• Online Today: 74
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 62
Total: 63

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Survey for parents with type1 children  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Henrik

• Level 2
  • I love T1P
Re: Survey for parents with type1 children
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 04:10:44 AM »
  • Publish
  • Those of us who are using dex are often checking multiple times an hour- if we're intensively managing either ourselves or our child we're glancing every few minutes.
    So it's even more important that a checkup on the levels is as simple as possible, isn't it?

I think I understand (and I like the idea of simplicity), but one of the biggest reasons I love the Dexcom is knowing not just whether they're in/out of range, but also how quickly they're rising or falling.
    That's an excellent point, thanks for mentioning. The lamp will show a light gradient, showing the values you were coming from at the bottom and the current value at the top. That way, you can see the tendency easily.

This would really only be helpful if you were sitting at a computer.  If you are sitting at a computer, why not just take the dex receiver and set it in front of you for all the detailed info instead of just a little light?
    Actually it is intended to help when you are busy at home. For example, when you are watching a movie with your family, phoning with a friend, having dinner together, reading a book, working highly focused, having things on the stove... All the time where you can't or don't want to go to your dexcom receiver...

My husband and I wear a pebble watch wi the simple CGM watch face (a sub app created by a Nightscout member) with the dexcom share.  We can glance at our wrist and it'll do a slight buzz when her trend or high/low threshold changes to alert us.
    I agree, Smartwatches are a pretty good solution :) Do the others also use smartwatches? Why, why not?

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • All the time where you can't or don't want to go to your dexcom receiver...

I'm not trying to be obstinate, just trying to understand if I'm missing something.  The current dexcom is accessible by and app for the follower...the new one about to be released is an app on the users phone...in today's society rarely is anyone separated from their cell phone...I'm just not picturing this to be the "better mousetrap"

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • Actually it is intended to help when you are busy at home. For example, when you are watching a movie with your family, phoning with a friend, having dinner together, reading a book, working highly focused, having things on the stove... All the time where you can't or don't want to go to your dexcom receiver...

I guess I don't understand.  I'm "busy" but I'm supposed to stop what I'm doing, walk over to the computer and wake it up to look at the lights on the screen?  Pulling out a dex reciever or glancing at a watch or phone is much simpler.
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
  • Publish

• I agree, Smartwatches are a pretty good solution :) Do the others also use smartwatches? Why, why not?

We don't use a smartwatch yet because at this point its a workaround.  My son is 20, so I don't need to wear a watch to monitor his bg.  At this point, he doesn't feel the need for a watch vs. just using the dex is worth the time/expense.  He will probably get one when the info can go directly from transmitter to watch.  Technology that is coming very soon.
    Michelle

Offline Henrik

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • I guess I don't understand.  I'm "busy" but I'm supposed to stop what I'm doing, walk over to the computer and wake it up to look at the lights on the screen?  Pulling out a dex reciever or glancing at a watch or phone is much simpler.
    Oh no, sorry I didn't explain the idea clear enough. It's a table lamp - a nice looking LED light that you can place at a central place in your living environment. You will be able to see the light being several meters away. No need to activate it.

I'm not trying to be obstinate, just trying to understand if I'm missing something.  The current dexcom is accessible by and app for the follower...the new one about to be released is an app on the users phone...in today's society rarely is anyone separated from their cell phone...I'm just not picturing this to be the "better mousetrap"
    Hehe, and I don't want to convert anybody, just want to find out if I'm on the right track. Right know it seems that I'm trying to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist and that is good to know  ;)

But let me say quickly something about smartphones. The last years the smartphone became more and more the universal device in our lifes. For every purpose there is an app and people don't question that. But let me show some disadvantages.
    • It is more complicated than it has to be. Correct me, but to check the the glucose levels on a phone you have to take it out of the pocket, activate the screen, insert a security code, find the app, wait until its loaded, look at the numbers and then but it back to your pocket. I'd say it takes around 10-15 seconds.
    • It draws your attention. As I sad you can't use your phone while watching a movie or talking to someone without losing attention. This will also affect your social life. You might know the situation when you try to talk to someone who is checking his notifications on the phone? He'll need 3-5 seconds for even noticing that you are talking to him.
    • It is excluding, because a phone is a personal (private) device. Most of the people participating in the survey have more than one child. Why shouldn't they know their sibs glucose status? Or their grandparents, when they come for a visit?

That's why I have an egg timer instead of using the timer app on my phone. And why I'm using self-stick notes. And why my super cool new smart home speakers aren't in use anymore after two weeks...
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:21:46 PM by Henrik »

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • But I don't have to look at my phone unless it alerts me to do so or if I choose to do otherwise.  With our pebble...it accesses the app directly (it isn't the huge nightscout rig...and it's not different than glancing at my wrist to check the time... not intrusive or an interruption.

I still really think the lamp is going to be a hard sell...

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline Henrik

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ok, that is a quite important knowledge for me. Thank you all for the discussion and your input!

Offline HD

• Level 4
    « Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yes, seconding what Andrea said.  I just glance at my watch, and I can see his current level.  I can also see trend arrows and the change since the last reading.
    Heather
    mum to Campbell (18) dx on 20 July 2007 Pumping with the t:slim & Dexcom, and Tom (14) non-D 

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ok so could this be in combination with the other?  I think it would be great to have at night ...I don't wear a watch to bed and am basically lazy, so to glance at the nightstand and see numbers without having to turn over, whether your child is in the next room or away at camp would be pretty convenient. 

