• Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (September 14, 2016, 12:21:10 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

T1P Official Shop

Get your Official T1P and Diabetes Awareness gear right here!

Click image to visit our store!
 Redesigned products!

Proceeds from sales go to support the operation of this website!

Author Topic: So Mackenzie learned a hard lesson  (Read 2568 times)

Offline lizzye6

• Level 4
  • I love T1P
Re: So Mackenzie learned a hard lesson
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:22 AM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug> <hug> <hug>

Mom to Charles 24 ,Dantha 23 ,Fala 14 [dx 9-11-2010]pumping with the ping since[ 9-26-2011] and my baby Halona 13

Offline Swoopie

• Level 4
    « Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I don't know much about cataracts but I have an astigmatism and have worn glasses since I was 11, 12 years before I was diagnosed with t1. Sounds more like regular she issues, not necessarily d related, as others have said.
    Robin, 34, PA
    Dx Type 1 6-6-05
    Pumpin' 2-6-06 Minimed Revel 723
    CGM 5-9-10
    Claire Elizabeth born 3-25-12
    Ian James born 12-19-14

Offline angieh

• Level 4
    « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • I agree on this, doesn't sound diabetes-related. BUT....if it scares her into compliance, so be it.

<hug> <hug> <hug> <hug> <hug>

BUT.... I think the vision things aren't D.  Cataracts aren't usual D complications for young people.  I know people with D complications and they're different.  Ditto the astigmatism. 

So... it sucks, but I don't think it's D and teen rebellion related.

Also mom to little Miss V, 2.5 years old, non-D

[IMG]http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o668/aherbrand/564447_457662694304559_1513802505_n_zpsa917b052.png[

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    • Discovering Our New Normal
      • Life With My Giggly Girls
    « Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 09:12:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • If she does have the astigmatism, I'm sure that is genetic. She still has to have a recheck on that though.  Too early yet.  Almost everyone in our families has had vision issues of some sort (Nobody with cataracts though. We conducted a thorough poll) at least by the early 20s.   Except me. lol Although I did just get my first pair of glasses for driving at 44. Not too shabby.   

The cataracts she has for certain.  We go to the endo Friday to hear his take. Our CDE did say that cataracts tends to develop faster in diabetics as well as younger than the norm. It is extremely rare for it to develop in children but it's probably the most like cause for her as she hasn't had any eye trauma, parasitic infections or something called galactosaemia. I'm still hoping that some sort of family history pops up.  We should get our referral to an ophthalmologist from them too.

Kevin and I were hoping that surgery was going to be the answer. Then I stupidly started reading about the cataracts and diabetes and I read that having the lens removed can cause glaucoma to start to develop.  So I stopped reading about it.

Even though her cataracts is considered mild, if she closes her good eye, she can't read anything, at any distance. I'm not sure how they treat it outside of surgery. But she could never pass an eye exam to get a driver's license like this.  Hopefully glasses or something can help improve her vision somewhat, if surgery isn't an option for her.   Although she's lost FIVE pairs of sunglasses since we've found out. FIVE!  2 pairs of which were mine. It also explains the incredible amount of missed math problems lately. She has been mixing up addition and division signs.  :o  So now I write a D for division and M for multiplication and her grades are vastly improved. lol

In more happy news, I finally got Kayleigh slightly, very slightly, interested in the omnipod. She and I watched a few videos of pod insertions with kids and she was intrigued enough to mention it to Kevin that she was going to do her own pod changes. She swore she wasn't getting one 5 minutes later but she wants a new doll crib so now that the door has been opened, it should be almost bump free. Possibly. lol  The letter of medical necessity is written and just needs to be signed when the doc returns. Traveling doctors are one of the annoying things about military doctors. But it will be sent off by Friday at the latest because he has an appointment with us. 

Wife to my hero, Kevin
    Mom to Mackenzie (14, T1, DX 9/17/12, Pinging Green)
    & Kayleigh (7, T1, DX 11/20/12, Podding)
    www.prncsstefy.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GigglyGirls

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • I had/have cataracts...I even had secondary cataracts... it's not necessarily d or genetic related.  No one younger than a senior in my family tree...but I also had tear duct issues and that's normally in small children.

What sort of cataract does she have..."cloudy" type?  Mine was wrinkling under the lens

Not discounting what they said but it's not unheard of d or no d...my first ophthalmologist at Landstuhl said I was 'too young' (early 30s) and come back in 4-6 months... ended up seeing the chief and he was so angry... the other doc was no longer allowed anywhere near me...

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline kcbscrapper

• Staff
    • 18 year old son - Dx type 1 11/09 Dx Graves 11/10
    « Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
  • Publish
  •  <hug>
    Regardless of what caused them it's hard to see our kids deal with one more thing.
    Hope the extra attention from you helps her get back on track with D care. 

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    « Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • So when we told the endo about it he, of course, wanted to look at it.  He was surprised that he could actually see it so well. (It was kind of funny how stunned he was. lol)  To his untrained eye it looked much more than mild and it's right in her field of vision. (Hers is cloudy, btw.)  So off to the ophthalmologist we go.  He sent in the referral right away.  His best guess is that they'll opt for surgery since it's right in her field of vision. 

Both their A1Cs were up.  Mackenzie was an entire point.  Kayleigh's was up .8.   No surprises there. Neither were alarmingly high.

He signed off on the Letter of Medical Necessity for the pods and that was faxed immediately. He told Kayleigh that he couldn't wait for her to be pumping again.  She glared at him and snapped the latex gloves she was wearing at him. lolol

But we had our JDRF Walk on Sunday and naturally omnipod was there.  So I took her to meet the rep because I knew, from speaking with her on the phone, that Kayleigh would love her.  She did.  It was love at first sight.  The rep loaded her up with demo pods for Rufus the bear and put one on her.  Kayleigh declared that she loved it and was never taking it off. lol Problem solved. It was really too easy for someone of my skill level.  ;)  Of course she took it off today because it was on her leg and she had dance today and didn't want it there because she could see it through her tights. lol

Wife to my hero, Kevin

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • So when we told the endo about it he, of course, wanted to look at it.  He was surprised that he could actually see it so well. (It was kind of funny how stunned he was. lol)  To his untrained eye it looked much more than mild and it's right in her field of vision. (Hers is cloudy, btw.)  So off to the ophthalmologist we go.  He sent in the referral right away.  His best guess is that they'll opt for surgery since it's right in her field of vision. 

Both their A1Cs were up.  Mackenzie was an entire point.  Kayleigh's was up .8.   No surprises there. Neither were alarmingly high.

He signed off on the Letter of Medical Necessity for the pods and that was faxed immediately. He told Kayleigh that he couldn't wait for her to be pumping again.  She glared at him and snapped the latex gloves she was wearing at him. lolol

But we had our JDRF Walk on Sunday and naturally omnipod was there.  So I took her to meet the rep because I knew, from speaking with her on the phone, that Kayleigh would love her.  She did.  It was love at first sight.  The rep loaded her up with demo pods for Rufus the bear and put one on her.  Kayleigh declared that she loved it and was never taking it off. lol Problem solved. It was really too easy for someone of my skill level.  ;)  Of course she took it off today because it was on her leg and she had dance today and didn't want it there because she could see it through her tights. lol

If you need pics of pods under dance clothes hit me up  :)  Savannah cares not what people see and refuses to put her stuff where it's less noticeable.   ;D
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline SarahMay

• Level 3
    « Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »
  • Publish

If you need pics of pods under dance clothes hit me up  :)  Savannah cares not what people see and refuses to put her stuff where it's less noticeable.   ;D

Can't imagine where she got her not-gonna-take-your-crap attitude.  <roflmao>  <t-up>
    Sarah - wife to Aaron, mom to
    Matthew (9) non-D
    Jonah (8) DX 02/05/14 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Isaiah (8) DX 01/10/13 (Animas Ping, Dexcom)
    Gideon (5) non-D

Offline oddangela

• Level 4
    • I love T1P
    « Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • Can't imagine where she got her not-gonna-take-your-crap attitude.  <roflmao>  <t-up>

<roflmao> <roflmao> <roflmao> <roflmao>

ya know when your mom curses you and says- may you have a kid just like you!  yeah.  that.
    Angela- Mom to S- 8/9/04 (dx 5/4/11)  G- 6/4/08 and L- 4/3/12 and W- 3/18/15

Offline andrea

• Admin
      • My Blog
    « Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • If they go the surgery route...talk to the doc and see if she's a candidate for a multi focal lens...MEDCOM approved the use of those right after my 2nd surgery...it will save her from needing bifocals to accommodate a reading lens

Mom to Annelies, 14 (Dx 18 Mar 08~Pumping MM Oct 08-May 12, Omnipod May 12-Aug 13. tSlim Aug 13+ ~Dexcom Oct 11), Katy, 18 (non-D) and Jory (non-D/US Navy)
    God created wine to keep Army Wives from taking over the world
    My blog

Offline stefaniemsmith1

• Level 4
    « Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Can't imagine where she got her not-gonna-take-your-crap attitude.  <roflmao>  <t-up>

<roflmao> <roflmao> <roflmao> <roflmao>

ya know when your mom curses you and says- may you have a kid just like you!  yeah.  that.

I would love to have had a kid like I was.  I was so quiet and shy. I barely spoke to my parents let alone sassed.  But sadly I had kids like me NOW. (Major personality change in college.)   :o  The small one is the worst of all. lol

Thanks for the tip Andrea.  She goes on the first so I will definitely mention that to the doctor. 

Tricare approved the pods (and my doc wrote the script for every other day) so we got four months worth for free thanks to the extra box.  Everything is on it's way. 

Wife to my hero, Kevin

Offline apeanes

• Level 3
    « Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just going to say it.. I love your kids... :)  good luck to Mac.. and tell Kayleigh Sean pods too and won't even consider a different pump..  It was great to see you Sunday
    Anna, mom to
    Sean, 12 dx 4/2010
    Phil, 5

The life of man is like a game with dice; if you donít get the throw you want, you must show your skill in making the best of the throw you get. - Terence

Humor prevents one from becoming a tragic figure even though he / she is involved in tragic events. - E. T. Eberhart

Facebook Comments

Close
    Dear Guest, We hope that you are enjoying the T1P Community. If so, we hope you take advantage of more benefits of this great community by becoming a registered member.