of hours.  Hardly.  Those of us who are using dex are often checking multiple times an hour- if we're intensively managing either ourselves or our child we're glancing every few minutes.  Many people are wearing smart watches to see BG at a glance.  Lights aren't nearly enough info. 

Read up on http://sugarsurfing.com/     

Happy to answer more questions  :)

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • With the release of the Dexcom G5 they've addressed the color coding.

My husband and I wear a pebble watch wi the simple CGM watch face (a sub app created by a Nightscout member) with the dexcom share.  We can glance at our wrist and it'll do a slight buzz when her trend or high/low threshold changes to alert us.

Perhaps I'm not understanding, but I think the technology is already here...

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • So the idea is to create a connected desktop light for your home or your office, that transforms the latest glucose measurement value into colored light (red=low, green=ok, blue=high). That way the glucose data can be percieved with a glance, so that it is always available but in an undisturbing, less stressful way. For younger kids the color feedback might also be easier to understand than numbers and graphs.

I think I understand (and I like the idea of simplicity), but one of the biggest reasons I love the Dexcom is knowing not just whether they're in/out of range, but also how quickly they're rising or falling.

Will be glad to answer the survey now that I know a little more about your research. I appreciate your willingness to learn... this group can throw a lot at you. :)
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 06:33:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sarah, I'm glad you spotlighted that part... I missed the part of it being a light.

I'm still not sure this would be something I'd be interested in...most often during the day we are out and about and the light would be home...at night, it would be off...not able to picture it in our lives

My blog

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
  • Publish

• So the idea is to create a connected desktop light for your home or your office, that transforms the latest glucose measurement value into colored light (red=low, green=ok, blue=high).

I have to agree with the others.  This would really only be helpful if you were sitting at a computer.  If you are sitting at a computer, why not just take the dex receiver and set it in front of you for all the detailed info instead of just a little light?
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.