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hehe, and I don't want to convert anybody, just want to find out if I'm on the right track. Right know it seems that I'm trying to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist and that is good to know  ;)

Despite the negative feedback you're getting :) I still applaud your research and ingenuity. (Maybe you could survey the parents on what problems they would love to have solved!  ;) )

A few more questions: What about when you're not at home? For school-age children, the light would only be useful for a few hours out of the day. What about households with more than one person with diabetes? Two lights? I move the Dexcom receivers from my desk (daytime) to my bedroom (overnight). Would the light have to be unplugged to move from room to room?

Also, how would the light obtain the glucose data in the first place?

It is excluding, because a phone is a personal (private) device. Most of the people participating in the survey have more than one child. Why shouldn't they know their sibs glucose status? Or their grandparents, when they come for a visit?

I agree that every member of our household is involved with diabetes care just by being exposed to it, but I'm uncomfortable with broadcasting my child's glucose level all the time. Ideally, we would evaluate glucose levels as impersonal information, but unfortunately both high numbers and low numbers can have emotion and judgment attached to them (especially by visitors who are not well-informed). My childrens' Dexcom receivers are kept in a central area of our home (as described above) so I can access them frequently and easily, but I have instructed my children without diabetes that they aren't allowed to check their siblings' numbers without asking first because it feels like an invasion of privacy.
    « Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:15:48 PM by SarahMay »
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • I promise I'm not really a negative person.... Am very sorry if I've come across that way

My blog

Online oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 12:54:17 AM »
  • Publish
  • Those of us who are using dex are often checking multiple times an hour- if we're intensively managing either ourselves or our child we're glancing every few minutes.
    So it's even more important that a checkup on the levels is as simple as possible, isn't it?

I think I understand (and I like the idea of simplicity), but one of the biggest reasons I love the Dexcom is knowing not just whether they're in/out of range, but also how quickly they're rising or falling.
    That's an excellent point, thanks for mentioning. The lamp will show a light gradient, showing the values you were coming from at the bottom and the current value at the top. That way, you can see the tendency easily.

Actually it is intended to help when you are busy at home. For example, when you are watching a movie with your family, phoning with a friend, having dinner together, reading a book, working highly focused, having things on the stove... All the time where you can't or don't want to go to your dexcom receiver...

I agree, Smartwatches are a pretty good solution :) Do the others also use smartwatches? Why, why not?

I don't really think more simple is the answer.  I want numbers and the graph.  A glance at read out is interesting- some people are doing that with nightscout on a tv type screen.  But a smartwatch works great for this.  We do have a pebble though my daughter wears it more than I do as she's at an age that she does a lot of her minute to minute care. 

I really think it sounds like you're doing a lot of work to re-create the wheel.  Perhaps you could join forces with the nightscout gang?
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline Henrik

• Level 2
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 04:43:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hehe, okay I see this is really a subject with discussion potential :) But no need to apologize for your opinion. One advantage of asking people online is that they don't lie on you, because they don't know you in person ;)

A few more questions: What about when you're not at home? For school-age children, the light would only be useful for a few hours out of the day. What about households with more than one person with diabetes? Two lights? I move the Dexcom receivers from my desk (daytime) to my bedroom (overnight). Would the light have to be unplugged to move from room to room?
    Ok so could this be in combination with the other?  I think it would be great to have at night ...I don't wear a watch to bed and am basically lazy, so to glance at the nightstand and see numbers without having to turn over, whether your child is in the next room or away at camp would be pretty convenient. 
    Ok this solution is not intended to be your first and only glucose display. Being on the move you can use your app or mobile website or whatever. Your child feels bad and you want detailed information, check the dexcom receiver. Being at home and don't want to actively check the values every couple of minutes (which I imagine to be very  stressful/burdensome), choose the light. As kcbscrapper pointed out, this is all about convenience and relief. Technically it is just an other output option for your nightscout or dexcom cloud.

I can't answer the other questions at this early stage.

I agree that every member of our household is involved with diabetes care just by being exposed to it, but I'm uncomfortable with broadcasting my child's glucose level all the time. Ideally, we would evaluate glucose levels as impersonal information, but unfortunately both high numbers and low numbers can have emotion and judgment attached to them (especially by visitors who are not well-informed). My childrens' Dexcom receivers are kept in a central area of our home (as described above) so I can access them frequently and easily, but I have instructed my children without diabetes that they aren't allowed to check their siblings' numbers without asking first because it feels like an invasion of privacy.

Ok this is interesting. The advantage of the light is that its function is not identifiable for not inducted guests or colleagues. It is just your new, nice looking mood light. Of course this is not the case for family members. How do the others handle this? Do you also don't want siblings to have the numbers (or better the colors? ;) )

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:45:50 AM by Henrik »

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Now I understand.  The stand alone desk light is an interesting idea.  I could see a young adult who lived alone possibly using this at home.  However,  they would be in the habit of glancing at their watch for more detailed info, so it would really just be a novelty that IMO would be ignored pretty quickly, much like your smart speakers.

Privacy bells went off in my head when you started talking about others taking notice of the light.  BG levels are intensely private.  Those of us who are (or have been) "in charge" of our children's care or those who are old enough to manage things themselves are constantly under scrutiny by caregivers, family, friends, doctors, strangers, etc.   We/they constantly feel judged and are questioned about our methods. 

Bringing up the privacy issue makes me realize I would want no part of this device for my son which would invite a bigger intrusion to his privacy.  My son deals with enough on a daily basis without having family members, friends, roomates, girlfriends, etc. asking him about his bg and what he is doing about it.
    Michelle

Online oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah- I see zero usefulness to the light.  Are you familiar with Sugar Surfing?  Because basically never is a light enough info for me if I'm in charge of managing BGs at that moment.  And if I'm not in charge then it's either not my concern or I need more information.

I like the out of the box thinking though!
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything