• Online Today: 39
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: Just not feeling it  (Read 1257 times)

Offline shannon

• Level 4
Just not feeling it
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sam is starting high school this year. They have not been given their schedules yet and said it would be posted online. It is still not up on the site and guess what? I DON'T CARE! I need to email the teachers with a typical "letter about Sam" and I do not even have it drawn up yet. I could have gone in all week to stock his supplies in the health room and I have not. I don't feel like it. Really have no desire to do so. I'm pretty certain that I'll do it at some point today because after today the school will be closed until it starts on the first day Tuesday. I know that someone at the school is trained in glucagon but I have no idea who it is and I know that I should want to know, but I don't. Sam will carry his nylon bag with his meter, glucagon and fruit snacks. For some reason, that is enough for me to feel that he is safe. Maybe it's the 13 yr anniversary of his dx or that fact that he's been kept alive from k-8 that I just am not worried about it. Maybe I'm suffering from burnout. I'm not sure. I think the bigger problem that I am having is that I'm going from "mom of teens in high school" to adding a new label of "kindergarten mom". Switching gears like this is very hard. I have no desire for the mommy clique. I do not get in an uproar about the peanut free zone, I want nothing to do with mommy drama. Is it because I am so used to middle school/high school where it's all different? Probably. The mommy group is already calling and asking for their little darlings to be put in a class with so and so. I told Jamie...make friends with new kids in your class. Im not sure if Im being a slacker parent or if Im just over it all. Ugh.....
    Shannon, mom to Ben 16, Sam 14 and Jamie 4 years old. Sam dx with diabetes @12mo old, pumping with t slim

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    Re: Just not feeling it
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • I just don't deal with mommy cliques or drama well at all... I'm such an odd ball and we move every few years, I'm lucky to find one or two people I enjoy

<hug>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline shannon

• Level 4
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:44:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • My group of friends are mostly parents of my high schoolers. I'm sure the parents of the kindergartners are very nice also but I think that with most of them, we are at a different stage in our parenting journey. I understand how it is to send your little ones off for the first time and all the excitement that surrounds that. Wanting it to be their best experience  and wanting to have a say in classroom policy and signing up for everything. I'm so far past that. Hubby was asked to work the parking lot parent loop, which is right up his ally!  One of the parents told me today that she is calling the principal because her child was not placed in the classroom with "all of her very best friends". LOL. I'll get used to this all over again. It's just strange right now. I did get to vent a little bit and that made me feel better. A group was complaining about the class being a peanut free zone. Asked me to join them in discontinuing this policy. I smiled and was able to hold my head high when I said "The life of a child is more important than my kids love of peanut butter. Instead of peanut butter she gets a lesson in compassion, empathy and self sacrifice for the good of the group.". I felt a little bit better after that.
    I finally dropped off Sam's supplies and all the kindergarten supplies that were on the list. I'm probably viewed as the mom who does not take an active interest in their child's education but that could be furthest from the truth.
    Shannon, mom to Ben 16, Sam 14 and Jamie 4 years old. Sam dx with diabetes @12mo old, pumping with t slim

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:18:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • You just have a different perspective time than the new moms because of your experiences.  I am sure as the year goes on you will be considered the wise mom that everyone admires! 

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have never asked for either girl to be in a special class because of friends... branch out, make new friends.

When we moved to Chicago it was our first foray into peanut free... her first day with the kit they saw the pb crackers and mentioned she'd need to eat it in xx spot... told them no worries, we'll take it home and replace with cheese crackers... I ask others to help keep my girl safe, we can do our part to help another.

Last year I forgot about the lock down kits until I got a call from the nurse asking if they were coming <roflmao>

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    My blog

Offline KaelynsMom

• Level 4
    « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • I honestly thought I would be able to avoid the "mama drama" while homeschooling. Now that we are getting involved with
    co-ops I realize how wrong I am. I would rather be friendless than deal with the drama.
    -Stephanie  Mom to Kaelyn, age 7 DX 10/31/10

Offline jcsamom

• Level 4
    • KDA
      • KDA not DKA
    « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • I just can't do the drama either.  I was never the super-involved parent when my kids were little, but mostly because I'm a teacher.  If they were at school, I was at work.  By Seth's senior year, I was done. Done with it all.  Bless his heart, he was pretty much on his own.  And thrived! We all have our own level of what we can do. 
    Cassie dx 3/18/16 MDI
    Wife of Jason dx 12/14/12 MDI
    Mom of Seth (19), dx 8/24/12 MDI
    Mom of Josh (22), non-d
    http://kdanotdka.blogspot.com

Offline shannon

• Level 4
    « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for letting me vent. I'm the first to admit that I do not know it all. My kids are not perfect and we are not perfect. I'm sure I'll fall back into the elementary school routine, it just happens to be out of my comfort zone right now.

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • I feel ya.  I feel like I've backed way off on D-directions.  Savannah has been doing a ton of Girl Scout stuff without me and the last weekend I didn't even train anyone on glucagon hands- on.  Gave a quick verbal run-through and left an expired if they wanted to look at it/practice.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline mymomtime

• Level 4
    « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Shannon,

I could have written your post.  I feel the same way.

It is WAY weird having older kids and a kindergartner.  I also have to be careful that I don't come off like I'm bragging because Joseph is spending 1/2 his day of 1/2 day kindergarten in 1st grade and keep my mouth shut.   I so didn't want to go back to the elementary school after Nathan left.  I totally agree that the parents of most of the kindergartners are in a different place on the mothering journey.  It can make it hard to connect.  I haven't had to hear about kid placement in classes, thank goodness.  I did tell a PTA member that I might volunteer, but not to count on it.  I don't want to be involved in the drama that comes with that PTA.

I am not worried about Kristen's diabetes either.  I haven't emailed her teachers.  I dropped stuff off at the nurse's office, Kristen told her how diabetes worked for her from the nurse and the nurse told Kristen what she expected, and we left.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm the first to admit that I do not know it all. My kids are not perfect and we are not perfect. I'm sure I'll fall back into the elementary school routine, it just happens to be out of my comfort zone right now.

I agree with this for myself.  I think that is one reason I want/ed to homeschool.  I didn't want to deal with the elementary school after dealing with the upper schools.
    Jessica
    Mom to Kristen (age 14) d/x 7/25/07 and Nathan (age 12) non-D, and Joseph (age 5)
    Pumping with Animas Ping since 2/12
    Pumped with MM 2/08-2/12

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 05:52:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Shannon,

I agree with this for myself.  I think that is one reason I want/ed to homeschool.  I didn't want to deal with the elementary school after dealing with the upper schools.

lol  my parenting secret.  Laziness....  ;) 
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline Mich*09

• Staff
    « Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • You know, with Sam I think you are realizing that you don't need to be that involved.  Grant was dx in 8th grade and I didn't really know enough in the beginning to set things differently than what they told me they did.  (Meter was kept in office, he went there to test, etc.)

Anyway, because I never had the experience of being super involved with school staff in d care at the elementary (like those with earlier dx have to) or even much at the middle school.  So,  I didn't feel the need to in high school.  I never did a "Grant" letter for his teachers.  We didn't have supplies around the school.  He carried everything with him.  I don't think you should feel like a slacker at all.  At this point, Sam knows way more about it than anyone in the building.  He can handle his daily care while at school.  Being confident in his ability doesn't make you a slacker.

As far as Kindergarten.  Yeah, it's funny how perspective changes as we go through those stages once or twice or more times.  Some things that got our undies in a bunch in the early years just don't seem that important anymore.  I guess that's why Grandparents always seem to be so much more patient and low key than new parents!
    Michelle
    Mom to - Jordan 22, Grant (19 dx 9/17/09 MM Revel 6/1/10), Brett 16

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • I feel ya.  I feel like I've backed way off on D-directions.  Savannah has been doing a ton of Girl Scout stuff without me and the last weekend I didn't even train anyone on glucagon hands- on.  Gave a quick verbal run-through and left an expired if they wanted to look at it/practice.

I am so much more relaxed...this is where it's store if she passes our or seizing...quick instructions...picture instructions inside...call 911 then me...have fun!

I think part of it, is her having Dexi...the lows aren't as scary any more since they're not so unpredictable

My blog

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.
    anything